• Solid C - 2018 was a typical year for Supes

9 20.93%
  • Solid D - 2018 was a bad year for Supes

6 13.95%
  • Solid F - 2018 was one of Supes' worst years ever

1 2.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superverse 2018 - Year In Review

The calendar year 2018 is almost up. 11 months and change down, a couple weeks to go. So, before 2019 gets here, let's all review:

A. How was 2018 overall for Superman the character?

B. How was 2018 overall for Superman the franchise (aka the Superverse)?

How would you grade this calendar year for the Big Guy?

Poll forthcoming.

Me personally: can't rank it any higher or lower than a B grade.

The good outweighs the bad, but the bad was enough to knock it down a whole grade.

Off the top of my head,

The good:

- Action Comics #1000
    - 80 years of Superman hardcover
    - Bendis finding Superman's voice, from MAN OF STEEL to present
    - KRYPTON tv show (esp the 2nd half of the season)
    - JUSTICE LEAGUE blu-ray
    - Tyler Hoechlin's Superman & Elizabeth Tulloch's Lois Lane in CW Elseworlds (wait, we'll come back to this shortly)

The bad:
    - Bendis separating Clark from both Lois and Jon
    - Bendis ageing up Jon (this is more a 2019 complaint)
    - SUPERGIRL continues to suck in general
    - SUPERGIRL especially continues to suck regarding pooping on Superman to make the undeserving Kara look better, who shall henceforth be known as PooperGirl, because that's what she does: poops over everyone else to cover for how much she is, and always will be, a directly derivative character.

I know, given my specific complaints, it looks like a B is generous for 2018, but man, Supes reaching 80 frickin' consecutive years of being in print just outweighs everything else for me.

BANNED

I'd say the pros outweigh the cons

Pros

-AC#1000 was a fine celebratory title
    -Tomasi/Gleason and Jurgens ended their runs on an optimistic high
    -Lex front and centre on Scott Snyder's Justice League
    -Bendis' Man of Steel mini-series
    -The world building in Action Comics
    -Bendis' assurances Lois and Clark will not be broken despite the new approach
    -The various fan edit remixes of Justice League entertained me immensely.
    -Lois and Clark being featured in Supergirl, and the indication that Jon will be introduced.
    -The Death of Superman animated movie
    -The announcement that Conner was coming back to comics

Cons

-The uncertainty of Henry Cavill and the radio silence on the DCEU Superman franchise in general
    -AC#1004. Best of intentions, but Bendis' take on Lois in that issue proved controversial and some are not taking well to this "modern marriage" technique.
    -Doomsday Clock's delays and lack of focus on Superman until the most recent issue
    -Superwoman being cancelled and Lana benched for the rest of the year
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-14-2018 at 05:44 AM.

I think a "B" is a good grade for the year as a whole.

The Good

-Action Comics #1000 - It was a good jam issue, put Superman prominently into the public spotlight at an import moment and was a good comic on its own.

-DC's renewed focus on Superman - Carries over from the past two years, but it seems like they are actively trying to promote and keep the character growing in a way that is focused and direct. Building overall instead of tearing down. With the creative focus being the creative teams visions instead of editorial whims.

-Bendis' Run - Overall the run has done a good job of refocusing the line as a whole. The second year of Rebirth leading into Action Comics 1000 had lost steam and narrative stakes. Particularly all the fill ins on Superman. Action was more focused, but still seemed to lose steam. Now, under Bendis the Superman, Action, and Supergirl books all have a distinct voice/role in the line and the quality has overall been solid. The art on all of these books continues to be A List talent and complimentary to the stories being told.

-Refocusing on Metropolis, The Daily Planet, and the Daily Planet staff - Action Comics in particular.

-The Rebirth Teams were allowed to close out their runs in a good fashion.

-Adventures of the Supersons - Fun title continuing a focus on younger readers that hopefully signals that DC understands what they have in a young Jon and continue to support it even if they move his main continuity adventures in other directions

-Elseworlds/Death of Superman Movies - Coming in at the close of the year to just drop a fantastic Superman/Lois Lane combo on us in both cases. Death was a lot better than it had any right to be. And Elseworlds dropped not only an engagement, but a Super-Baby thrown into the CW mix.

-Building towards a big 2019 - The groundwork laid and promises made by Bendis have me optimistic for 2019. Connor, Lois's return to the narrative, a big Superman Event, Reign of the Supermen, and the Wonder lines apparent focus on Metropolis/Superman, Doomsday Clock concluding all bode well for 2019.

The Bad

-Decompression - After two years of twice a month shipping and shorter storylines, the books feel like they are crawling now. So while the storylines and coherence is great, its been an adjustment that still isn't 100%. We're 18 issues into Bendis' storylines and there has been little progression that couldn't have been achieved in half the issues. Still has a solid "Act One" feel to it. But admittedly, I anticipate each issue a lot more.

-Action 1004 - A major misfire for Bendis that landed far afield of where he appears to have intended it to. While I think the direction overall will be great for stories and for getting Lois Lane back into the mix narratively, standing alone it read more like step one towards a separation than Bendis's purported focus reigniting their romance. (On the plus side, Bendis seems to get that it landed wrong and hopefully going forward the missteps are corrected).

-Only getting one writers version - While I am generally happy with Bendis so far, I think a monochromatic representation of Superman limits fan options. If you weren't crazy about Tomasi, you had Jurgens and vice versa. Throughout the New 52 there were other options presented for Superman fans that captured a different take on the character, whether it was Adventures of Superman, American Alien, or the Lois & Clark series, there was at least something for fans who weren't into New 52 Superman. That's lacking now and if you don't care for Bendis at all your only option is to drop the books.

The Meh

-Rogol Zaar - I still see potential here, but not living up to Bendis's promise or the focus he's had in Man of Steel and Superman.

-Jon Kent & Lois Lane - Sat out most of the year in the main titles. And the status of each is completely up in the air. Bendis has made a great deal of promises for both characters that eventually he's going to have to start paying up on.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-14-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

The Good
    - Action Comics #1000 and the 80 Years of Superman book
    - Bendis' overall run (I still think Superman is stronger than Action Comics)
    - Lex's central role in Scott Snyder's Justice League
    - The Death of Superman animated movie
    - Clark and Lois' appearance in Elseworlds (I don't watch The CW, but I do show interest in anything that features Superman)
    - Superman's appearance in Doomsday Clock
    - The Rebirth era ended on a good note

The Bad
    - The uncertainty of Henry Cavill's future in the DCEU
    - Supergirl still holds precedence over Superman in the Arrowverse
    - Rogol Zaar is a disappointing character

Overall, 2018 was a good year for Superman. Hopefully, 2019 will be even better.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I would say like 2016 and 2017, things are a solid " B".

The Good:

Action #1000.

Jurgens and Tomasi getting the chance to wrap up their runs strongly.

Bendis' MAN OF STEEL mini series, and his runs on Superman and Action thus far. Everything isn't perfect but I'm glad there seems to be an honest to God effort to give Superman and his franchise a push.

The Elseworlds crossover on TV. Superman saving the Earth 1 Final Crisis style, a clever take on the evil Superman trope that actually worked ,and a fantastic New Lois Lane actress.

Ivan Reis on Superman. Nuff said.

Bad:

Action 1004. The only misstep in Bendis' run.

The marginalized Super family. Yes it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to feature Superman solo for a bit, but the absence of Jon and Lois and the controversy surrounding it all has kept fans nervous.

Warner Bros film's division basically telling Superman fans they don't want their money by all but cancelling any chance at a Henry Cavill staring Superman solo film.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I voted B - A good year, not great.

I haven't read recent comics, so won't include that.

The Good:

The Death of Superman. It was awesome! Everything I want to see in a Superman story. Might be my fave Superman movie of them all, live or animated. Heart, emotion and amazing action.

Krypton show: Loved it. Wasn't expecting it to be this good. It puts the DC CW shows to shame. This show actually loves Superman. Very cinematic and mature. Rich characters and character development.

Justice League bluray. I liked this movie quite a bit. Superman was great. Loved his scenes with Flash. Whole team had strong chemistry. Fun movie.

Action #1000. I liked it quite a bit. That story with Mr Mxy was a lot of fun. It showed what an epic, grand and versatile is the Superman mythos. No doubt it has made WB lots of $$ over the years and decades, even when they don't use him to his full potential in films.

The Bad:

Supergirl season 3. Just awful for the most part.

CW Superman in Elseworlds. I despise this Superman portrayal. It's an embarrassment to the legacy of the character. Lois wasn't that good either, IMO. I haven't seen enough of her to really know how to feel. She and Clark, just smile and say witty things most of the time. They seem like echos of the Donnerverse. Lack an identity. They are just props.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 12-15-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I'd go with B-. Half the year the main books were still unappealing to me with the original Rebirth teams. But the second half of the year things got fun for me again when Bendis came aboard. So a split there I would consider averaging out to a C, but it also had the fun of being Superman's 80th year and having a nice new collectible in Action #1000. And then I got the good news that Kon-El was returning. So despite that technically not happening till 2019 I count just the announcement as being a positive. So I give it a bit of a boost up for that. Then, the thing that gave me the most excitement even if it is still an unquantifiable element at this moment was the "resurrection" of the New 52 Superman, or at least one a lot like him depending where that goes, if it goes anywhere. But hopefully it does. All of that boosts it up a letter grade.

By 2018 I stopped caring about the movies and other media because I'm used to things being underwhelming there. So I'm not even taking that into consideration. Though DOS was okay.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-14-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If I was voting solely on Bendis' Superman run, I would give it a D without hesitation but because of the Rebirth stories at the start of the year, that bumps my grade up to a C on balance.

The Good

The Rebirth Superman Runs ending - After a lackluster period of stories following Black Dawn, I thought Tomasi and Gleason ended their Superman run on a very high note. Superman #40, #42-45 and the Superman Special were a return to the quality of storytelling at the start of their Rebirth run which made their departure all the more bittersweet for me. I for one wanted to see the 100 issue run of Superman promised by Tomasi on Twitter over a year ago. Jurgens did a solid job ending his run too, Action Comics #999 is my favourite issue of his run.

Action Comics #1000 - This was a solid dedication to Action's 1000th issue. I enjoyed most of the stories though I wish writers like Elliott Maggins and Grant Morrison to name a few could have contributed to Action's 100th issue as well. It could have been better but it could have been a lot worse as well.

Super Sons/Adventures of the Super Sons - These series have been my saving grace after Bendis took over the main Superman titles. Jon and Damian getting into crazy hijinks, their amazing dynamic together and pure light hearted fun storytelling from Tomasi has been a silver lining.

Death of Superman movie - Didn't expect to enjoy a Death of Superman movie or a New 52 style animated one either but it was a well written, engaging and emotional epic.

Artists on Bendis' Superman - The one good thing about Bendis' Superman run is that he attracted a lot of talented artists. Ivan Reis, Doc Shaner, Ryan Sook, even Jose Garcia-Lopez came back too. One of Bendis' few strengths is that he gets a lot of talented artists who want to work with him.

The Bad

Decompression - Bendis' pacing continues to be absolutely atrocious. Stories that could have been told in fewer issues get plot points dragged out for the entire arc. Man of Steel and The Unity Saga are the worst offenders of Bendis' tendency to draw out his stories for the trade.

Bendis Speak - There have already been a ton of moments that have me grinding my teeth at how nauseating Bendis' dialogue can be. Flash's Caca Poo Poo, Batman's wild bowel discomfort, Guardian's Red Tornado/Red Cloud and the trunks meaning hope are some examples of how Bendis' dialogue feels unnatural and forced.

Out of Character Depictions - Although I'm not impressed with the way Bendis writes Superman, his depiction of Clark is the least of my problems. Martian Manhunter telling Clark to take over the world is an unforgivably bad portrayal of J'onn but stuff like Jor-El suddenly acting like his Pre Oz Effect self infuriated me too.

One Dimensional Villains - Given that Bendis said he found Superman's rogues gallery was lacking in depth, his own contributions have been huge disappointments. Rogol Zaar is a one dimensional brute with a generic genocide backstory that tramples over the tragic nature of Krypton being destroyed by natural causes. Red Cloud is equally generic with a reveal fans could have seen coming a mile away.

Action Comics #1004 - If it weren't for Bendis retconning Krypton's destruction and what he's done to Jon, this would be the worst thing about his run. Bendis fundamentally misrepresented Lois Lane and her relationship with Clark and marginalised the family aspect of the Rebirth run. It was an utter failure for Bendis' statement on the Super Marriage.

Aging up Jon - Jon jumping from a child to a teenager puts his long term future in jeopardy. Characters usually get aged up when the writers want to shock readers or can't think of what to do with them and there was plenty that could be done with a 10-11 year old Jon. It's too soon to age him up given that Damian has only aged from 10-13 in his 10+ years in the comics. Also Jon is basically getting both aged up like Chris Kent and travelling through time like Cir-El/Ariella (The daughter of Linda Danvers & Pre Crisis Superman)

BANNED

I think if we were to hold a poll for the worst Superman story of 2018, AC#1004 would win hands down. It's almost OMD level without doing any damage to the marriage because it still damaged the characters.

Overall I’d say A.

Pros:
    1. Great animated movie with Death of Superman and it looks like the sequel will be just as kickass. I hope this means we’ll get more Superman animated movies in the future, at a more regular rate.
    2. Tomasi and Gleason has a really great finale arc after a terrible summer of boring filler last year. Bizarroverse is one of my favorite Bizarro stories, and the Superman 45 issue is one of my favorite ending issues for a Superman run ever
    3. I really enjoyed Action 1000
    4. I’m enjoying what Bendis is doing on Superman after initially be very worried. I love how he’s building up Metropolis, something I’ve felt has been needed for a very long time
    5. Krypton is a kickass show and I can’t wait for more episodes. It’s unapologetically a celebration of how awesome Superman is.

Cons:
    1. No Superman game is coming, the only appearnece he gets is in the godawful Injustice games
    2. No Superman movie is in development and it will be a long time before we get another one thanks to how badly Snyder mishandled the property.

Incredible Member

Solid A: I don't know if I'd say one of his best years EVER, but certainly one of his best for the last several, maybe even ten years.

I dropped out of comics, aside from collected editions of previous stories, around New Krypton and the New 52 (kept up with the broad strokes of what was happening via forums/wikis etc). Started paying much closer attention (and feeling a bit hopeful again) when DC Rebirth happened, feeling they were bringing everything-- and the Superman line specifically-- back to something that would work for me.

It was Doomsday Clock, Action Comics #1000 and the huge, ballsy announcement of the Bendis run -- I'd only read maybe five issues of Bendis's work previously, way back in the early Spidey/X-Men/New Avengers days, but remembered enjoying it (his announcement interview immediately said to me he had a genuine love, understanding and vision for the character and his world)-- and the return of the mostly classic suit that brought me back completely, to the point where I make sure to get my comics within 24 hours of release.

And aside from some decompression and questionable choices with Lois (we'll see about Jon), I'm so SO happy with what we've gotten. I'm completely love with his voice for the character, the artwork is always gorgeous from everyone, the world of Metropolis (and then some) is filling out nicely.

So far, I'm a happy camper and so SO hope it keeps up.

As for other media: Hoechlin's good, but missing a slight otherworldly quality that I think is important. Plus, he's often written as being so secondary, and little TOO humble (constant "You're so much stronger than me, Kara", leaving it to others ot come up with the plans etc... I mean, I get it, it's not his show, but it stings).

Cavill... So much potential, for him/Superman/the entire DCEU... All wasted. But we've known that since 2013 or '16, I guess. Still disappointing.

Haven't watched the animated movie.

Disappointed but not surprised that there's still no video game for him.

Overall, thanks to the comics, I'm personally the happiest I'm been with Superman's content in many years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think if we were to hold a poll for the worst Superman story of 2018, AC#1004 would win hands down. It's almost OMD level without doing any damage to the marriage because it still damaged the characters.
    I think that's an overreaction-- We didn't necessarily get what we wanted from #1004 (Lois makes a big unilateral decision that affects her whole family, plays it off way too breezily, doesn't explain reasons well at all, Clark just takes it all on the chin) but it in no way is the huge, reality altering mess that OMD was.

For me personally, I think Superman #2 was the worst issue of the year, Superman-line wise. NOTHING happened. It felt like a waste of time, money and paper. Best issue? I don't know, but I've happily got plenty to choose from this year.

The Good-
    Tomasi and Jurgens had great wrap-ups to their Rebirth arcs.
    Super Sons/Adventures of Super Sons are so fun to read, and one of the few, truly, bright spots in DC comics right now.
    Death of Superman animated film was quite good. And this coming from someone that has avoided New52 Superman stuff.
    DCEU finally got Superman right in Justice League.
    Arrowverse Supers are fun in their own way (though constantly saying Kara is better than Clark does get a little grating at times), and looks like Jon will be joining the Arrowverse soon!
    Krypton is interesting. Not sure how I stand on Zod and Clark actually being related in it, but otherwise, pretty good.
    Artists that Bendis somehow gets. Honestly, if this were a 3 parter thing from me, I'd but this in a middling option.

The Bad-
    The end of Tomasi and Jurgens' runs on the Super family.
    Jon getting aged up solely for shock value.
    No more canonical Super Sons.
    Bendis on the Super titles.
    Bendis tossing Jon and Lois into space, and proceeding to change their characters rapidly to suit his own narrative.
    Rogol Zarr is a flat character in the dozenth or so "secret history of Krypton's destruction".

You get the idea.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I think that's an overreaction-- We didn't necessarily get what we wanted from #1004 (Lois makes a big unilateral decision that affects her whole family, plays it off way too breezily, doesn't explain reasons well at all, Clark just takes it all on the chin) but it in no way is the huge, reality altering mess that OMD was.
    Dude, the book made Clark and Lois into bad parents and couple at the same time. Lois just left his son with a complete stranger without a any means of tracking him and did not inform Clark, when she returned. And the reason is what? She has to write!! Seriously.
    And Clark was like "huh! I guess that is okay. Atleast we are together, right. Right?".
    And Lois was like"ofcourse baby!we will still be together. Just not living together or being a family. I need space. And Jon is okay in space with dubious grandfather alone"
    Clark was like "that is ok. Let's just f**k like teens some more and not talk about our actions and responsibilities as parents, husband and wife like adults who have been married for years and have lost their child, recently "
    I know, I am being completely over the top and hyperbolic here. But this is what the issue read like to me. I was like wait, what?what heck did I just read? . It was worst issue of superman for me since rebirth started, maybe worse than truth new52. It was anticlimactic and answered nothing. And made Clark look like pushover and Lois irresponsible.
    I know bendis means well but so far he has not executed what he has Set out to do.
    So yes it is every bit as bad as OMD may be more so.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.