Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    They need good writers. That should be number one. Iconic and good stories for characters is what gets adapted in other media which is what makes them more renowned. Villains, city and that specific characters world building plays a role.
    I agree with this.
    I truly think ANY character can become high profile given they have a great writer with a genuine interest and love for the character & cast they're writing about.
    Think what they COULD have done with Ted Kord had DC decided not to go all 'killy'. That single issue (Countdown to Infinite Crisis) generated a TON of reader interest that could have easily been channeled into giving Blue Beetle the push he deserves. Jaime is a great character, and I've supported the book from the get-go, but I do think poor old Ted got well & truly shafted.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

How about Swamp Thing? He’s had TV shows and movies such that his name is recognizable yet it was a while ago so he’s ready for a reintroduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    They can also be cultivated, I think. Though that's a pretty difficult thing to pull off. Seems a pretty big gamble, setting up a particular IP for A-list status without incentive from the fans.
    Cultivation is what comes next, I'd argue. You have a hit character, you try to cultivate it, but then you need to find out if it resonates with people.

The list isn't, I'd say, something that's needed as much as something which gets developed during the course of becoming an A-list character. Afterwards, you might say that so-and-so character fits archetype so-and-so, but starting out with the archetype seldom works. It is something which is developed or discovered over time as part of the process of becoming A-list.
    Last edited by kjn; 12-18-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: clarity

A-list plan

Step 1. Move Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman off the board. For this example The Big 3 and Justice League will be fighting the Guardians in Space for a couple issues

Step 2. A-List writer and artist with characters in a meaningful story. This example Sideways, Cyborg and Raven with Titans are charged with protecting earth in absence of the big heroes written by Tom Taylor/Scott Snyder drawn by Jim Lee /Ivan Reis

Step 3. A big Marketing push about the history of characters,encourage bloggers to talk about characters,do big sales on the collection and have in lots of guest spots in other DC books.

Step 4. (Most important step) . Big Heroes return.You actively go out of your way to treat the new heroes on the same level as the old heroes. Yeah it is cheesy but in universe respect sets a tone for character "Omg Looks its Superman" "Wow it's Cyborg" "The heroes are here" said the crowd.

Step 5. Big Event with New big heroes and old classic integrated avoid the temptation to lean on the big heroes for the key moments.

Step 6. Solo books with A-list teams and long cancelation leash. Don't be afraid to relaunch again after 12 issues.

Step 7. Repeat Step 2.

That is the general plan. The only thing missing is Cartoon/Tv show/Movie. DC A-List is a little harder because the top heroes are so Iconic and important to feel of the main universe. The Sentry has come along surpass Thor in power no big gripes from the fans. You make hero stronger than Superman and push them as stronger watch the meltdown happen. You can argue that over the last couple of years the Top hero in Marvel has switch between Iron Man, Captain America and now Black Panther. Building up heroes are exercises in power fantasy you don't necessarily have move hero down to move one up. But making heroes feel competent and the best at what they do goes a long away.

My big suggestion for DC would be that Big 3(Green Lantern and Flash) are reservists/part time in the Justice league call in for Big Events and used sparingly in stories (to keeps sales up of course). And Justice League gets to be platform for elevating characters mid level characters

Short plan: Give them a cool redesign and a prominent and surprisingly significant role in the next DC video game.

Mighty Member

Really, I don't think comics have anything to do with it. At one point, yes, but that time is gone. I think you have to do it via other media, and you have to be committed, and that's the only way.

For example, I think Static could have easily become A-list, but Milestone was already done with and there was no further push after the show. Regardless, you show kids some quality entertainment, chances are huge that they're going to grow up with a love for it. The important thing is, the hard thing is, once you get them hooked you have to be able to keep stuff out there in tv/movie/video game world, because in reality, most kids/teens don't read comics. Most people that read comics are adults. Everyone in the world recognizes Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. A very small percentage of those same people read comics. I also think there's a protagonist factor involved. The benefit of being the main character and NOT being seen as primarily part of a team.

That's just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Cultivation is what comes next, I'd argue. You have a hit character, you try to cultivate it, but then you need to find out if it resonates with people.

The list isn't, I'd say, something that's needed as much as something which gets developed during the course of becoming an A-list character. Afterwards, you might say that so-and-so character fits archetype so-and-so, but starting out with the archetype seldom works. It is something which is developed or discovered over time as part of the process of becoming A-list.
    I think that's exactly how it usually comes out. Natural selection in fictional form, as it were. I mean, no one *made* Harley Quinn an A-lister, DC just followed the money from merchandise and met the demand curve with more supply until the next thing we knew, she was the "fourth pillar" of the company. It just happened, she wasn't anyone that DC was pushing on purpose, they were just giving fans what they wanted until it was "too late."

But we're talking about purposefully moving a character into A-list status, in which case you have to kind of fake it and provide the supply, in the hopes that the demand will rise to meet it. The best example I can think of for this is how Marvel has been pushing Carol Danvers. They're trying to make her an A-lister without any major push from the fans (beyond what we saw in 2012, which is still noteworthy) and we can see their attempts to bring in the elements I talked about earlier to Carol, hoping that fans would get on board.

Im not saying this kind of artificial elevation actually works, of course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But we're talking about purposefully moving a character into A-list status, in which case you have to kind of fake it and provide the supply, in the hopes that the demand will rise to meet it. The best example I can think of for this is how Marvel has been pushing Carol Danvers. They're trying to make her an A-lister without any major push from the fans (beyond what we saw in 2012, which is still noteworthy) and we can see their attempts to bring in the elements I talked about earlier to Carol, hoping that fans would get on board.

Im not saying this kind of artificial elevation actually works, of course.
    Though Carol Danvers is sort of a special case, since Marvel doesn't have a first lady. The niche they are pushing Captain Marvel into is awfully wide. (And note that that analysis is from 2013. Since then Wonder Woman has headlined her own majorly successful film.)

I'd say that while Marvel beats DC's pants when it comes to ethnic representation, DC beats Marvel's pants when it comes to female representation, and that's while DC are clueless about the types of icons that Poison Ivy and Oracle were and are.

Ultimate Member

I'd say that while Marvel beats DC's pants when it comes to ethnic representation, DC beats Marvel's pants when it comes to female representation, and that's while DC are clueless about the types of icons that Poison Ivy and Oracle were and are.
    Marvel had no trouble giving a variety of females solo shots instead of using the same few. Marvel has given more females of color shots than DC. Despite the fact DC has the longest running minority female lead solo in Cassandra Cain (who Ms Marvel will by pass in 2020.) Catwoman, WW, Supergirl and if you count all the Batgirls boast over 100+ issues (Babs is about 2 years from 100).

Groot is kinda a household name. So whatever Marvel did there.

I don't know if it's possible to just decide that a character will be pushed to A-level. It can happens, but it needs a perfect storm :
    -A good writer
    -A good story
    -Themes which resonates with the readers at the time of the release
    -The choice to not use another, better known character to tell the story
    -Support from both DC and the fans; greatness doesn't happen overnight

And those are just the bare bones, to me, that I can't see a conscious push. Even as a fan of the NAoH characters, I can't find a way to make them more relevant for the wider readership for instance. And older obscure characters aren't in a better position.

After all, if they failed once to achieve such ranks, how could they do so again without changing drastically, and thus alienating their fans (just look at the relative outrage at the new Hawkman origin, which I really like, for instance).

Heavy push in outside media (Cartoons and Movies), once that has some momentum feature them heavily in a Batman story (any one will do). After that do a follow-up with a mini series. Then you graduate to a ongoing with a popular writer and a good artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Groot is kinda a household name. So whatever Marvel did there.
    This is true, the people love baby Groot.

1. Key role in a big crossover event, to generate initial interest.
    2. As others mentioned, needs major exposure in other media (hint: that's how Harley grew in popularity so quickly).
    3. Involvement with a DC team, so that "non-interested" parties can get acquainted with the character without having to try too hard.
    (again, Harley, as a Suicide Squad member).
    4. Fill a unique role or demographic or power set, such that the character doesn't feel overly derivative and can serve a unique purpose that ten other characters don't already fulfill. (Booster Gold started to fill this niche when he began more time & multiverse adventures).

I'd make my pitch for several of the Titans c-list characters...even though I'd probably get thrown out of the office.

Though Carol Danvers is sort of a special case, since Marvel doesn't have a first lady. The niche they are pushing Captain Marvel into is awfully wide. (And note that that analysis is from 2013. Since then Wonder Woman has headlined her own majorly successful film.)
    She is a special case. I dont recall ever seeing a publisher try to elevate a character like Marvel has tried with Carol. Push a character, yes, but not to the degree they've pushed her.

I dont think we'll be able to say if that push has worked or not until after the film has hit. We'll have to see what kind of merchandise she ends up moving, both while the film is out and afterwards.

Agreed. For all the complaining about DC's lack of diversity (and there is plenty to complain about, dont get me wrong), they're not half as bad as a lot of folks think. And the main reason why Marvel did better than them at racial diversity is because of the X-Men; Marvel's other IP's were largely all just as whitebread as DC's outside of the mutants.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.