Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Would You Want a 'Life Story' Universe?

Spinning out of the Spider-Man mini and as part of Marvel's 80th Anniversary celebrations I wonder whether it would be interested if Marvel used it as the starting block for an entire section of minis, each one focused on different heroes and concepts, maybe all collectively part of the same universe which commences with the Fantastic Four's spaceflight in 1961 and lives by the rule that everything happens in real time, real world events can be mirrored in the comics, that if characters die they likely stay dead (certainly by old age), and most importantly that characters first appear in the universe in the year they first appeared in the comics. Would that be something you would like Marvel to keep working on?

I'm not sure the concept can support an entire line of books where the selling point is "the same, but they get old." However, the character best suited for this premise is Iron Man due to the rapidly shifting nature of business/military/technology/politics over the decades. So if Spider-Man is successful, we can just clone Spencer or Slott, and have them write Tony Stank: Life Story. Shucks, Nick basically already did Falcon: Life Story in the last issue of his Cap run. I just want to see Tony evolve/devolve into a rich Jim Lahey. Is that too much to ask?!

If it was an alternate universe maybe.

However, I don't see the concept working long term. For a long laundry list of reasons.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

for Scott and Cassie Lang? sure.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think applying it further will work. It has a gimmick that doesn't change just because you use another character. Tony Stark in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc isn't all that different than Peter Parker in those decades, or, at least those decades are not any different. Otherwise we've had plenty of "old man/future X" stories to allow writers and readers an idea of what a life of superheroing will lead to.

We've seen an FF story with their counterparts getting powers in the sixties and aging in real time. It certainly is a valid concept. What would the eighties and the tech boom have meant to a Tony Stark who had made his fortune in Viet Nam era munitions? Seeing Cap through the years with a real focus on each decades attitudes could be fun.

I'd make it a Stan Lee thing, using his day one and running it in real time from there. A series of What If Marvel aged in real time? set of books.

It could be great. It could also sucks, but let's be honest, anything cominbg out could suck.

not really. But I'm sure it's going to happen, regardless. What if storylines are already the standard.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    We've seen an FF story with their counterparts getting powers in the sixties and aging in real time. It certainly is a valid concept. What would the eighties and the tech boom have meant to a Tony Stark who had made his fortune in Viet Nam era munitions? Seeing Cap through the years with a real focus on each decades attitudes could be fun.

I'd make it a Stan Lee thing, using his day one and running it in real time from there. A series of What If Marvel aged in real time? set of books.

It could be great. It could also sucks, but let's be honest, anything cominbg out could suck.
    A Captain America one would be particularly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    A Captain America one would be particularly interesting.
    so, what year would Steve be revived and then "naturally" live his life from that point forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    for Scott and Cassie Lang? sure.
    Oof! My feelings!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so, what year would Steve be revived and then "naturally" live his life from that point forward?
    A Cap one probably wouldn't have that much new ground to cover since a timeline where he was never frozen at all has already been covered in House of M and we've seen his thoughts on every decade in his actual book, but maybe a fleshed out version could be worthwhile.

I'd actually be most interested to see how team books would work.

At what age do people like Hawkeye retire. Does old cranky Ironman still hang around the mansion telling the new kids what to do? How about Thor who hasn't aged at all?