Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Adopted by Norman, and raised alongside Harry, and becomes Norman's "favorite" alienating Harry who becomes the Green Goblin in anger, and kills Norman, which somehow causes Peter to become Spider-man....sorry, got carried away with this

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What if Ben Reilly immediately became the Scarlet Spider?

Rather than laying low and going into hiding all those years, what if Ben just decided right off the bat to keep being a hero in New York, just not as Spider-man?
    The "What If Spider-Man's Clone Lived" issue from the seventies ended on a similar note:

Wouldn't it be fun is Spider-Switching was the status quo, even for a little while?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The "What If Spider-Man's Clone Lived" issue from the seventies ended on a similar note...
    I think Alan2099 meant what if Ben survived and he & Peter were either antagonistic towards each other or mostly ignored the other rather than actively cooperated.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Adopted by Norman, and raised alongside Harry, and becomes Norman's "favorite" alienating Harry who becomes the Green Goblin in anger, and kills Norman, which somehow causes Peter to become Spider-man....sorry, got carried away with this
    It's cool. I could see that. One of Norman's experiments causes Peter to become Spider-Man, and Harry, seeing the results, tries it on himself and turns into the Green Goblin instead. Blaming Peter for sabotaging the experiment, rather than the experiment not being properly keyed to his DNA, he tries to kill him, only for Norman to end up dead instead. This drives Peter's own antagonism toward Harry, and given the lessons Norman likely raised Peter with, he is not nearly as inclined to show mercy and compassion as most versions of him would.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think Alan2099 meant what if Ben survived and he & Peter were either antagonistic towards each other or mostly ignored the other rather than actively cooperated.
    So something closer to how Spider Wars, the 90s TAS finale, depicted their relationship, at least before that reality's Peter descended into homicidal mania upon finding out that Ben could well be the "original" all along and later escalated to attempted annihilation of reality itself. I could see that, or on a lighter note, something more like the current Amazing/Superior situation.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    ...So something closer to how Spider Wars, the 90s TAS finale, depicted their relationship, at least before that reality's Peter descended into homicidal mania upon finding out that Ben could well be the "original" all along and later escalated to attempted annihilation of reality itself. I could see that, or on a lighter note, something more like the current Amazing/Superior situation.
    Right, but yeah much lighter than the ending to TAS lol. Peter and Ben would eventually come to terms with each other after much drama. Their main personal life stumbling block would naturally be Aunt May: Peter wants to protect her fragile health from yet another shock (finding out he is Spidey and now has a clone) whereas Ben, somewhat irrationally, sees Peter keeping him from May as being motivated by "selfishness". Same goes for MJ to a lesser degree, at least initially Ben yarns for her because of the implanted memories.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Right, but yeah much lighter than the ending to TAS lol. Peter and Ben would eventually come to terms with each other after much drama. Their main personal life stumbling block would naturally be Aunt May: Peter wants to protect her fragile health from yet another shock (finding out he is Spidey and now has a clone) whereas Ben, somewhat irrationally, sees Peter keeping him from May as being motivated by "selfishness". Same goes for MJ to a lesser degree.
    Hmm, yeah? That could make sense, and it would be an interesting way to explore Peter's character as reflected by and contrasted with Ben.

Hmm, yeah? That could make sense, and it would be an interesting way to explore Peter's character as reflected by and contrasted with Ben.
    The question is how resentful Ben would become before he decides that an effort to make some sort of peace with his "brother" is best for everyone? Peter has done some really boneheaded things while under extreme amounts of stress over the years (he tried to kill Chameleon, hit a pregnant MJ by mistake and almost helped the Jackal commit genocide for example) initially, this Ben is Peter 2.0. Things could get a bit dark before the clouds of crisis clear.

The question is how resentful Ben would become before he decides that an effort to make some sort of peace with his "brother" is best for everyone? Peter has done some really boneheaded things while under extreme amounts of stress over the years (he tried to kill Chameleon, hit a pregnant MJ by mistake and almost helped the Jackal commit genocide for example) initially, this Ben is Peter 2.0. Things could get a bit dark before the clouds of crisis clear.
    Yeah, I could definitely see that. Ben being Peter 2.0 isn't just a matter of inheriting Peter's positive qualities, but also his negative ones. Whichever comes to the forefront in time could be more a matter of circumstances and conditions, a.k.a. nurture, than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The "What If Spider-Man's Clone Lived" issue from the seventies ended on a similar note:

Wouldn't it be fun is Spider-Switching was the status quo, even for a little while?
    That doesn't feel very 'in character' to me. I think they would both think it was good idea, but I don't see it lasting a whole week. One of the whole driving force behind Peter Parker is that he can't sit by when he could be helping. The burgler can never happen again. I just can't see Peter Standing when his spider-sense goes off because it's 'Ben's day'. Just knowing there is a Spider-man in the city isn't enough. There are HUNDREDS of Super heroes in manhattan. He still feels the need to do his part. If one person got hurt because he was having fun or chilling in front of the TV... it would eat at him for months.

It could be a fun story to read as they come to that conclusion... but that's not a feasible solution for even a short term :P

Yeah, I could definitely see that. Ben being Peter 2.0 isn't just a matter of inheriting Peter's positive qualities, but also his negative ones. Whichever comes to the forefront in time could be more a matter of circumstances and conditions, a.k.a. nurture, than anything else.
    I don't think this version of Ben would intentionally harm anyone (as Peter wouldn't) but out of a combination of desperation and frustration, he might do some stupid things before he realizes the gravity of his mistakes. Peter also would not come out of this smelling like a rose as he basically sees Ben as another enemy he needs to protect others from rather than a confused human being in an impossible situation. I think it could prove a very interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That doesn't feel very 'in character' to me. I think they would both think it was good idea, but I don't see it lasting a whole week. One of the whole driving force behind Peter Parker is that he can't sit by when he could be helping. The burgler can never happen again. I just can't see Peter Standing when his spider-sense goes off because it's 'Ben's day'. Just knowing there is a Spider-man in the city isn't enough. There are HUNDREDS of Super heroes in manhattan. He still feels the need to do his part. If one person got hurt because he was having fun or chilling in front of the TV... it would eat at him for months.

It could be a fun story to read as they come to that conclusion... but that's not a feasible solution for even a short term :P
    i think it's a matter of degrees. peter is responsible but he's not obsessive. he still finds the time to date, or watch a movie. there'd be times when both ben and peter would be compelled to work simultaneously or team up, but knowing someone else is there to shoulder the responsibility would be freeing.

but i agree it wouldn't work quote as neatly as a "your turn to take out the trash this week" schedule
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What if Ben Reilly immediately became the Scarlet Spider?

Rather than laying low and going into hiding all those years, what if Ben just decided right off the bat to keep being a hero in New York, just not as Spider-man?
    That kind of seems like it'd just go the way that 'What If Spider-Man's Clone Lived?' would have ended, where Pete & Ben just decide to take turns being Spidey.

I don't think this version of Ben would intentionally harm anyone (as Peter wouldn't) but out of a combination of desperation and frustration, he might do some stupid things before he realizes the gravity of his mistakes. Peter also would not come out of this smelling like a rose as he basically sees Ben as another enemy he needs to protect others from rather than a confused human being in an impossible situation. I think it could prove a very interesting story.
    I'd agree with you there.

Kind of like Ben and Kaine, What if Gwen and Black Cat were clones of Mary Jane

Astonishing Member

What if Spider-Man was worthy of Thor's hammer?