Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Killer Bee Challenge 1: Replace Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1. Replace Magneto- Not literally replace Magneto but Magneto is probably the most important character in the whole franchise. He has no good replacement and the franchise is at best when they are three compelling arguments Peaceful coexistence, By any means necessary protect yourself and Mutants represent a threat. Those three things interacting with each other you can write comics on forever. Without compelling mutant threat, the X-men fall apart. While the X-men have Cyclops and Jean Grey, or even Wolverine, Storm and Kitty. Magneto has no who can step in and fill that void. Now that Magneto is "Bad" again the need an heir to the throne so to speak.
    Spinning out of the crazy idea thread, Killer Bee lists some practical solutions that sound more like suggestions. I feel each could or should be debated individually rather than in the context of "simple ideas" to freshen the entire franchise. Any thoughts on who could fill, or least wear, the very big shoes of Magneto?

There's only one answer.

spoilers:
    Xavier
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    There's only one answer.

spoilers:
    Xavier
    end of spoilers
    You mean
    spoilers:
    X
    end of spoilers

I wish Magneto interacted with more X-Men during his lengthy time with the team and had a little "X-Acolytes" going with people who admired his ideas while also operating within the confines of Xavier-bred morality. I think this could've been a cool, slow build-up into finding his heir.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    There's only one answer.
    I was sure you were going to say:

spoilers:
    Glob
    end of spoilers

So I'm returning to this topic because I had a long think before bed about who, among Magneto's cohort, would have the "Magneto" qualities to succeed him. Almost ALL of Magneto's Brotherhood and Acolyte allies are incredibly, incredibly selfish. Magneto's motivation is to protect "his people", a drive that's thwarted by his own ego and megalomania.

I'm ignoring Exodus for a lot of reasons that amount to the objective truth that he sucks and is unsalvageable.

I'm going to be controversial with this suggestion and say that Cyclops SHOULD have always been groomed to succeed Magneto. We SORT of got that with the years that led to AvX and later led to his death... but from where I'm sitting, Cyclops is the original Anakin. Abuse, depression, fear of his own power, burden of responsibility, dramatic deaths, loss of role, loss of family, loss of purpose, and then topped with the appearance of a daughter from a dystopia that shares nothing with him but his name... Cyclops is a living anti-life equation and ripe for heel-turn. He'd take the Brotherhood and mold them into what the MLF could've and should've been, all the while presenting as a sympathetic villain with all the villain tropes: monstrous codename, devastating power, strategic leader, cold-blooded clarity.

He cares about mutants, but he doesn't have the ego problem Magneto always suffered.

If you ever read Genosha Excalibur than you know the answer is Callisto.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    If you ever read Genosha Excalibur than you know the answer is Callisto.
    I didn’t. And I’m only slightly familiar with the plot. I’ve always felt Callisto was a formidable charismatic leader, but was never recognized as such by X-Men teams. She’s always a bully or foil, never a force to be reckoned with. Kinda why I’d merge her character with Frenzy were I given the chance.

Apocalypse is a suitable replacement in my eyes. He just doesn't care for the weak mutants. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The Master from Alpha Flight.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

So here are the choices in my mind. But first I think next Magneto needs fill out couple of these boxes

1. Team beater-They should be a challenge to group of x-men by themselves
    2. Character Longevity-The character will be filling a important role in the franchise and it is easier to accept character who has been around for awhile and has importance to franchise
    3. Complexity in their story-They shouldn't just be moustache twirling villain

The character doesn't have all of them right away but they help .Here is my list

Polaris- She is basically the perfect heir to Magneto she has the most things you are looking for next Magneto . She is the strongest candidate imo . The X-office has no idea how to use her so this better direction anything that will happen to her in the books and her direct connection Magneto and same powerset make her easy fill in. You can use the storyline from the Gifted where she get a daughter and that could be catalyst like it was in that show where she goes from peaceful coexist to creating a world where her daughter can be safe.

Exodus- He has been Magneto number 2 for awhile. He has powerset and longevity but his character has been jack up. He is missing the complexity needed but I believe that can be fixed . This go around with Exodus they need to make him stand out more and have his own philosophy. He has connection to Apocalypse and Magneto so he should make for interesting antagonist right?

Elixir- He has none of the thing on the list but out everyone so far on the New Brotherhood he has the most future potential imo. I think writers can work him into something special

Vulcan- He is wild card choice but he has powerset and he has complexity needed I think but I think he most likely of my suggestions to be written like a Stereotypical villain

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I didn’t. And I’m only slightly familiar with the plot. I’ve always felt Callisto was a formidable charismatic leader, but was never recognized as such by X-Men teams. She’s always a bully or foil, never a force to be reckoned with. Kinda why I’d merge her character with Frenzy were I given the chance.
    You should check it out. It has Mags, Callisto and Xavier really kind of working as equals rather than enemies

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    You should check it out. It has Mags, Callisto and Xavier really kind of working as equals rather than enemies
    Is it collected in trade form? The fact that it was titled Excalibur left a sour taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Is it collected in trade form? The fact that it was titled Excalibur left a sour taste in my mouth.
    Here you go. I think there were only two or three trades, so not a long read.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I have the perfect answer for this but I gotta say....

The X-men don't need a villain they need a secondary book about mutants who actively oppose the dream.

Half the people on this board don't even LIKE xaviers dream.

Many actually HATED CYKE until he started to become "mutant hitler X" or whatever marvel was pushing for.

What are you really looking for when they turned Cyclops into magneto.
    They even kind of advertised it in "Fear itself" "become what you hate the most"-and a picture of cyclops.

I really want a thread about what people think mutants are supposed to be fighting for.

But if:
    Xavier = Mutant Acceptance, and integration
    Apocalypse = Mutant Oligarchy decided by power

What do you think Magneto exactly want? Separatism?

I don't know if anyone's really knows it but being an African-american in the south myself and having the differences between
    "Through peaceful means" and "By any necessary" was instilled in my very young in my life.
    So... I'm not sure how close people feel the civil rights struggle influenced those early stan lee years, but Malcom X for example was really cool with Self-determination through self segregation.
    Which is why genosha getting bombed really resonated with me and it reminded me of the fate of black wallstreet.

TL;DR= When you say New Magneto... What torch is this "bad guy" supposed to be carrying exactly?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.