Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Default Iceman #4 Discussion, Spoilers

- We open with the preview pages, Bobby has a brief conflict with Madin, leaves the tunnels and prepares for a confrontation with Sinister. Kitty and Storm are preparing a speech for Mutant Pride.
    - At the parade there is a performance by Dazzler, Emma and Christian make a cameo in the crowd.
    - Kitty and Storm take the stage at the same time Bobby enters Sinister’s hideout/lab (a closed theater).
    - In the Morlock tunnels Bishop, figuring Bobby will need assistance, asks Madin to gather the fighters.
    - Kitty and Storm give a damn good speech interspersed with scenes of Bobby fighting off Sinister’s lab creations.
    - Bobby falls into Sinister’s lab, where he is captured. Sinister monologues about his interest in Iceman.
    - Sinister intends to vivisect Bobby, but instead he seemingly disintegrates. TBC.

I mostly enjoyed this issue more than the previous ones. As mentioned, the speech that Kitty and Storm give was a highlight for me, a good contrast to the Red ending. It’s kind of obvious that was an ice-clone at the end, though. Also not sure how I feel about Madin and Bishop sort of always calling out Bobby. I don’t mind characters I like having flaws, but it’s getting irritating at this point, and the ego thing that Bishop keeps bringing up feels off base. I don’t particularly enjoy Stockman’s art.

I can see Bobby trying a little too hard to prove he's no longer the team underachiever being a legit character flaw at this stage in his development, and I guess Bishop might read that as ego, but yeah. It would be nice to have someone sticking up for Bobby a bit too. But I enjoyed the issue and literally laughed out loud at Shade's costume.

Why does Grace not only write a pretty cool Sinister, but does it better than guys like Lemire and Rosenberg who get lead X-Books?

This book is great. Marvel shouldn't sleep on this man. Stockman my homie, too.

Was Emma in her Black King attire? I wonder if she'll be in the next issue as well.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Was Emma in her Black King attire? I wonder if she'll be in the next issue as well.
    Nope, "casual" clothes (a big white fur coat)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Why does Grace not only write a pretty cool Sinister, but does it better than guys like Lemire and Rosenberg who get lead X-Books?

This book is great. Marvel shouldn't sleep on this man. Stockman my homie, too.
    where did Rosenberg do Sinister?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    where did Rosenberg do Sinister?
    Secret Warriors. He was really unmemorable.

This creative team would be awesome on a team book. This was my favourite issue so far.

BANNED

I am sorry to say that the second miniseries isn't as interesting and meaningful than the first miniseries.

There's none of the classic gay stories found in the first miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    I am sorry to say that the second miniseries isn't as interesting and meaningful than the first miniseries.

I'm sorry if I sound off base here but is that honestly a problem? If you're writing an LGBT character, that should only be a facet of the character, not the whole thing. Not every story told with an LGBT character should be about shouting to the mountaintops that said character is LGBT which really was a problem with the previous book. Sometimes you just wanna tell a superhero story with a character who happens to be LGBT.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

Nonsense. Even if we pretend that "classic gay stories" aren't just a collection of tropes, the mini has depicted Bobby casually dating, helped another gay man heal from conversion therapy, dealt with themes of homonormativity (using the mutant metaphor), and the last issue had (Mutant) Pride that featured a Mutant drag queen named Shade, Not to mention the fabulousness of Mr. Sinister. This mini has gayness in its DNA and I personally love it.

BANNED

That obviously wasn't Bobby in the tube or there fighting because he didn't say a word throughout it all. I'm betting it was just a construct of himself that got caught and that was his plan to find out why Sinister wanted him. He didn't even use any of his iceman powers throughout the whole fight so definitely just a construct he was controlling

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    ... I mostly enjoyed this issue more than the previous ones. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    ... This was my favourite issue so far.
    Same here, as mentioned: Bishop, Kitty & Storm, Dazz, the Morlocks, Sinister, and of course, Bobby himself, all contributed to that, rather successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    ... Sometimes you just wanna tell a superhero story with a character who happens to be LGBT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    ... This mini has gayness in its DNA and I personally love it.
    I think this issue proved these 2 things don't have to be mutually eXclusive of each other.

According to Sina Grace, Shade will be showing up in issue 5 and in Winter's End