Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

they should kill off every kid made by Aaron, Bendis and Morrison

Imo the problem with the current xbooks is the there is such a divide between what editorial/writers think readers want vs what readers actually want. and it doesn't help that editorial only listens to a small group of readers and think they're representative of the x-men reader base. Basically when we say we miss classic x-men storylines we mean we miss the innovative storylines that were unique, were about questioning the status quo, had a nice balance of action and character development. We miss the character driven books/storylines where characters went thru trial and tribulations and came out changed at the end, where characters were allowed to grow and changed instead of forever being caged as simplistic archetype. But instead editorial thinks we meant we just want classic era characters so we're stuck with the same 4 relationships going on an endless loop (they FINALLY got the memo we're tired of love triangles like barely 4 months ago) and the constant mutant massacre storyline without ever truly exploring why mutants are persecuted (and thats reflective of the writers and editors). Mutant storyline don't always have to be about mutant disaster which is why in my opinion the x-women team, academy x, new mutants vol 2 & 3, x-factor vol 3, astonishing and x-men legacy worked so well because they were character driven books in general (some suffered of dull arcs and editorial interference and the annual marvel crossover event) and were about navigating the world as a mutant as well as their relationships with one another be it platonic, familial, romantic or antagonistic. But alas each time an x-men gets an once of character development and growth it gets forgotten entirely in the next book they appear in.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I think Marvel needs to identify who the CORE X-Men are, and make just TWO teams. .
    They are no "CORE" X-men they are popular X-men but core implies that certain characters need to be around and that is 100% false. They have been points when Xavier,Cyclops,Jean, Storm,Nightcrawler and Kitty have carried the franchise. They have been points when Cable,Rogue, Wolverine,Magneto, Bishop and Gambit have carried the Franchise. Right now Emma, X-23, Magik is as important/popular as some of the older characters and would be a part of carrying the franchise if not them forcing the status quo back "the glory days".

I got it, folks. We get some of Claremont's DNA. We start cloning. Solid Claremont on Uncanny. Liquid Claremont on Astonishing. Solidus Claremont as lead editor. Then they can take control of the Arsenal Glob fortress, extract the names of the Disney execs from the WD A.I. system, and free mutantkind from the persecution of the Avengers and Spiders.

The problem with the core x-men line is that it's mostly just based on personal nostalgia, there is no core x-men because everyone started reading these books at different times. From a writers perspective you want to tell new and interesting stories it's difficult to do that when you're dealing with characters with 50 years of baggage and back story, and believe me if you get one thing about that back story wrong you'll have fans on your back about it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    The problem with the core x-men line is that it's mostly just based on personal nostalgia, there is no core x-men because everyone started reading these books at different times. From a writers perspective you want to tell new and interesting stories it's difficult to do that when you're dealing with characters with 50 years of baggage and back story, and believe me if you get one thing about that back story wrong you'll have fans on your back about it.
    I feel you but...there is definitely a core X-Men team. Just like with the F4. Just because they've had other members before doesn't change the fact that Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben are the core members.

On topic: Yes, there is definitely too many members in the team and it's time to start chopping em down.it's time to go back to ONE book with a tight, rotating cast. Have a set team of 5 or 6 members, put them through 2 good story arcs and rotate a couple members out and so on. Stop making multiple books with all these random characters just to give them screen time. The multiple book thing worked back when they had decent stories to tell

I think that its one of the best things for the X franchise to have so many characters. I would really like a book with a rotating cast. Some get to shine for 3-4 issues. Then comes in another story for a bit with a different group and at the end have it all tie in to an overlaying story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Two teams are too little considering how the roster have grown. There should be 3 teams
    Not every mutant needs to be in the X-Men. Some can move over to other books. Some can join other teams that don't have a book but show up in stories. The rest can just disappear.

4 Team books- No stupid schism neither civil wars needed.
    4 Stupids solos- Just one for char or team up. no Deadpool Assasin- Deadpool chef- Deadpool team up or Goku Deadpool.

XMEN- Cyke-Wolvie-Emma-Jean > soupopera here.
    UNCANNY XMEN> Rogue- Gambit new administration at the School here.
    ASTONISHING XMEN > Public relationship team- Kinda Wheedon era but more spectacular. team up with the Avengers. Rogue the leader as the bridge between Humans and Mutants. Scarlet Witch team member after they retcon the retcon of Mags and her.
    NEW XMEN- Kids book . Lead X23 and Gabby

Solos
    Wolverine
    X23
    Deadpool
    Ms and Mr X

And thats it.

Usually crossover with the Avengers in a cooperation term no stupids fights (even when they deserve it.) build Emma true redemption and thats how you fix the xmen.

Too many X-Men? No! Poorly written X-Men and more room for lesser characters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No there are too many X-Men. When every mutant is considered and X-Man than it just dilutes the meaning of the word. It is like how being and Avenger really means nothing anymore because EVERY non mutant character either is or has been at this point. It is the same with being an X-Men.

What made the books work in the old days was there were multiple teams, but they all had their own purpose and goals. Now the teams are all pretty interchangable because there is so much connection between them. In the old days when the book were at their peaks teams like X-Factor, X-Force, and Excaliber were out doing their own thing outside of the X-Men. They were not all based in the school either.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyJones View Post
    I feel you but...there is definitely a core X-Men team. Just like with the F4. Just because they've had other members before doesn't change the fact that Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben are the core members.

On topic: Yes, there is definitely too many members in the team and it's time to start chopping em down.it's time to go back to ONE book with a tight, rotating cast. Have a set team of 5 or 6 members, put them through 2 good story arcs and rotate a couple members out and so on. Stop making multiple books with all these random characters just to give them screen time. The multiple book thing worked back when they had decent stories to tell
    The F4 and the x-men are two completely different group/team dynamic. its comparing apples to oranges really. I mean the one it literally called the fantastic FOUR and the other is a team of mutants "who fight for a world that hates and fears them"

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    An identifiable roster won't magically make the books better. What's holding the X-Men books back is the writing and editing.
    Absolutely! I was excited about X-Men Gold and the Red at first, but both of them turned into solo books with supporting casts instead of team books. Until Marvel decides to use writers who can actually weave an interesting story that doesn't focus on one character, the X-books are going to continue to be a disappointment.

I found the first few issues of Uncanny to be disappointing as well. Issue after issue of hordes of Multiple Man and revisiting old plot lines like Angel and Psylocke have already lost my interest.

You can't name a problem and come up with a solution that is only going to feed into the problem. Fandom reshuffling of a roster isn't going to solve the problem of too many X-Men. We all have our wish list- but the writers/editors are the ones that get to have their stories told.