Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He was a violent gulag prisoner in Brubaker's Bucky stuff years back. He was used by the prisoners to fight and kill any other inmate who fell out of line, and before Bucky he tore them apart. Bucky left him there, too. He should not be okay after all that. Even in Tales of Suspense, he was still a prisoner. Him being so chill in Tales of Suspense is what didn't make sense for the character, not him being unhinged.
    I'd forgotten that story, though I don't think it makes much sense that he would then so rabidly serve the country that threw him into a gulag. And given his past, Aaron depicting him as a zealot hardliner imprisoned for being too extreme doesn't match with any of his prior characterization.

And I'd like the Major with self control over the 2738363 and 5th raging animal archetype, thanks.

I still think that Red Widow will be revealed to be Natasha.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'd forgotten that story, though I don't think it makes much sense that he would then so rabidly serve the country that threw him into a gulag. And given his past, Aaron depicting him as a zealot hardliner imprisoned for being too extreme doesn't match with any of his prior characterization.

And I'd like the Major with self control over the 2738363 and 5th raging animal archetype, thanks.
    It's his duty. Why does Steve Rogers fight so hard for a country that accepted fascist rule?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    It's his duty. Why does Steve Rogers fight so hard for a country that accepted fascist rule?
    Cap fights for the good fight and doesn't tow any party line. Hell, Ursa Major did much the same, defecting with Vanguard and Darkstar back in the day.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Cap fights for the good fight and doesn't tow any party line. Hell, Ursa Major did much the same, defecting with Vanguard and Darkstar back in the day.
    Pretty much this, though I'd add that Steve fights because he ultimately believes in the dream of what America can be and he believes in the people themselves. It's the government he's long since given up on, if anything.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I absolutely loved this issue. Really loving this book now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much this, though I'd add that Steve fights because he ultimately believes in the dream of what America can be and he believes in the people themselves. It's the government he's long since given up on, if anything.
    to play devil's advocate...how do we know that's not how Ursa Major feels? they throw him in prison and he still serves his country because of national pride. Steve Rogers has been in handcuffs before.

Ultimate Member

to play devil's advocate...how do we know that's not how Ursa Major feels? they throw him in prison and he still serves his country because of national pride. Steve Rogers has been in handcuffs before.
    Because his intro dialogue presents him as a zealot, not an idealist. Which is odd, as he's been a reformist since the 80s.

I wonder if Mr. Aaron pitched the "surprise" characters as UltraForce, but....

BANNED

I like how Aaron is bringing out some of my favourite characters into the book... Captain Britain, Blade, Ka-Zar, The Winter Guard. I hope they have big, meaningful appereances coming up.

Okay, now that I have read it;
    1) if coulson ever comes back to his senses, he’d better have a damn good explanation for his current behavior. Otherwise, I wash my hands of him. Need to find a new avatar, I suppose.
    2) I guess ursa major’s being there has been sufficiently explained, but why even invite the Russians to the table?
    3) kind of wondering why more countries weren’t represented.

Playing catch up but this mostly interstitial book was fascinating. It answers one of the big questions that we have been asking: what exactly happened with the Atlantan troops and how they could be overcome so easily? As well as asking a much bigger question, what were they investigating and/or trying to stop.

I really like damaged Coulson. He looks like he has been radicalised.

Aaron proved once and for all that he knows the difference between Thor and Herc, which has always been a lazy and unfounded criticism but it’s nice to have an issue to point to.

Overall we are beginning to see whoever the powers that are influencing the US built up as the villains, which is always a fascinating thing for somebody watching on from the other side of the pond.

I think the only part I find strange still is the way Aaron is handling Robbie. I get that he is playing with archetypes but he just doesn’t seem like the same character at all.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-19-2018 at 04:18 AM.

No idea why everyone is having an argument about the behaviour of Ursus. He was playing a role. Those present even called it out, even if the vague speech bubble doesn’t make it clear who exactly points it out.

Not only that, he was insightful about what was happening thereby acting as an appropriate expository character. He also punctured the pomp of the occasion which, let’s face it, T’Challa needs sometimes.

I suspect Aaron was subtly hinting at a parallel between T’Challa and Ozymandias. Indeed there is a underlying Watchmen feel to the issue. Ursus as The Comedian.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-19-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    No idea why everyone is having an argument about the behaviour of Ursus. He was playing a role. Those present even called it out, even if the vague speech bubble doesn’t make it clear who exactly points it out.

Not only that, he was insightful about what was happening thereby acting as an appropriate expository character. He also punctured the pomp of the occasion which, let’s face it, T’Challa needs sometimes.

I suspect Aaron was subtly hinting at a parallel between T’Challa and Ozymandias. Indeed there is a underlying Watchmen feel to the issue. Ursus as The Comedian.
    that's a good way to look at it!