The X-Men suffer from lack of identifiable X-Men. Meaning every time a writer comes up on a book, he wants to throw whatever random mutants on the team. The writer stays on for little more than a few months (okay a year) and the lineup fall apart.

In the 80s the X-Men worked out because they had a stable lineup that slowly changed. Even in the 90s, for the most part they had just the blue and gold teams and the line ups did not change. Post Morrison it's been a bit of a disaster.

I think Marvel needs to identify who the CORE X-Men are, and make just TWO teams. And keep these lineups LONG term. Some of the characters should go to a reconstituted Excalibur team too.

Gold team.

Phoenix (Jean)
Storm(who is a goddess)
Nightcrawler
Iceman
Gambit
Monet
Colossus
Sunspot

Blue Team
Cyclops
Wolverine
Rogue
Polaris
Magik
Gentle
Kwannon
Jubilee

For both teams I tried to create a diversity of power sets and of characters. I didn't want to make say an all male or a female team, or an all white team.

Excalibur
Captain Britain
Meggan
Moonstar
Psylocke
Angel
Trinary
Maggot

X-Force
Cable
Domino
Warpath
Boom Boom/Meltdown
Thorn

X-Factor
the Cuckoos
Havok
Prodigy
Madrox
Wolfsbane
Armor
Banshee (Theresa aka Morrigan)
this team can investigate the supernatural as they did before.

The point is, if like in the 80s and the 90s books can have reliable, stable casts where the characters stories can grow and be developed, fans are likely to be interested in them again.