All-New Member

Default What would you recommend to someone that really likes Saga and Paper Girls?

Got a friend who is really into both Saga and Paper Girls. The latter of which she got me to finally give a shot a couple weeks ago. Is it blasphemy to say that I think I like Paper Girls even more?

Anyways, while I think both are fucking god and win, I mostly read superhero comics and so I don't know what else to recommend to her. Any suggestions? Please say why.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It isn't blasphemy to prefer Paper Girls. While both it, and Saga are great I would say PG is easier to appreciate. PG definitely feels like it's going somewhere as well.

I don't read all that many comics, but if she's into two books by Brian K. Vaughan she'd probably like his other work. Y: The Last Man from Vertigo, Ex Machina from WildStorm. Heck, maybe even try his original run on Runaways. It may be likely she's already read these titles however. They're all winners in my book though.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm not a fan of Saga or Paper Girls anymore, but I'd suggest she look into Alex + Ada, from a few years ago.
    From elsewhere than Image... Bone, Fables, Squirrel Girl.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Other than Vaughns other works, id rec Wicked + The Divine, Morning Glories and Plutona.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I'm not a fan of Saga or Paper Girls anymore, but I'd suggest she look into Alex + Ada, from a few years ago.
    I think Matt's on to something here, Alex + Ada is fantastic and really fits with the type of stories told in Paper Girls and Saga. It's simultaneously different enough to stand out though, both in art style and premise. I don't think it's hyperbole to state Alex + Ada was one of the best comic series to come out in recent years. It's also fairly short at 15 issues, and tells a compelling story that doesn't feel unfinished.

Depending on their age and how raunchy their sense of humour is, I would tentatively throw out Sex Criminals as another suggestion. Very funny series about a couple who can stop time when they make love, and try to rob banks by doing so. Keep in mind this one deals with decidedly adult themes around sexuality and medication, and many of its jokes veer in the exact opposite direction of maturity (the sex police, yes really, use adult toys instead of batons, etc.). It's a quality book though, rightfully was in the running for comic of the year a few times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by MorteTorment View Post
    Got a friend who is really into both Saga and Paper Girls

Does your friend like the fantasy genre at all, or just sci-fi? If yes, both of those examples have twists and turns and strong female leads so I would recommend Isola, also from Image

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/iso...r/1128208192#/

and Highest House from IDW

https://smile.amazon.com/Highest-Hou...=highest+house

I am mainly a superhero reader myself but I thought those were both great. Hope this helps

You know, it's from now several years ago, but I wonder if "Leave it to Chance" might also be a winner for her; got a fair pedigree (from wikipedia): written by James Robinson, illustrated by penciler Paul Smith and published by Image Comics. It features the adventures of Chance Falconer, the 14-year-old daughter of famed paranormal investigator Lucas Falconer, and her pet dragon, St. George.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I’ll echo what others have said by recommending Alex + Ada, which is one of the best comics of the decade and far too overlooked!!

I’d also recommend:

•The Wicked + The Divine - People (mostly teenagers) get to be god’s for two years at most (then they’re dead). They’re also pop stars. This is currently on its final arc so now is a good time to start reading the trades as there won’t be a long wait to reach the end. Genuinely one of the best books of the 21st century and a favourite of mine. It will break the reader’s heart over and over but keep them coming back for more.

•Die - This is only two issues in, wth #3 out this week. Written by Kieron Gillen (writer of WicDiv, see above) with some of the most stunning interior art about. It’s been described as goth Jumanji, which is pretty accurate (but with added high fantasy and all that) while also doing the series a disservice by understating how amazing it is.

•Descender - I’ve only actually read half of this (plan to finish it before April though!!) but it’s a heartfelt space story about a kid robot. If your friend likes science fiction, which I’m guessing they do if they like Saga and Paper Girls, then this is absolutely a must read for them!!

•Highest House - A wonderful little fantasy story with beautiful art that examines class inequalities. Definitely worth checking out, and it’s just the one volume!

•Locke & Key - My personal favourite series error. It has murder, magic keys and demons. It also focuses around kids/teens (like Paper Girls). Everyone should read it!!
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Ah, yes: Highest House, enjoyed that!
    Really liked Locke and Key, too, until the very end, which was a pricey hardback I felt ripped off readers who wanted to finish the series, but to do so had to be willing to spend a chunk of cash. But up to that point, good, good series.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Ah, yes: Highest House, enjoyed that!
    Really liked Locke and Key, too, until the very end, which was a pricey hardback I felt ripped off readers who wanted to finish the series, but to do so had to be willing to spend a chunk of cash. But up to that point, good, good series.
    Are you referring to Volume 6? Because all of the volumes came out as hardbacks first and it was priced similarly to the others (the slightly higher price being because it was longer). The whole series is available as TPBs now.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by MorteTorment View Post
    Got a friend who is really into both Saga and Paper Girls. The latter of which she got me to finally give a shot a couple weeks ago. Is it blasphemy to say that I think I like Paper Girls even more?

Anyways, while I think both are fucking god and win, I mostly read superhero comics and so I don't know what else to recommend to her. Any suggestions? Please say why.
    Better tastes
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"