Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

While I don't hate the beard, I prefer Aquaman clean shaven. He has never looked right with a beard.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm a fan of the beard. Don't mind him without it at all, but the return of the 90's look sets him apart IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    They'll probably ignore Kaldr's sexuality since it would get the movies banned in China if they addressed it.
    I'd be amazed if Kaldur ever made it into a movie at all. Outside of the Young Justice cartoon the character barely exists, with sporadic, brief showings over the course of almost a decade. If Kaldur did make it into a movie, they'd likely just ignore his sexuality completely, with no love interest of any kind and no mention of which way he swings. Which is pretty standard. Supporting characters and sidekicks usually dont have a lovelife of any kind in superhero films.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Given the way that comic book distribution is set up with specialty stores and distribution channels, I doubt it's hard to increase the sale of floppies from a film hit. The LCS are set up to sell to comic book fans, not real mass distribution.

Trades and merchandise are another story. I imagine they can see noticably increased sales, especially on the merchandise side.
    Last time I looked at the data, trades see a spike for a month or two but usually settle back down to standard numbers quickly. It's a nice little short term boost but little more. The merchandise is another matter; the movie merchandise obviously adds a lot of stuff to the shelf and sees mass market distribution, unlike most merchandise items that're only sold in limited quantities with limited distribution. So a movie definitely sells more merchandise, but most of those extra sales are products spun directly from the film and when those go off the shelf (which is usually a couple months?), merchandise sales return to normal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't think it works as well for current comic Aquaman. Even Mera doesn't like the beard .
    Even Mera has her flaws.

He's already sporting a beard and longer hair in the comics, which is about as much synergy as DC has followed with Momoa's Aquaman up to this point.
    And I dont expect the synergy to go much further than that, honestly. Most of the time a vague visual similarity is as far as DC pushes their synergy. Perhaps a movie's villain will get a big arc in comics around the time of the film's debut but little else.

Which is fine, I dont need the kind of synergy Marvel chases, and I've yet to see evidence that it actually helps the comics anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I don't hate the beard, I prefer Aquaman clean shaven. He has never looked right with a beard.
    I especially don't think it works with the classic suit.

Momoa is probably the only time I've seen the beard and classic suit actually work well together visually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm a fan of the beard. Don't mind him without it at all, but the return of the 90's look sets him apart IMO.
    But it's not really his 90's look. It's his classic costume plus a beard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd be amazed if Kaldur ever made it into a movie at all. Outside of the Young Justice cartoon the character barely exists, with sporadic, brief showings over the course of almost a decade. If Kaldur did make it into a movie, they'd likely just ignore his sexuality completely, with no love interest of any kind and no mention of which way he swings. Which is pretty standard. Supporting characters and sidekicks usually dont have a lovelife of any kind in superhero films.
    Wan's said you don't introduce somebody like Aqualad until the sequel, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we'll see an Aqualad in the next Aquaman movie.

And Kaldur probably has a better chance of showing up then Garth does, to be honest.
    Even Mera has her flaws.
    In this case I agree with her .

Astonishing Member

I like the beard mainly because my first exposure to Aquaman was Morrison's JLA, which was during the time he had the beard and the hook. And then came the JL cartoon where it was the same.

I wonder why they decided to go with that look in the movies though. Was Snyder a fan of 90's Aquaman?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I wonder why they decided to go with that look in the movies though. Was Snyder a fan of 90's Aquaman?
    I think Snyder was definitely going for 90's Aquaman but once he left they started moving towards something that more closely resembled Johns' Aquaman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    They'll probably ignore Kaldr's sexuality since it would get the movies banned in China if they addressed it.
    I understand the need for businesses to make a profit but pandering to bigots is disgusting.

I especially don't think it works with the classic suit.
    I think it depends on the artist and how they handle the beard. The 90's era definitely don't work with the classic suit, he was too shaggy and unkempt. But the more groomed versions like we've seen in the Brave & The Bold cartoon and Sejic's run on the title, work fine. The hair's a little long right now for my tastes but the shorter beard looks good. Mamoa seems to make it work as well I guess.

Wan's said you don't introduce somebody like Aqualad until the sequel, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we'll see an Aqualad in the next Aquaman movie.

And Kaldur probably has a better chance of showing up then Garth does, to be honest.
    I hope you're right. Kaldur is the only Aqualad I have any interest in seeing in the role. Nothing against Garth but I feel like a movie could skip the Aqualad phase and go straight to Tempest territory, if anyone bothered to include him at all.

And Ive never held that against you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I like the beard (or even the mutton chops Lee drew on him) but I dislike how artist use the beard to make him look grizzled or like a biker. Sejic gave him the beard but kept Arthur pretty. Thanks to Momoa, Aquaman is gonna he seen as one of the ultimate sex symbols of the comic book world. I say keep that going. Give Nightwing a run for his money. Nothing gratuitous, but if you got it flaunt it
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-17-2018 at 12:27 PM.

He wasn't wearing it with the classic suit though .

(And comic Aquaman's personality is a lot different from what it was in the 90's).
    I was thinking about that. Was it really that different after he started his quest to unite the seven kingdoms?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

#MeraWasRight

I agree that it doesn't work for Arthur in his classic suit, but Mamoa nails it and I think it's because he has a completely different characterization, so I can see him as a different incarnation of the same character and it works.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Short hair and beard works in the comis imo, don't like the long hair and beard.

As for film Mamoa was just perfect casting he's rocked every look as Aquaman just interested to see what he looks like with short hair!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I was thinking about that. Was it really that different after he started his quest to unite the seven kingdoms?
    He actually started off with the beard and the classic look, issue 4 it got shredded i believe, and i think 5 was where he got it the new suit. Issue 16 was nice, cause it went back to the classic suit, but with a gold chest plate.

I love Aquaman either way. Both looks have their benefits. I think the beard does set him apart from every comic book hero that has the exact same face, just different hair color. The problem with the beard though is a lot of artists don't know how to draw it and he ends up looking like an old hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think it depends on the artist and how they handle the beard. The 90's era definitely don't work with the classic suit, he was too shaggy and unkempt. But the more groomed versions like we've seen in the Brave & The Bold cartoon and Sejic's run on the title, work fine. The hair's a little long right now for my tastes but the shorter beard looks good. Mamoa seems to make it work as well I guess.
    I think the Young Justice short beard is a good compromise and fits modern Aquaman well enough.
    I hope you're right. Kaldur is the only Aqualad I have any interest in seeing in the role. Nothing against Garth but I feel like a movie could skip the Aqualad phase and go straight to Tempest territory, if anyone bothered to include him at all.
    I feel like Garth deserves his due with how often he's ignored, both in comics and out, but I'm probably really stringent on that because I know how likely it is that they'll probably use Kaldur over him.
    And Ive never held that against you.
    Thank you .

Extraordinary Member

I'm good with the beard, but the long hair makes him look a little too much like Thor.