Spectacular Member Dominick1216's Avatar

Default Question Regarding Superman's Legacy Numbering

Last year, Superman celebrated its 800th issue. As far as legacy numbering goes, it's:

Superman Vol. 1 (#1-#423)
    ?????? (#424-#649)
    Superman Vol. 1 (#650-#714)
    Superman Vol. 3 (#715-#766)
    Superman Vol. 4 (#766-#800)

Now, my question is which series is counted as part of the legacy numbering, Adventures of Superman Vol. 1 or Superman Vol. 2? Both have the same amount issues that lead to it being issues #424-#649 in the legacy numbering, but which series is the one that is counted in the numbering?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick1216 View Post
    Last year, Superman celebrated its 800th issue. As far as legacy numbering goes, it's:

Superman Vol. 1 (#1-#423)
    ?????? (#424-#649)
    Superman Vol. 1 (#650-#714)
    Superman Vol. 3 (#715-#766)
    Superman Vol. 4 (#766-#800)

Now, my question is which series is counted as part of the legacy numbering, Adventures of Superman Vol. 1 or Superman Vol. 2? Both have the same amount issues that lead to it being issues #424-#649 in the legacy numbering, but which series is the one that is counted in the numbering?
    It seems they've ommitted Superman Vol 2. Adventures is technically part of the legacy numbering.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Yeah, I think at the time DC explained it as they canceled Superman Vol. 2 and renamed (or reverted) Adventures of Superman to Superman again. The reverse happened after COIE with Superman Vol. 1 continuing into Adventures of Superman and Bryne getting Superman Vol. 2
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-15-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick1216 View Post

I always thought it was ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, but if both titles had the same amount of issues then you could just consider that SUPERMAN (a la Superman Red and Superman Blue) split off into two entities that co-existed and then came back together again to form one SUPERMAN title.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, I think at the time DC explained it as they canceled Superman Vol. 2 and renamed (or reverted) Adventures of Superman to Superman again. The reverse happened after COIE with Superman Vol. 1 continuing into Adventures of Superman and Bryne getting Superman Vol. 2
    This is my understanding as well. Superman Vol. 2 taking the name was, if I remember correctly, one of the demands on Byrne's list. But Adventures was the continuation of the original book, which is why it kept the original numbering.