Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you think about this comment regarding aquaman and Wonder Woman?

Somebody asked if aquaman having a successful movie will mean the downfall of WW. I don't agree. But since we usually talk about how badly she is treated. I would like to know your opinion. This is the comment.

"Now that the Aquaman movie is out and doing extremely well (could be the first DCEU movie to make over a billion), it's fair to assume that he is going to play a bigger role in the larger DC universe. However could this be at the expense of Wonder Woman?

For the most part, wonder woman has 2 major things going for her (she is a symbol of female empowerment and DC's greatest warrior). Wonder Woman is considered to be a character that combines near Superman level power with Batman level skill and thus the greatest warrior. In the New 52 however, Aquaman's power levels went up in comparison to other characters (he was almost Diana's equal). It goes without saying that this kind of dilutes Wonder woman's status.

It's just that Aquaman has a lot more going for him outside his combat capabilities while Wonder woman is reliant on being the ultimate Warrior"

Extraordinary Member

The biggest thing Aquaman has going for him in his movie is Jason Momoa without a shirt.

This is just typical dumb-thinking. It's like saying Captain America movies will suffer because a Spider-Man movie does well and he has more powers.

Uh, no. Movies usually stand or fall on their own merits. The only way I see this being an actual concern would be if DC was idiotic enough to be release an Aquaman and Wonder Woman movie in competition to each other.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I see no reason to believe that a successful Aquaman movie - even if that results in a boost to attention for Aquman in DCU stories - should have any impact on Wonder Woman at all.

DC has managed to ignore Wonder Woman, misunderstand her, bollox up her backstory and supporting cast, and never settle on a direction for her, all without Aquaman getting in the way. They could support the character thoughtfully, clean up their messes, and give her some of the greater visibility she deserves, regardless of what happens with Aquaman.

It's not a zero-sum game. Or at least it doesn't have to be.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Depends on how her next movie goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Depends on how her next movie goes.
    I think there is enough space for everybody. We can have more than one hero having successful movies. Marvel already proved this.

Incredible Member

DC can only have a single movie franchise with a superheroic member of royalty (albeit with complicated parentage) from an ancient and secret society at any one point in time.

As such, Diana will be required to relinquish her tiara to Arthur as the new crowned standard bearer of DC movies!

I jest, somewhat. Given that this is DC we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if they once again ignored Wonder Woman and suddenly put all of their eggs in Aquaman's basket (or at least the eggs which aren't already in Batman's overflowing basket since he is their one, true golden child).

At the very least we will obviously still get Wonder Woman 1984. And hopefully it does well enough that DC green lights a third film so that we have a Wonder Woman trilogy (with the third movie being set in present day and possibly even introducing a legacy character (i.e. Donna or Cassie)).

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I don't think WW84 is going to fare much better because the main selling point of Aquaman is it CGI, beautiful Atlantis and underwater battles.
    Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman simply does not have the Visual spectacle or fantasy to sell the movie internationally where CGI is the main selling point.
    Also Aquaman has 200 million budget and had much better marketing campaign.l

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I don't think WW84 is going to fare much better because the main selling point of Aquaman is it CGI, beautiful Atlantis and underwater battles.
    Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman simply does not have the Visual spectacle or fantasy to sell the movie internationally where CGI is the main selling point.
    Also Aquaman has 200 million budget and had much better marketing campaign.l
    They had similar budgets. Thanks to WW proving not only batman can have a hit movie, things changed for the better for other characters with upcoming movies. Let's not act like WW flopped outside NA. It did very well. I am hoping for better CGI and battles for WW84, even more now that the film is set to be released in 2020. They have more time to develop.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    They had similar budgets. Thanks to WW proving not only batman can have a hit movie, things changed for the better for other characters with upcoming movies. Let's not act like WW flopped outside NA. It did very well. I am hoping for better CGI and battles for WW84, even more now that the film is set to be released in 2020. They have more time to develop.
    You are very kind to be believe in movie studios. They inflate and reduce the budget of movies all the time. Wonder Woman budget was just 110 million before it became successful.

How is there going to be better CGI and cool battles comparable to Aquaman? Amazons does not have technology, magical powers or Creatures and the Gods are dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    You are very kind to be believe in movie studios. They inflate and reduce the budget of movies all the time. Wonder Woman budget was just 110 million before it became successful.

How is there going to be better CGI and cool battles comparable to Aquaman? Amazons does not have technology, magical powers or Creatures and the Gods are dead.
    We don't need the amazons to have great battles with Wonder Woman. There are many Gods outside of the Greek Phanteon and other characters that can be used. And the dead Gods can akways comeback.

This is a strange concern. There's room for both to be successful, and I don't think Aquaman's success will take away from Wonder Woman's. Aquaman's film was well-received, but Wonder Woman's was critically beloved.

And I personally find it really cool that the two superheroes "least likely to succeed" are the ones who did just that.

What do I think about it? Nothing. It's meaningless.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Yeah, I see little to see here. If the DCEU wants to build upon the movie successes so far, they will likely build upon both Aquaman and Wonder Woman together, just as Marvel did with Iron Man and Captain America.

And within the comics world, there are lots of other characters that should be more "threatened" by a rise in prominence of Aquaman than Wonder Woman. In many ways the two characters fit well together thematically.

The question also assumes a zero-sum game when it comes to exposure. But it's not. A well-received and popular Aquaman helps the other DC characters.

The movies are going to continue to make a ton of money. Wonder Woman has already proven herself, and with WW1984, I don't see it doing anything but going up. It made most of it's money in the US, and the rest of the world now see's how great the character is, so it's going to be even bigger World Wide the next go round. Aquaman is going to do great. The two are two totally different worlds.

Now as far as the comics, DC Comics will never do anything that isn't centered around Superman and Batman. Regardless of the selling power that is Wonder Woman, merch etc. and the potential selling power of Aquaman, DC can't get their heads out of their butts and spread the wealth and resources to their other properties. They don't know anything but Superman and Batman.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    The movies are going to continue to make a ton of money. Wonder Woman has already proven herself, and with WW1984, I don't see it doing anything but going up. It made most of it's money in the US, and the rest of the world now see's how great the character is, so it's going to be even bigger World Wide the next go round. Aquaman is going to do great. The two are two totally different worlds.

Now as far as the comics, DC Comics will never do anything that isn't centered around Superman and Batman. Regardless of the selling power that is Wonder Woman, merch etc. and the potential selling power of Aquaman, DC can't get their heads out of their butts and spread the wealth and resources to their other properties. They don't know anything but Superman and Batman.
    WW made 410M outside North America. I think it did very well.