Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Just saw Into the Spider-Verse... shockingly good

And criminal this does not already have a thread. Every single human being that has not had their soul sucked out by carrion larva needs to see this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    And criminal this does not already have a thread.
    There is one though in the spidey sub-forum. But anyway, yeah, great stuff.

I agree I was surprised at how good this film was. I was not expecting it to blow me away as much as it did. As just a pure film might be the best of 2018. Loved all the characters. Felt like they managed to give everyone just the right amount for such a short film.

Even gave me one or two semi emotional moments.
    The J-man

Retired

Not interested in knowing the story, but all the reactions I see seem to suggest this is a superior accomplishment in animation. So what is it about the animation that puts it on another level? Are there any new achievements in the craft?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not interested in knowing the story, but all the reactions I see seem to suggest this is a superior accomplishment in animation. So what is it about the animation that puts it on another level? Are there any new achievements in the craft?
    I don't think any words will do it justice, but its it feels like nothing I've ever seen before. A 2D/3D hybrid with some of the most vibrant color schemes and inventive camera angles I've seen. The action is draw dropping. It actually feels like your'e literally inside a comic book.

Just got back from seeing it and my thoughts echo the others, great movie, animation and action. Easter eggs galore as well. Can't wait for the sequel.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Shockingly good is a good way to put it, I hadn't intended to see it until I saw the reviews and I think this is my favorite Spidey film ever.

Humor was on point, drama was on point, animation was at times absolutely stunning, action was dizzying, music was great. Miles is sympathetic and lovable, Peter (well the Peter that gets the most lines) has a great arc.

Five stars and very glad a sequel's been announced.

Great post credit scene too

spoilers:
    Spider-Man 2099 vs. Spider-Man 67 in a pojnt off! Funny as hell
    end of spoilers
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Only saw it because of the amazing reviews. Glad I did, I loved Aquaman but this much better honestly. I've seen people call it one the top 10 animated films of the last decade. I dont disagree

It's not just the animation its the story the voice acting and the easter eggs. Animation wise they blend a few different styles, I enjoyed it but I recommend seeing it yourself and making your own determination. This movie doesn't have a new style per se but the direction does a lot of clever things similar to the Lego movies. Simply showing Spider-Man and all he can do in high-quality animation is very satisfying to watch. I think its best to just see it for yourself I don't want to overhype it for you. Nothing worse is going into an overhyped movie.

I went in with low expectations and the film greatly exceeded them. Its just a nice fun family movie that will have a little something for everyone, especially Spider-Man fans.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Shockingly good... ...I think this is my favorite Spidey film ever.
    This is exactly how I felt about it, too. Saw it on opening night (12th) as my birthday treat and the whole family loved it. Had a Killer soundtrack as well.
    Last edited by Foggy; 12-16-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: repitition of "too"

Astonishing Member

Definitely the best Spider-Man movie EVER! A true love-letter to the character and his mythos.

Spider-Man often gets pigeonholed into certain brackets, especially when it comes to adaptations. He's a 'street-level character'. He's supposed to be 'young'. He's supposed to be constantly bummed out and burdened by responsibility. Well, here we get a movie where Spider-Man deals with the potential collapse of the Multiverse, features multiple iterations of the character - one of whom is an older and world-weary Peter Parker - and above all, shows Spider-Man, no matter what version, having fun!

Its the kind of 'comic-book film' that you really can't see happening in live-action but with a scale and ambition you wouldn't imagine from a 'normal' animated project.

REALLY looking forward to seeing more from this new franchise!

My overriding impression of the narrative style and the action choices was that this is potentially the beginning of a new superhero movie style. I have since read Jason Latour’s thoughts on this, where he believes this will inform a new strand of animated movies, but I cant help thinking this will influence live action movies too.

While it is a part of a developing movie tradition it feels like the culmination of a cinema movement begun in the nintees. It takes the sharpness and style of Tarantino and perhaps Guy Richie (not a fan personally) and perhaps obviously combines the wit and pacing of The Lego Movie and Lego Batman while adding in the multiple hero elements of Avengers/MCU and a dash of Edgar Wright and boils everything down to into a cinema experience that provides everything the audience needs. A perfect Action + wit + pathos mixture that feels fresh and new primarily because we haven’t quite seen it all put together this well before. It doesn’t just celebrate comic books and animation it celebrates popcorn movies in general.

That being said I am sure some will hate it. It is an uncompromising movie. It forces the viewer to keep up with its many threads and characters and it’s visual style is equally fast and stylised. You don’t need to take everything in, and it is clearly aimed at multiple viewings, but the overall effect is quite overwhelming. Not everyone wants to be overwhelmed at the cinema.

Since the premise is about different Spider-people from different styles and aesthetics (i.e. Noir, 1940s cartoons, anime, etc) the animation takes great advantage of that. But even without that and thus for most of the story, I've read somewhere that it's almost as if they animated the movie five times over and then overlaid it -- traditional hand-drawn, various types of CGI, a mimic of rotoscoping (without the actors, of course), etc. What we then get is basically an animated comic book that really takes advantage of its comic roots to great stylistic effect.

And with that said, the final battle is one of the most surreal and eye-popping sequences I've ever seen put to film, ever. Even the direction, editing, and pacing of that battle is just bonkers in the best sense possible, but also a lovely visual conflict that it's both out of the Spidey's depth yet somehow Spidey would be one of the very few heroes who could handle that, too.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-17-2018 at 10:38 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Wow, can't believe there wasn't a thread on the TV/movie forum until now.

Anyway, I adored the film. One of my easy favourites of the year.

I have a full, spoiler-free and gushing review of the film on my blog. Check it out here, if you so choose.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.