Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 288
  1. #256
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Another Venom-related What If:

    Venom's original origin story is in full effect: Instead of a man Eddie Brock we get a woman that was pregnant and during one of Spider-Man's fights against a villain she loses her child as a result of it and blames Spider-Man in her heartbroken state, before she proceeds to bond with the Symbiote to create Venom.
    So basically the original premise?

  2. #257
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Another Venom-related What If:

    Venom's original origin story is in full effect: Instead of a man Eddie Brock we get a woman that was pregnant and during one of Spider-Man's fights against a villain she loses her child as a result of it and blames Spider-Man in her heartbroken state, before she proceeds to bond with the Symbiote to create Venom.
    That would have been cool. I always liked Venom and Brock... but on a very basic level his origin was dumb. Brock hated Spider-man for proving he sucked at his job.... he didn't MAKE him suck at his job... he just did what he did and the fact that he sucked became obvious. It was a very weak and very irrational hatred to build an epic villain on.

    Now if one of his fights had cost Venom's host to lose a child (pre-born OR post... could have been Brock's kid killed in a crossfire) Then that's a very legitimate hate that isn't going to go away. I could easily see it being a fight between Spider-man and Hobgoblin or whoever... and first thing Venom does is kill Hobgoblin... AND Spidey is the last target for his/her vengeance.

    There's something about a hatred that actually has some basis in truth that would be LOT more compelling than "wait a minute... maybe Spider-man doesn't destroy innocent lives... Nahhhh GET HIM!!!'

  3. #258
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Another Venom-related What If:

    Venom's original origin story is in full effect: Instead of a man Eddie Brock we get a woman that was pregnant and during one of Spider-Man's fights against a villain she loses her child as a result of it and blames Spider-Man in her heartbroken state, before she proceeds to bond with the Symbiote to create Venom.
    That would have been great to see, and come to think of it, didn't she lose her husband as well in the same accident/crossfire?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  4. #259
    Amazing Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would have been great to see, and come to think of it, didn't she lose her husband as well in the same accident/crossfire?
    I think so. I skipped the general part of HOW she lost them (If I recall correctly. She was on her way to give birth to the hospital alongside her husband, but the cab driver got distracted by Spider-Man fighting a villain and crashed) in case someone could come up with something better in the how. (Because I feel that is still a bit of a weak link. Spider-Man is not directly responsible. But eh, something like that could cause irrational hatred on anyone)
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    So basically the original premise?
    Pretty much, yes.

  5. #260
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That would have been cool. I always liked Venom and Brock... but on a very basic level his origin was dumb. Brock hated Spider-man for proving he sucked at his job.... he didn't MAKE him suck at his job... he just did what he did and the fact that he sucked became obvious. It was a very weak and very irrational hatred to build an epic villain on.

    Now if one of his fights had cost Venom's host to lose a child (pre-born OR post... could have been Brock's kid killed in a crossfire) Then that's a very legitimate hate that isn't going to go away. I could easily see it being a fight between Spider-man and Hobgoblin or whoever... and first thing Venom does is kill Hobgoblin... AND Spidey is the last target for his/her vengeance.

    There's something about a hatred that actually has some basis in truth that would be LOT more compelling than "wait a minute... maybe Spider-man doesn't destroy innocent lives... Nahhhh GET HIM!!!'
    To be fair, pettiness can serve to make a character come off as more evil and diabolical. The fact that he could be st off so easily meant that no one could ever truly trust him to keep his word.

  6. #261
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair, pettiness can serve to make a character come off as more evil and diabolical. The fact that he could be st off so easily meant that no one could ever truly trust him to keep his word.
    That's actually a good point, and in retrospect, why Spider-Man "betraying" Venom after Venom helped him deal with Carnage in Carnage's first full appearance wasn't necessarily the worst thing he could've done, at least at that time. Regardless of Venom's popularity with the fans/readers and his supposed code of protecting innocents, he was more than willing back then to kill whoever got between him and killing Spider-Man, so it made some sense that Spider-Man wouldn't (and perhaps shouldn't) fully trust him. He sure has come a long way since then, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #262
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    559

    Default

    What if John Jameson was not a respected astronaut?

  8. #263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    What if John Jameson was not a respected astronaut?
    Do you mean if he was in a different safer field, or if he was a troubled astronaut (IE- fired for drinking on the job)?

  9. #264
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    793

    Default

    What if Beyonder made it so that Peter got his powers early?

  10. #265
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you mean if he was in a different safer field, or if he was a troubled astronaut (IE- fired for drinking on the job)?
    Both could be interesting, but I was referring to specifically if he were in a different field altogether.

  11. #266

    Default

    A random thing that would be interesting to explore would be how characters could be affected by the things that would change their behavior (concussions, PTSD, drug addiction, etc.) Granted, "What if Robbie Robertson was a pothead?" or "What if Mary Jane had taxoplasmosis?" are not exactly easy sells to an editor.

  12. #267
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A random thing that would be interesting to explore would be how characters could be affected by the things that would change their behavior (concussions, PTSD, drug addiction, etc.) Granted, "What if Robbie Robertson was a pothead?" or "What if Mary Jane had taxoplasmosis?" are not exactly easy sells to an editor.
    I think that’s why I liked Ultimate Spider-Man’s writing. They actually did tackle PTSD in a way that I felt was realistic.

    Otherwise, characters shouldn’t spontaneously develop vices. MJ being a smoker was kinda out of nowhere.

  13. #268

    Default

    On the theme of characters going on different paths, what if Felicia Hardy became a reality TV star, as an upper-class girl with a wealthy infamous father, instead of a cat burglar?

  14. #269
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    559

    Default

    What if Peter Parker became American Spider instead?
    In this universe, Parker doesn’t get bitten until Captain America comes back on the scene and it turns him into the modern day Cap sidekick.

  15. #270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    What if Peter Parker became American Spider instead?
    In this universe, Parker doesn’t get bitten until Captain America comes back on the scene and it turns him into the modern day Cap sidekick.
    It could be really interesting to see Captain America coming back on the scene earlier, and kicking off a different superhero arms race.

    Ooh, maybe there's no Fantastic Four because they never go on the mission because Cap needs Reed's help against Doctor Doom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •