BANNED

Default World Domination

I have a question. I'm posting it in the Community forum section because it has a cross over appeal of all the publishers.

Why is it that a superhero group (ie. Inhumans,Kryptonians) especially those with godlike powers --whether that be in terms of brute strength, mind control--wouldn't want to use their powers to take over the world?

I need a reason that has to do with more than character or up bringing. For example most would probably agree that Superman would never deliberately hurt or use his powers for evil. Because that's not way he was raised brought or brought up. And I am sure that in his heart he knows that if he were to turn into that kind of person it would lessen him as a human being.

The only other reason I can think of is the difficulty of holding such a large swath of territory. But I'm having difficulties coming up with other reasons.

Thanks in advance.

There are usually two different reasons for taking over the world. Either you're making things better for you, or for everybody else. Now if you're looking at it as helping yourself out by taking over the woirld, you probably want to make sure you're all set and will live life comfortable with no one to make your life difficult. If I was Superman, I'm already sitting pretty. I can go anywhere, do anything, acquire whatever item or food I want, certainly the appeal of being super-human would allow me my choice of sex partners. Going to the trouble of conquering Earth seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Reason two is making it better for everybody else. In doing this, one needs to decide what is best for everybody. Or as regards world domination, how to stop those from disagreeing with you and keep them from actions going against your wishes. Now there's no shortage of people and groups who think they have the answer and if everyone would just think the same way they do, life would be sweet. And in truth, if we all had the same gpoals and intentions, life would be sweet. But it would go nowhere. It would find a point and stagnate. Objects at rest remaining at rest.

Miracleman and Squadron Supreme are good examples of this world domination coming to fruition.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Never try to take over the world. It just gives everyone a unified target to take their crap out on. Better by far to just take whatever you want from the world without consequence. People become supervillains to cut loose and have fun, not work a 24/7 job.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There are usually two different reasons for taking over the world. Either you're making things better for you, or for everybody else. Now if you're looking at it as helping yourself out by taking over the woirld, you probably want to make sure you're all set and will live life comfortable with no one to make your life difficult. If I was Superman, I'm already sitting pretty. I can go anywhere, do anything, acquire whatever item or food I want, certainly the appeal of being super-human would allow me my choice of sex partners. Going to the trouble of conquering Earth seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Reason two is making it better for everybody else. In doing this, one needs to decide what is best for everybody. Or as regards world domination, how to stop those from disagreeing with you and keep them from actions going against your wishes. Now there's no shortage of people and groups who think they have the answer and if everyone would just think the same way they do, life would be sweet. And in truth, if we all had the same gpoals and intentions, life would be sweet. But it would go nowhere. It would find a point and stagnate. Objects at rest remaining at rest.

Miracleman and Squadron Supreme are good examples of this world domination coming to fruition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Never try to take over the world. It just gives everyone a unified target to take their crap out on. Better by far to just take whatever you want from the world without consequence. People become supervillains to cut loose and have fun, not work a 24/7 job.
    True. But I wasn't thinking about group X taking over to turn the planet into a totalitarian regime. I was thinking more along the lines of.....either control in terms of plundering resources for their own use. Or in direct rule through control of various world governments. Part of what brought this to mind, especially in the case of the Inhumans and Kryptonians is if they were to have lost their home, looked at earth and thought to themselves. Humans are uncontrolled children, the world would run much better if we were in charge.

Wasn't there a story a few years ago where the Kandorians became embiggened and did indeed try to take over the world?

Miracleman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    True. But I wasn't thinking about group X taking over to turn the planet into a totalitarian regime. I was thinking more along the lines of.....either control in terms of plundering resources for their own use. Or in direct rule through control of various world governments. Part of what brought this to mind, especially in the case of the Inhumans and Kryptonians is if they were to have lost their home, looked at earth and thought to themselves. Humans are uncontrolled children, the world would run much better if we were in charge.
    Honestly, it seems like the whole thing boils down to only two options: Authoritarianism or Partial-Autonomy.
    From a cost/benefit standpoint, Partial Autonomy would be the way to go. Ruling in secret, directing world affairs remotely through representatives placed in seats of power in government and industry. Keeping the majority happy enough so nobody gets any big ideas about revolution. The Path of least resistance with the greatest reward.
    Authoritarianism is just too much work. It takes effort to crush a populace under your boot. Human beings are hard-wired with an instinctive negative reaction to right/wrong and fair/unfair treatment ensuring the threat of revolution will always be imminent. You'll spend most of your time putting out fires.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Invincible Member

Well Squadron Supreme and a late 90's arc in The Authority where they briefly take over America immediately come to mind. In Wanted the villains succeed in taking over. And I haven't read it but some years ago Mark Waid wrote a comic called Empire where a villain takes conquers the world and decides it might be more trouble than it's worth.

But I think the real reason you don't see it more in ongoing comics though is that would change the nature of the stories for many characters. The point would no longer be about going on adventures or fighting crime, but running the nation, city, or whatever. Ex Machina is about a former superhero who becomes mayor of New York. While there's still sci-fi elements in it, much of the conflict comes the difficulty in holding the city together.

Just because you can crush all worldly nations under your heel doesn't mean you have the managerial skills to rule the world.
    Ruling the world is mostly paperwork, bench-pressing tanks can't help you with that.
    Imagine doing the accounting for the whole world, you'd go mad trying to balance those books.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Just because you can crush all worldly nations under your heel doesn't mean you have the managerial skills to rule the world.
    Ruling the world is mostly paperwork, bench-pressing tanks can't help you with that.
    Imagine doing the accounting for the whole world, you'd go mad trying to balance those books.
    I'm reminded of that episode of the 80s Ninja Turtles cartoon where the Turtles go to a dimension where Shredder did take over the world. And he's absolutely miserable because of all the hard work ruling the world entails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have a question. I'm posting it in the Community forum section because it has a cross over appeal of all the publishers.

Why is it that a superhero group (ie. Inhumans,Kryptonians) especially those with godlike powers --whether that be in terms of brute strength, mind control--wouldn't want to use their powers to take over the world?

I need a reason that has to do with more than character or up bringing. For example most would probably agree that Superman would never deliberately hurt or use his powers for evil. Because that's not way he was raised brought or brought up. And I am sure that in his heart he knows that if he were to turn into that kind of person it would lessen him as a human being.

The only other reason I can think of is the difficulty of holding such a large swath of territory. But I'm having difficulties coming up with other reasons.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, if you're talking hero groups, they don't take over the world because the world would not willingly be taken over. I see what you mean about humans being "uncontrolled children", the only thing is ... super-powered folks generally aren't inherently like intellectually or morally superior to adult human beings, as a whole. Individuals, sure.

I mean, adult humans are not children -- there's reasons, beyond just physical age or size, that we have these distinctions, after all. And just because people can (and will) be wrong, doesn't mean you don't allow them the right to be wrong. Or rather, you can -- but, kind of paradoxically, it is ethically wrong, to not allow them to be wrong.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine