Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Jason Bourne vs IP-Man (Donnie Yen)

Jason Bourne challenges the one and only IP-Man played by Donnie Yen and IP-Man is in his prime.

Round 1: Fists only. No feet. No weapons.

Round 2: Fists and feet only. No weapons.

Round 3: Both have a knife.

Round 4: Can use any weapons they've used. NO GUNS OR EXPLOSIVES for Bourne.

Bonus rounds with all the above round's rules applying:

1) The Northerner

2) General Miura and the 10 Karate Black Belts

3) Master Hung

4) Twister

5) Thai Boxer

6) Frank

7) Max Zheng

How far does he get?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Regarding Bourne versus Ip Man.

When Bourne can fight his way through crowds of people armed with machetes, beating them all up without getting hurt...

When Bourne can bend machetes by punching them on the flats, or knock people eight feet in the air by hitting them...

When Bourne can use a wooden skid to push against a crowd of angry men and force them all backward...

...he's ready to try to fight Donnie Yen Ippy.

I love the Bourne movies, and I am not a fan of the Ip Man movies despite enjoying mostly every other Donnie Yen movie out there, but the more realistic (not fully realistic, MORE realistic) Bourne is simply outclassed by the much-less realistic Ip Man.

Not really interested in the other fights, so I won't comment.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

When Bourne can fight his way through crowds of people armed with machetes, beating them all up without getting hurt...

When Bourne can bend machetes by punching them on the flats, or knock people eight feet in the air by hitting them...

When Bourne can use a wooden skid to push against a crowd of angry men and force them all backward...

I love the Bourne movies, and I am not a fan of the Ip Man movies despite enjoying mostly every other Donnie Yen movie out there, but the more realistic (not fully realistic, MORE realistic) Bourne is simply outclassed by the much-less realistic Ip Man.

Very great response and in contrast, while I like Ip-Man way more than Bourne and agree that he is more realistic to a degree, he is still a monster compared to other more mundane action movie fighters and his fighting style is not all that realistic and has done crazy feats with any seemingly non-weaponized object like a book and fell six floors down and survived. But yeah I think you summed it up well, I'm just waiting for the other Rumblers to comment.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    So how well does Northerner fare against Bourne? A crazy martial-artist enhanced agent?

What about the other rounds (which I'm waiting for the others to answer)?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

jason gets folded up like a old wallet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

1: You mean machetes that seem to bend and flap in the open wind? I'd say Bourne can handle that
    2: 'knocking' guys into the air, like guys intentionally jumping and falling backwards when they get punched? Call me unimpressed.
    3: Jason Bourne has pushed groups of guys around with random objects, like all the time. In one instance, pinning a world-class assassin against a wall using a book (then proceeding to beat his with it).

4: Bourne's fights are against competent opponents, a bunch of slackers with rubber pads claiming they're wielding machetes is a few steps down from competent, just sayin'.

So, based on your criteria, Bourne wins.

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    1: You mean machetes that seem to bend and flap in the open wind? I'd say Bourne can handle that
    2: 'knocking' guys into the air, like guys intentionally jumping and falling backwards when they get punched? Call me unimpressed.
    3: Jason Bourne has pushed groups of guys around with random objects, like all the time. In one instance, pinning a world-class assassin against a wall using a book (then proceeding to beat his with it).

4: Bourne's fights are against competent opponents, a bunch of slackers with rubber pads claiming they're wielding machetes is a few steps down from competent, just sayin'.

This is not how we debate here. Regardless of prop effects, the fact of the matter is that based on presentation and feats in fights, Ip has showcased superhuman strength in fights against opponents drastically stronger than Bourne.

For instance, here we have The Northener completely humiliating kung-fu masters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJL8JJihcs

Ip Man humiliating the same guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04SKwZNjME

Also, it's a movie. By the same logic you presented, we could just say that Jason isn't impressive because shaky cam and everything he's being attacked with is fake.

It's Fiction. We take the feats as presented so long as they are high end and consistent for the characters.

I mean heck, if we just threw everything out because special effects, where would that leave superhero movies?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Fighting feats are based on actions portrayed, even if the movie doesn't actually make sense. We accept that Ben Affleck Daredevil can break a person's knee by kicking them from behind the knee somehow. We also accept that Ip Man's feats are as they are portrayed. He is that strong.

Bruh this ain't the first time you've not followed the rules here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    Jason Bourne challenges the one and only IP-Man played by Donnie Yen and IP-Man is in his prime.

Round 1: Fists only. No feet. No weapons.

Round 2: Fists and feet only. No weapons.

Round 3: Both have a knife.

Round 4: Can use any weapons they've used. NO GUNS OR EXPLOSIVES for Bourne.

Bonus rounds with all the above round's rules applying:

1) The Northerner

2) General Miura and the 10 Karate Black Belts

3) Master Hung

4) Twister

5) Thai Boxer

6) Frank

7) Max Zheng

How far does he get?
    1A: In a strict fist fight, The Northener is kinda stuck in a limited fighting style, but I still see him overpowering Jason.

1B: Now free to fight freely, The Northener wrecks Jason.

1C: See above. A knife isn't going to help Jason much here.

1D: What would you even give Jason here?

2A: Jason can take the mooks easily enough but the General is going to give him serious trouble.

2B: Jason kills the mooks and the General kills Jason.

2C: See above.

2D: I have no idea.

3A: Master Hung likely wrecks Jason anyway but I can see Jason at least getting some hits in.

3B: Jason dies.

3C: Jason dies.

3D: No idea but the glasses will be overpriced.

4A: A straight up fist fight actually benefits Twister more than it does Jason. He's dead.

4B: Jason does slightly better but I don't see him getting through Twister's durability.

4C: Okay, if Jason fights smart here, he miiiiight win this. He does not want to take a hit from Twister, but being able to run around freely with a knife and cut him up is the best scenario he could ask for against a straight bruiser like Twister.

4D: Don't know.

5: Don't remember the Thai boxer that well.

6: For Frank, see Twister, except smarter and more skilled. Jason is dead.

7: I'm gonna have to refresh myself on this guy.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

BANNED

Oh calm down. It was a joke. I make a few teases about the lousy effects of the Ip Man movies and you guys are all bent outta shape. You guys need to lighten up some.
    Last edited by seaturkey; 12-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Oh calm down. It was a joke. I make a few teases about the lousy effects of the Ip Man movies and you guys are all bent outta shape. You guys need to lighten up some.
    Light up you say? : Cue destructive light emitting from body.: Oh, just kidding. But yeah it is just a thing you know? And yeah the name worthy characters of IP man wreck Bourne.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Light up you say? : Cue destructive light emitting from body.: Oh, just kidding. But yeah it is just a thing you know? And yeah the name worthy characters of IP man wreck Bourne.
    Even the boxer guy, who, in his wisdom, decided to fight a guy wearing boxing gloves, while Ip Man didn't? I've only seen parts of that fight, but I mean, really? Bourne can't even beat him? Now, I think you're joking ;P

PS: You Sir, get bonus points for rockin' the Guyver avatar.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Even the boxer guy, who, in his wisdom, decided to fight a guy wearing boxing gloves, while Ip Man didn't? I've only seen parts of that fight, but I mean, really? Bourne can't even beat him? Now, I think you're joking ;P

PS: You Sir, get bonus points for rockin' the Guyver avatar.
    twister was a beast. nuff said.