Thread: Nextwave

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Nextwave

What happened to them? Did they just fade back into obscurity after the original run? I know Monica moved on to Avengers, but I’m really surprised no one ever went back to the team. There’s a huge gap for them to fill.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I just don't think Marvel, Ellis, and Immonen have had the time/interest to do more with them as a group. Agents of H.A.T.E was a fun series while it lasted, but I'm comfortable with it being left as is. I haven't really cared about the various attempts to work the series into the regular Marvel Universe either.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Invincible Member

Originally, it was supposed to continue after Ellis left, but Marvel felt the numbers weren't strong enough to justify Stuart's page rate so they decided to simply end it. I guess someone could have picked it up after a couple of years, but perhaps the fact that it was so soaked in Ellis's own brand of sarcasm and satire made it too daunting for some creators?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    What happened to them? Did they just fade back into obscurity after the original run? I know Monica moved on to Avengers, but I’m really surprised no one ever went back to the team. There’s a huge gap for them to fill.
    Most members have been seen somewhat frequently (Monica in Avengers, Boom Boom in X-Men, Elsa in Monsters Unleashed) or sporadically (Aaron). Only the Captain seems to be relegated to limbo, which is a shame. He'd be great in some of the more humor-driven books Marvel's been doing lately.

Nextwave should never come back. It's their thing. It ended. No sequels. There is no reason to bring it back. It's special. The only thing that should be done in response to the book is using the characters more, which has happened to all of their benefit. Even The Captain showed up in Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Even The Captain showed up in Nova.
    I did not know that! I'll have to investigate.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Nextwave should never come back. It's their thing. It ended. No sequels. There is no reason to bring it back. It's special. The only thing that should be done in response to the book is using the characters more, which has happened to all of their benefit. Even The Captain showed up in Nova.
    I largely agree, it gave some fun character interpretations/designs but I don't a continuation would be in its best interest. As is it's a 12 issue series that accomplished everything it set out to do, and did it expertly.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I did not know that! I'll have to investigate.
    It was in the solo Sam one during ANAD. I think during Civil War II? It's a fun team-up.

Agree with Snoop Dogg that it should be allowed to stand on it's own. I loved it, but thwt is kinda why I want it to just be. And even though it was supposed to be alt universe, or something, it's had a lasting impact, not just in Monica showing up in Avengers again, but don't forget that Elsa Bloodstone was COMPLETELY reworked for the series, Ellis ditched the cheesecake Buffy knockoff in favor for the Elsa that continues to be used to this day, like, everyone just quietly agreed this was Elsa now, continuity be damned. (no complaints, I love Elsa as she is now. And yes, I do realize Ewing did some retcons that placed it in continuity, in a way, but still, that was not the original intent.) I'd love to see more of the characters popping up though.
    Last edited by Raye; 12-17-2018 at 09:09 PM.