Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Incredible Member

I think it will spike sales wise, regardless of it having more pages and variant covers. Decent artist on the job, plus a writer who has obviously been building towards this with a number of these characters. Then you have some great character dynamics already built in before it starts.

I actually think if Rosenberg starts well on this it could be a huge hit, we already know he actually likes a lot of the characters he's writing here, so the chances are it is going to be a genuine team book rather than just a vehicle for perhaps one individual.

I am genuinely looking forward to it because I think the guy has a real feel for how Claremont wrote the X-Men and he has definitely spent a lot of time setting some of this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I agree the line-ups need some more stability, but not necessarily more core members.
    What the franchise is missing is the chance to really develop characters and relationships over time. The team is always changing after six months, no writer can make you care about them anymore.
    Agreed! The relationships and little personal anecdotal stories are really important in moving these characters away from just being mutant soldiers.

I'm really interested in seeing more characters do things outside of be X-Men, even in a superhero sense (Emma in the HFC, some mutants in Champions, Rictor helping mutant runaways, Shatterstar as landlord of the multiverse, more characters doing significant and exclusive stints as Avengers a la Sunspot and Rogue). It gives their sprawling horde of reserve X-Men a sense of purpose rather than seeming like everyone lies dormant in a Pokemon Center waiting for their trainer to employ them in their lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Marvel already made that issue extra-sized, and gave it extra marketing and 10+ variant covers.

So not really possible (for us at least) to say how much of the inevitable spike is due to those factors and others.
    true enough, but isn't one of them an $8 book?

To be honest, I don't know why more of the children of Xavier haven't broken off and formed their own teams. The original X-Force, like it or not, made sense.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is what I would like to see again. Teams that disagree with each other and go and do their own things. I have always hated the "we are all X-Men" approach to the team. Your right the original X-force made sense because these were the kids who were not just taught by Xavier. They also were taught by Magneto and Cable which gives them a different world view than those just taught by Xavier. The same should be true for the kids taught by Scott, Emma, Jean, and Logan. There should be conflicting views on how best to help mutants that are not just one side it good one side is bad approach. If your going to have multiple teams let them all have their own objectives and missions.

I'm with you. Some might say the books won't sell, but in today's 12-issue series reality why worry about it? Not like Marvel plans to try to keep anything going for 100 issues, anyhow.