Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can imagine Aquaman's success will come at the expense of Superman or Batman, but no, not Wonder Woman.

It feels good knowing that my two favourite DC characters are on their way to have great franchises!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I think that the BvS Batman is in many ways my LEAST favorite.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Dragging this thread back for some speculation as I just saw Aquaman last night.

spoilers:
    In the film, six of the seven kingdoms are accounted for: Atlantis, Xebel, the Fishermen, the Brine, the Trench, and the destroyed kingdom in the Sahara. I would have to see it again, but I believe Vulko or someone mentioned a seventh that was lost/hidden. Unless this is meant to ultimately be where they found Atlan's tomb, dare I hope that the unaccounted kingdom is Venturia/Aurania?
    end of spoilers

With Wonder Woman and Aquaman being the only two fully embraced heroes in the DCEU, could the build back up to a new JL film include a team up movie with these two...with Queen Clea as the villain/one of the villains? Also, because I'm greedy and foolishly getting my hopes up, maybe we could get a post credit scene with Clea meeting the Cheetah for a future WW plot?

I'd love to see Mera throw down with Clea.

Spectacular Member

If anything, the two heroes mythologies help booster each others. I'd love to see a story set in the past that showed interactions between the Atlanteans and Amazons. One of my favorite Aquaman stories, was an Aquaman annual where it showed Arthur as a teen and he was assisting her against Posideon's son Tritonis. Story ended with a teen Arthur telling a teen Diana how much he wanted to kiss her. Hopefully this will show DC that they don't have to rely only on Bats and Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The biggest thing Aquaman has going for him in his movie is Jason Momoa without a shirt.

This is just typical dumb-thinking. It's like saying Captain America movies will suffer because a Spider-Man movie does well and he has more powers.

Uh, no. Movies usually stand or fall on their own merits. The only way I see this being an actual concern would be if DC was idiotic enough to be release an Aquaman and Wonder Woman movie in competition to each other.
    Yes, it's like saying "Iron-Man" was a huge success so they'll toss out plans to do any good movies with other characters.

I liked "Aquaman" but it was way too heavy with fights and action. I was actually bored with it half-way through except for the tidbits of character and story here and there. The flashbacks to his origin were the best part. I was never bored with WW.

But, that said, they aren't going to ignore the potential of their other big success. It's like the old joke.

"Hey, in this story I wrote, what sentence do you think is the best?"

"Oh, that's hard to say. They're both so good."

They've only had two real successes, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. They will try their best by both of them unless they've learned nothing from their mistakes.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

I do think Diana and Arthur are different performers. Wonder Woman plays well to a domestic audience (about 50% of the gross). Aquaman plays better to an international audience (about 75% of the gross). This is an oversimplification, but it's the character stuff that appeals to the domestic audience, while the big action scenes appeal to the international audience.

Any studio that has both domestic and international favourites among its offering is well set.

All due respect to James Wan and Patty Jenkins, but they aren't the ones actually doing the effects in their movies. There's a long list of people who do that--as one can see if they sit through all the credits. So the more time and money given to post production, the better the result I think. And after Warner sees how well AQUAMAN has done, they'll probably use all that extra time they've given themselves to ensure WW 84 is a feast for the eyes.

In the comic books, I'd agree that DC will probably push Aquaman harder. The mostly male writers at DC don't appear to have much ambition to write Wonder Woman and they'll look for any excuse to do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I do think Diana and Arthur are different performers. Wonder Woman plays well to a domestic audience (about 50% of the gross). Aquaman plays better to an international audience (about 75% of the gross). This is an oversimplification, but it's the character stuff that appeals to the domestic audience, while the big action scenes appeal to the international audience.

Any studio that has both domestic and international favourites among its offering is well set.

All due respect to James Wan and Patty Jenkins, but they aren't the ones actually doing the effects in their movies. There's a long list of people who do that--as one can see if they sit through all the credits. So the more time and money given to post production, the better the result I think. And after Warner sees how well AQUAMAN has done, they'll probably use all that extra time they've given themselves to ensure WW 84 is a feast for the eyes.

In the comic books, I'd agree that DC will probably push Aquaman harder. The mostly male writers at DC don't appear to have much ambition to write Wonder Woman and they'll look for any excuse to do something else.
    Ironic that Aquaman is being written by a woman then, eh?

BANNED

That's because the first WW film didn't have action and cgi as strong as aquaman. So the fact that WW still did 410M outside North America is very good. The franchise has the potential to grow globally.

So aquaman has a hit movie and that will give him a push in the comics? Wonder Woman got a hit film and didn't have a push in the comics, why? She proved herself. She deserves better.

Retired

She deserves better, but she hasn't gotten it. You'd think, after the success of the movie, there would be one writer that stayed on the title for a long run and there would be a clear plan for the character--but that didn't really happen.

BANNED

She deserves better, but she hasn't gotten it. You'd think, after the success of the movie, there would be one writer that stayed on the title for a long run and there would be a clear plan for the character--but that didn't really happen.
    And why is that? You can see a push for aq. But WW can't have a push? So DC doesn't care. What other explanation could there be?