Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Avengers #11 Review/SPOILERS

After last month's gi-normous, slam-bang anniversary issue, it was probably a given that this would not be as splashy and issue and, sure enough, that's what Avengers #11 is.

This is basically an epilogue for the previous arc and a table-setter for impending storylines.

Aaron has three separate threads this issue, the first involving Coulson interrogating a prisoner who used to be an ally. The second involving T'Challa hosting an international summit at Avengers Mountain, and the third involving Thor and She-Hulk and a date in the Savage Land.

This is an all-talk, no action issue but all three threads contain intriguing developments.

With Coulson, it's clear that something has changed in him. Even though he claims it's simply that he's no longer mired in hero worship, there's a newfound cold blooded quality to him. His prisoner tries to talk sense into him but to no avail. Coulson deems him an enemy, a spy on behalf of T'Challa. Coulson reveals that the Squadron Supreme is up and running, making a successful test run against Atlanteans in Alaska. They'll make themselves known to the Avengers at a time of the government's choosing. At the end of the issue, Coulson kills his prisoner in a life or death scuffle. From their conversation throughout the issue, we're led to believe that the dead man is a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, like Phil, but his identity is not revealed. That identity might be revealed at a later time but for now it's a mystery.

Perhaps the identity of the dead man is irrelevant and the point of his murder is simply to show how ruthless Phil is now - even against his former allies.

The international summit establishes that Russia will not be cooperative with the Avengers and that the tension between the US and The Avengers - now that they're led by the King of Wakanda - is apparent. We also see that T'Challa is troubled by the mystery of who put down the Atlanteans in Alaska.

And the date between Jen and Thor is surprisingly sweet. It begins awkwardly as Jen believes that Thor really wants to be out with She-Hulk but Thor turns things around by making a heartfelt speech. Clearly this is going to be a relationship that runs deeper than physical attraction.

Overall this was a solid issue. As stated, it's a far less dramatic issue than the previous one but that's to be expected. But important developments do occur.

The Coulson segment is probably the most key element as it makes it very clear that Phil is a genuine threat now and it also raises suspicions as to what's really going on with him.

The summit is interesting as it shows the challenges that T'Challa is facing and shows that a) Russia is going to be a thorn in his side and b) that he and the Avengers are going to be blindsided by the Squadron Supreme.

And I like that Aaron is making it clear that Thor and Jen's romance is not going to be played just for laughs. There's real emotions at stake.

Looking forward to next issue and the introduction of T'Challa's All-New Secret Avengers.

this guy is just nu-Bendis. I'm giving him a shot because I like the Squadron Supreme. but so far, all of this just reads like little kids playing with action figures. I don't even care who Phil shot. they'll probably just reveal everyone to be skrulls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    this guy is just nu-Bendis. I'm giving him a shot because I like the Squadron Supreme. but so far, all of this just reads like little kids playing with action figures. I don't even care who Phil shot. they'll probably just reveal everyone to be skrulls.
    Haha, well - I'm gonna bet against that. I do think that the lack of an ID reveal at the end of this issue was odd, though.

Either the dead man's identity is going to be revealed soon, that The Avengers will learn that so-and-so's body was discovered or it's just meant to be an anonymous victim and the point is that Phil ain't playing.

Looking forward to the Squadron and the Avengers throwing down. I suspect it's going to be brutal.

As for the action figure angle - I think when it comes to group books like Avengers or the JL, that's part of the appeal. These are big characters, involved in grand scale action. It's less about nuanced character studies as it is about larger than life escapades. That said, I think Aaron's character work here is perfectly fine. Since the opening arc, which was very action-driven, things have slowed down enough to spend more time on character interactions.

I especially liked Robbie and Carol's conversation in this issue as well as Thor and Jen's.

I really liked the Black Panther scenes although the art there was pretty rough but found the Coulson stuff dull. Wouldn't have minded if it had ended with an interesting reveal but I was bored with the character when he first appeared let alone now post-ressurection. And the trite way that characters discuss their own death and rebirths has now become just painfully cliched.

I genuinely expected him to say "i'm Evil Phil Coulson!!" followed by a chris evans head back laugh.

Astonishing Member

I can't even with this Coulson. There has to be an explanation and it better be a good one.

Extraordinary Member

The tiny bit about the vampire insurgency is interesting. We saw in Domino that Morbius the Living Vampire was kidnapped by a group of vampires who wanted to use his unique form of vampirism to take over the world. Could this be the same plot thread?

One thing to remember about Blade is that, while the matter is up for debate and has been retconed and debated for a long time, should Aaron choose to use it, Blade was technically infected with Morbius's vampirism.

This might explain why Dracula captured him instead of killing him.

The best they can come up with for an international team is Sabra and Arabian Knight? I suppose it's reflective if the real world. Human rights violators unite

I feel like Batroc should represent France

Thinking about getting this but can anyone tell me when Phill came back to life, Deadpool killing him in Secret Empire was a pretty big plot point but I can't remember if he was brought back to life or if it was just ignored.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    The best they can come up with for an international team is Sabra and Arabian Knight? I suppose it's reflective if the real world. Human rights violators unite

France has several actual heroes to choose from; Le Peregrine being the most well known. but the Thing also adventured with their version of the Avengers. and they were a relatively powerful set (superman, flash, iron man, and batman analogues).

You could probably put together a descent team of people made up of characters from the Original Contest of champions if they wanted to. Shamrock, Blitzkreig, Peregrine, etc. They'd largely be a bunch of Z listers though.

Well, i thought arabian knight was dead, so that’s a nice surprise. I’m looking forward to seeing sunfire again- is the black panther calling this group the illuminati? Do the avengers know about this?