Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

They've certainly gotten less wordy.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

I blame millennials, society, and the Illuminati. And the fact the modern desire to keep the classic untouchable leading to a prevention of development for any non classic characters who are forced to have just "cool action shots" over and over again insted of growing because if they became popular people might like them more then classic and that's bad for resions no one can explain to me. Creating a system that hampers creativity( I doubt you would do your best work if to had to hamper your creation because creating a character that could be better then the classics is ground upon cause no nostalgia) forcing a large quanity of action to supplement development while being overtly safe as possible isnt a problem just millennials, society, and the Illuminati and only millennials, society, and the Illuminati(and maybe aliens)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Cost cutting measure? I believe comics, like most if not all pop culture, are reflective of the times they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Cost cutting measure? I believe comics, like most if not all pop culture, are reflective of the times they're in.
    It's supposed to be a writing technique to allow the artist to tells story through visual context but not everyone is versed in this technique or show not tell which was the opposite to Claremonts approach. Tell all and cover the art with speech bubbles

In general I'd say it's more that modern scribes have significantly more direct communication with their collaborators, and therefore trust them more to convey ideas with their art. Much dialogue/narration/captioning in older comics is on the superfluous side, they couldn't be sure the art would read so there'd be a panel of Stupendous Dan walking out of a room angrily shouting "I'm furious!" and a caption explaining why he was furious. If the artist is in any way competent you only need the wordless panel.

Of course if you want a character to be reciting a speech or poem, you can do that. But comics are a visual medium, you're going to want to be conservative with your word count.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

Be glad about that I'm sure you wouldnt want this level of dialog in xmen,Togashi and his dialog fetish at is worst

18.jpg
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 12-13-2018 at 08:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It's supposed to be a writing technique to allow the artist to tells story through visual context but not everyone is versed in this technique or show not tell which was the opposite to Claremonts approach. Tell all and cover the art with speech bubbles
    The latter sounds like spoon-feeding, to some degree, that leaves little room for interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Lord Claremont was a godsend to the franchise. His Bolton backup stories from Classic X-Men are among his finest works, for certain.
    Sure without him we wouldn't even be having many of these conversations. However I have been re-reading the run he did in X-Treme X-Men and woof is it a hard slog. Just goes to show even "the best" can give us some weak content.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Sure without him we wouldn't even be having many of these conversations. However I have been re-reading the run he did in X-Treme X-Men and woof is it a hard slog. Just goes to show even "the best" can give us some weak content.
    He's made some work I don't like so much(his Exiles, for example, or some of his X-Men Forever stuff), but I loved his X-Treme. It was an excellent complement to Morrison's New X-men. That period(into his XSE Uncanny) was the last time I really enjoyed the franchise.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

... Much dialogue/narration/captioning in older comics is on the superfluous side...
    You'll get no argument from me on that. You may have even understated it a bit, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    ... I have been re-reading the run he did in X-Treme X-Men and woof is it a hard slog. ...
    I found it that way, even back in the day. Wasn't a fan then, and still am not now. Liked the art, tho.

It was weird seeing her have her team attack the animals like that.

Jean has always been a lover of animals, and very empathic towards them.

In classic Xmen, she communicates with the dolphin.

In Uncanny, when the O5 were attacked by a murder of crows, she first tries to use telepathy to make them stop, before attacking

In Xmen unlimited, she felt a dead dogs memories of being tortured, and went to stop the boys from doing it to a squirrel. When juggernaut said they were just animals, she mentally f***ed him up.

It was weird that she didn't attempt to use telepathy to communicate with the animals and tel them to stop attacking, or use telepathy to put them to sleep. Or maybe they had mental defenses, cause it seems every random civilian she comes across has power mind defenses that an omega level mutant can't get past

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Be glad about that I'm sure you wouldnt want this level of dialog in xmen,Togashi and his dialog fetish at is worst
    That is bad, not the worst I've seen of a comics scribe forgetting they were writing a comic but still pretty bad. I suppose this guy at least stuck to a comic layout, Dave Sim couldn't even do that when he really needed to tell people he was crazy.

You'll get no argument from me on that. You may have even understated it a bit, IMO.
    Yeah, I'm trying not to ruffle any feathers.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 12-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    That's more of the fault of having so many characters in Uncanny, the "little guys/gals" need something to do so the people capable of handling the situation with ease on their own just stand back. I'm still shocked that Psylocke couldn't mess with a mob with tp because something something they are angry.
    The Psylocke thing is hilarious

Storm: take them out Elizabeth
    Betsy: but they're like, really angry

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quite simply...a different class of writers for a different class of readers in a very different time of comics.
    It is what it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    The Psylocke thing is hilarious

Storm: take them out Elizabeth
    Betsy: but they're like, really angry
    Storm: Do that thing Jean did in Poland
    Betsy: Ok #1 I wasn't there and #2 I'd really rather just stab and hit things right now