Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Anyone remember the Superman Family / Batman Family comics?

I enjoyed seeing these characters interact in stories. I wish books like this would come back.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I enjoyed seeing these characters interact in stories. I wish books like this would come back.
    Both started out as books with one new story plus various reprint stories to fill out the issues.

Superman Family started with issue #164, taking over the numbering of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen.

It went to all new material starting with issue #182.

Batman Family started at issue #1, and it also had reprint material included at first.

It went to all new material with issue #11, then it increased to a "Dollar Comic" starting with issue #17. But that didn't last long; #20 was the last issue. After that, it was folded into Detective Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Batman Family started at issue #1, and it also had reprint material included at first.

It went to all new material with issue #11, then it increased to a "Dollar Comic" starting with issue #17. But that didn't last long; #20 was the last issue. After that, it was folded into Detective Comics.

It should be noted that the Batgirl-Robin story by Mike Grell from Batman Family #1 was originally scheduled to be an issue of First Issue Special, but was given its own comic instead with FIS's cancellation.

That's likely why Batman Family #2 was an all-reprint issue and new stories didn't resume until BatFam 3.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I remember and LOVED them especially the stories featuring the Earth 2 Superman, Batgirl, and Huntress.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I remember and LOVED them especially the stories featuring the Earth 2 Superman, Batgirl, and Huntress.
    I'm not sure how you put that . . . from Earth-2/Earth-Two, there was the "Mr. & Mrs. Superman" feature in Superman Family, as well as the Huntress (the daughter of Earth-2/Earth-Two's Batman and Catwoman) feature in the last four issues of Batman Family, but Batgirl was on the main DC Earth (Earth-1/Earth-One back then).

Yes, the Lena Luthor portrayed in Superman Family comics is better than the show, and actually made sense when she went all evil.