Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thought-Provoking Activity - A Session with Doc Samson

After reading some old runs of Peter David's modern-day X-Factor (Investigations), I came across the issues in which the many dysfunctional members of Multiple Man's team had therapy sessions with Marvel's token psychiatrist, Doc Samson. A lightbulb turned on and I thought: how interesting would a limited series be of each issue focusing on one X-Man discussing their problems with Doc Samson?

It would go into flashbacks of the character's history, their opinions on major events/crossovers where they didn't have much panel time, and their deepest and darkest secrets. What also factored into this idea was that the X-Men have gone through a lot and most of them should probably have some sort of issues, and stories discussing these issues would possibly make them more relatable to its readers.

So, I ask you guys: For your favorite characters, or any characters, what do you think they would talk about and reveal about themselves in a therapy session with Doc Samson?

Last edited by gifted; 12-14-2018 at 06:22 PM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I feel like Doc Samson and Dazzler would just end up fucking tbh.

Like, him telling her that she's a compulsive validation junkie and a total masochist would turn her on.

Recently, I tried and failed to read a Doc Samson mini from the 2000's edited by the same editor who's mucked up the X-Line where everyone seems to ignore the rich premise of Leonard being a superhero psychologist in order to tell a story about tiki torches and ghosts or something. While I could not finish a single real issue of the mini, I could read the third issue which was for some reason handled by an entirely different creative team and was an actually satisfying one-and-done where he uses his skills on a MU character as part of a greater story. For any and all future Doc Samson focused projects, that single issue should be viewed as the blueprint for how to do it.

Anyway, I think a Havok therapy session would be good to dive more into the meat of his inversion. Warren, obviously. Although I can't see him being written with much honesty about his history. Probably Colussus, too. I don't see him as a character who's very confident about his place in life. There are a lot of characters who probably need therapy but don't get any because they're more interesting messed up or their obvious issues are ignored.

BANNED

I've wanted to see a Doc Samson series done in the style of the old Dr. Katz for a while now. Bonus points if they mimic the art style.

Anyway, X-23 could REALLY use some time on the couch given on all her issues (Daddy issues with Logan, guilt over her mother's death to say nothing of all her OTHER killings, her difficulties connecting with others, her bouts of depression and struggles over her self worth).

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    After reading some old runs of Peter David's modern-day X-Factor (Investigations), I came across the issues in which the many dysfunctional members of Multiple Man's team had therapy sessions with Marvel's token psychiatrist, Doc Samson. A lightbulb turned on and I thought: how interesting would a limited series be of each issue focusing on one X-Man discussing their problems with Doc Samson?

It would go into flashbacks of the character's history, their opinions on major events/crossovers where they didn't have much panel time, and their deepest and darkest secrets. What also factored into this idea was that the X-Men have gone through a lot and most of them should probably have some sort of issues, and stories discussing these issues would possibly make them more relatable to its readers.

So, I ask you guys: For your favorite characters, or any characters, what do you think they would talk about and reveal about themselves in a therapy session with Doc Samson?

I would totally love this! Superhero psychology.

Actually we also saw a taste of this in the Rogue and Gambit miniseries, as they were undercover at a couples therapy retreat.

I agree, these characters have had so many terrible things happen to them and so much combat, they probably all suffer from at least some degree of PTSD.

For Gambit and Rogue I'd like to hear more about their childhoods being raised by criminals who basically used them. That has to mess a person up. Gambit as an orphan ought to have some abandonment issues and God knows what else happened to him as a kid growing up on the street. Rogue would be a field day! Alienated by her biological family. Guilt over Cody and Carol Danvers. All the weird stuff she has absorbed from different people's memories including some of their personal traumas. Yikes.

Then there are all the times they have nearly died. All the times they have nearly killed someone they care for.

Astonishing Member

There are a lot of xmen that could use therapy. And a comics showing how they handle emotional issues is somting that I'd love to see. However giving how a plot line of heros dealing with mental issues were turned in to identy crises 2 screw teen titans fans, I see it marvel making it rip off identy crisis screw new xmen fans

Mighty Member

I think Marvel.com ran a story where a practicing psychologist diagnosed Laura with several disorders.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I think Marvel.com ran a story where a practicing psychologist diagnosed Laura with several disorders.
    I remember that one. IIRC she was diagnosed with BPD. Can’t find the link, tho.

The Summer's Family THerapy session would be a MAxi-series in itself.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

The X-men already have a therapist Gus Grim.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Marvel did a lot of online articles written by anonymous practicing psychologists analyzing and diagnosing various characters within the MU. A lot of them were pretty good reads.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Marvel did a lot of online articles written by anonymous practicing psychologists analyzing and diagnosing various characters within the MU. A lot of them were pretty good reads.
    Wonder why they stopped?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Wonder why they stopped?
    That's a good question, though count me in as someone else who'd love to see "Doc Samson Psychoanalyzes the Marvel Universe" as an actual comic.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They were the best articles on the website, and a lot of them from the past couple years are still up there, but a lot of the older ones seem to be gone. The Baron Zemo one where he's described as being unwilling to talk and gets diagnosed with BPD symptoms was my favorite. RIP.

My still living favorite is Quicksilver.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...rd-quicksilver

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    They were the best articles on the website, and a lot of them from the past couple years are still up there, but a lot of the older ones seem to be gone. The Baron Zemo one where he's described as being unwilling to talk and gets diagnosed with BPD symptoms was my favorite. RIP.

My still living favorite is Quicksilver.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...rd-quicksilver
    Yeah, I think the article for X-23 was taken down, as well. However it was reproduced on a blog I found after some quick Googling. As I thought, Laura was diagnosed with Axis II BPD (which was current under DSM-IV at the time the article was written, but now it seems is obsolete).