Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ranking 2018's DC and Marvel superhero films

Now that I've seen all the big-screen superhero releases from the Big Two for this year, I thought it might be a good exercise to rank them.

So here goes, from Best to Worst-

Black Panther

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Avengers: Infinity War

Aquaman

Venom

Ant Man and the Wasp

Deadpool 2

I have to say though that, on the whole, all these movies were pretty good movies, at the very least, and there were no real duds in my book this year.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

Black Panther

Deadpool 2

Ant Man and the Wasp.

Haven't seen the other two. Of those listed I liked them all and loved the top 3.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
    avengers: Infinity war

spider-man: Into the spiderverse

black panther

deadpool 2

ant man and the wasp.

Haven't seen the other two. Of those listed i liked them all and loved the top 3.
    get out of my head

Haven't seen Into the Spiderverse. This is how I'd rank the films I've seen this year:

Deadpool 2
    Black Panther
    Aquaman
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Venom

Niffleheim

Into the Spiderverse
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp

Not seen yet

Deadpool 2
    Aquaman
    Venom
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-24-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Freaking Awesome, GOAT SuperHero Movie for Me:

1. Black Panther

Really really really really really really great:

2. Infinity War
    3. Into the SpiderVerse

Solid:

4. Aquaman
    5. Deadpool 2
    6. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Dumpster Fire:

7. Venom
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Venom - Eats all the other movies brains
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Haven't seen it, but will and based on friend's reviews this will be #1 or #2 for me
    Black Panther - Solid movie, gets over praised a lot though
    Ant Man and the Wasp - Solid movie
    Avengers: Infinity War - Too many characters. Interesting but a little underwhelming as an Avengers movie. More of a Thanos movie
    Aquaman - Haven't seen it but I assume it will be passable
    Deadpool 2 - Haven't seen it but I assume it will be just like the first one, which got old after about the eleventh poop/sex joke.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Avengers: Infinity War - Too many characters. Interesting but a little underwhelming as an Avengers movie. More of a Thanos movie
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

But really though, Thanos is intentionally the center of the movie and everyone else is his supporting player. He's also the emotional center of the movie and every ramification in the movie can be traced back to him. He's the villain protagonist, as stated by the Russos and several film critics who reviewed it.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Absolutely incredible. Took my breath away.)
    Avengers: Infinity War (Incredibly flawed in some parts, but my enjoyment has outweighed any complaints I have with this film.)
    Black Panther (Lots of fun with a pretty compelling story and beautiful architecture. But not as good as many claim imo.)
    Deadpool 2 (Better than the first film in some ways and worse in others. I really enjoyed it.)
    Ant-Man and the Wasp (Meh. That's all I feel about this movie.)
    Aquaman (Not bad but there wasn't really anything that grabbed me either)
    Venom (Absolutely awful. The only movie out of all of these that I honestly hate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

But really though, Thanos is intentionally the center of the movie and everyone else is his supporting player. He's also the emotional center of the movie and every ramification in the movie can be traced back to him. He's the villain protagonist, as stated by the Russos and several film critics who reviewed it.
    For me it is a bad thing. I get what you are saying and understand how the MCU works - develop characters in their own films and join them together for big crossovers. You are supposed to know all you need by crossover time so little to no character development is needed. But I felt it was a lacking approach for this big of a film. Its great what they did, just logistically and visually, and it was fun to see, but I'll never watch it again. Only the original Avengers movie had the right balance of villain development and hero development, and I don't see why its been so hard to duplicate.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spider-Man and Black Panther were the best.

Infinity War for the spectacle.

Teen Titans Go to the Movies for the humor/references.

Deadpool 2 and Venom were hot garbage. I might see the PG-13 Deadpool because the framing mechanism looks hilarious.

The rest were okay.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I can understand liking Infinity War more, but Black Panther is the best MCU movie.

Of the seven, I've only seen Black Panther and Avengers. I'll see Aquaman Friday in theaters. I'll end up buying all on Blu-Ray, so I'll see the rest eventually.

I think Black Panther is the most "important" superhero movie since Wonder Woman as both celebrated their respective groups that have often not been celebrated to the same extent that the majority cultures have been. They were also both good, solid movies.

However, between Black Panther and Avengers, I enjoyed Avengers more. It wasn't as deep and meaningful, and it didn't right a wrong in the cultural sense. However, the problem I had with Black Panther is that the lead character himself was the least interesting character in the movie. Shuri, the other Wakandans, and Killmonger were all more compelling. I get that the filmmaker likely wanted to portray Black Panther in the classic stoic/heroic Superman mold to create that image for the black community, but I wish they could have found a way to give the actor more flavors to play. In contrast, Wonder Woman was the most interesting character in her movie and she got to play many different facets: warrior-badass, funny, adorable, determined, vulnerable, romantic, fish out of water, etc. Now that Black Panther has been established as a BOSS, I'd like to see different sides to the character in the sequels.

So, for me, without having seen Aquaman yet, I'd probably guess I'd put Avengers first and Aquaman and Black Panther as a tie for 2nd place. I love animation, and I'm sure Spider-Verse is as great as everyone says, but when comparing live action to animation, I can't usually rank them together in the same list. I just don't feel for animated characters the way I do human ones.

As for Ant-Man/Wasp and Deadpool 2, I didn't see either these or their predecessors at the theater. I've seen the original 2 on Blu-Ray, and I'll get around to their sequels on Blu-Ray, but I wasn't impressed with the first installments of either -- not a fan of overly jokey/hokey movies like these or GOTG. I'm sure Venom will be another that won't become a major favorite of mine.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

1) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    2) Avengers: Infinity War
    3) Deadpool 2
    4) Ant Man and the Wasp
    5) Teen Titans Go to the Movies
    6) Black Panther
    7) Aquaman
    518) Venom

A very good year all told. Venom was awful but I liked to loved the rest of them. The first two are the easy winners with the next bunch fighting a close race among them (I may be being a bit hard on BP but yeesh, that movie was overrated) with a bit of a drop to Aquaman (really fun but noticeably flawed) and then a huuuuge drop to Venom.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Avengers Infinity War
    Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse
    Deadpool 2
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Aquaman
    Titans Go to the Movies
    Venom