View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Grappler?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lascivious

0 0%
  • Letha

0 0%
  • Poundcakes

4 30.77%
  • Screaming Mimi/Songbird

8 61.54%
  • Auntie Freeze

0 0%
  • Battleaxe

0 0%
  • Gladiatrix

1 7.69%
  • Vavavoom

0 0%
  • Butterball

0 0%
  • Magilla

0 0%
  • Sushi

0 0%
  • Cowgirl

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling: Grapplers Appreciation!

Any fans of these female baddies out there?

They were most recently in the Unstoppable Wasp (well, Letha and Poundcakes at least). But they have quite the comic book history. And of course there's Screaming Mimi, who became the decently popular superheroine Songbird.

Who's your favorite Grappler?

What are your favorite stories featuring the Grapplers?

I personally would love to see the ladies go up against the Wrecking Crew. I wasn't a fan of the Grapplers "turning over a new leaf" in the Wasp. It felt very out-of-character, especially for Letha who is one of the more murderous Grapplers. Letha and Lascivious are also in a relationship, so they're possibly the first Marvel lesbian baddie couple?

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I enjoy wrestling so the Grapplers have always filled my want for super wrestlers. I try to get issues where they star or cameo but those are sadly few and far between.

I always like a good redemption for low tier villains but I would also would have liked to see Letha and Poundcakes as baddies for a bit longer.
    As I voted, Poundcakes is my favorite as she was the original heavy/brick for the team. Letha and Lascivious are my favorite tag team of the group as they seem to be together longer from the Punisher issues.

Maybe they could learn from Mel's example? It's surprising that she never brought any of her old teammates into the Thunderbolts.

Invincible Member

I dug their appearance in old school Marvel Two In One.

Last edited by ed2962; 08-31-2017 at 06:21 PM.

I liked a handful of them (not a big fan of the one w/ the hairy arms - she was gross). I'm glad that Janet was able to give them work. it's always kind of bothered me that Screaming Mimi was a member. did this wrestling federation have weight classes? it seems ridiculously lopsided for someone with Mel's build to have to fight someone like Poundcakes. I guess I kind of get if; if she's there mostly to run around the outside of the ring making noise.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-31-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I liked a handful of them (not a big fan of the one w/ the hairy arms - she was gross). I'm glad that Janet was able to give them work. it's always kind of bothered me that Screaming Mimi was a member. did this wrestling federation have weight classes? it seems ridiculously lopsided for someone with Mel's build to have to fight someone like Poundcakes. I guess I kind of get if; if she's there mostly to run around the outside of the ring making noise.
    I thought because of their powers anyone could fight anyone else in the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation but after a google search the wiki says the wrestlers were broken up into weight classes of how many tons they could lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    I thought because of their powers anyone could fight anyone else in the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation but after a google search the wiki says the wrestlers were broken up into weight classes of how many tons they could lift.
    that's helpful. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Don't forget that Screaming Mimi had been physically enhanced by the Power Broker just like Poundcakes and the others. She had superhuman strength, she just barely ever used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Don't forget that Screaming Mimi had been physically enhanced by the Power Broker just like Poundcakes and the others. She had superhuman strength, she just barely ever used it.
    actually, I did a small amount of research/backissue shopping before posting. I wasn't able to find any evidence of her strength being augmented. a lot is said of them upgrading her vocal cords and her, eventually, burning them out. but not one word about her having enhanced strength; not as Mimi or Songbird. Titania taught her some wrestling moves. but that about it. can you point me to the right material?

for what it's worth, the marvel wiki specifically lists her as the only Grappler to not receive strength enhancement

Screaming Mimi[edit]

Screaming Mimi (Mimi Schwartz/Melissa Gold) met Poundcakes in prison and soon after, was invited to join the Grapplers. Roxxon operated on Screaming Mimi's vocal cords, giving her the ability to drive a person to insanity with her screams. The only Grappler who is not capable of superhuman strength, Screaming Mimi proved useful on several missions. Soon after Titania and Letha were killed, Screaming Mimi joined the Masters of Evil and eventually turned over a new leaf, calling herself Songbird and joining the Thunderbolts.

I'm a bit disappointed that the new girl didn't continue on as the new Mimi. there should be one. there are several Beetles and a couple Goliaths.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.

I only know the four originals from their initial appearance in Marvel Two-in-One.

From your poll, it seems clear that LOT more of them have since been introduced. Which comics can I look for to read more Grapplers stories? I assume probably one run or another on Thunderbolts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

I personally would love to see the ladies go up against the Wrecking Crew.
    If its in the ring maybe Sandman can be the referee since he's already wearing stripes and been both hero and villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    I only know the four originals from their initial appearance in Marvel Two-in-One.

From your poll, it seems clear that LOT more of them have since been introduced. Which comics can I look for to read more Grapplers stories? I assume probably one run or another on Thunderbolts?
    I think they have appeared in Marvel-Two-In One besides their intro #96, Thing #33 I think this where the rest of were introduced, Dazzler #13, Songbird/Screaming Mini was in Thunderbolts, Letha and formerly Titania were in some Punisher books in the 2009 run, most recently Unstoppable Wasp had Letha and Poundcakes. I'm sure others will fill in some of the blanks I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe they could learn from Mel's example? It's surprising that she never brought any of her old teammates into the Thunderbolts.
    I think you need to pick up the latest issue of the Wasp re Letha & Poundcakes, they spoke about trying to turn a new leaf & being misunderstood, you'll be pleasantly surprised , (Poundcakes can be good ish see the big Thunderbolts Fear Itself issue for that story)
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Ultimate Member

Titania has serious competition with that other Titania, that Doom empowered on the Battleworld and who has gone on to be the better half of the 'Absorbing Man & Titania' relationship.

Very cool that Poundcakes, who is the least traditionally pretty / 'girly' of the Grapplers (and therefore the least likely for *some* artists/creators to consider for a Face Turn, since everyone since Frank Castle to Marrow seems to have to be prettied up before they transition out of villainy), has reappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Very cool that Poundcakes, who is the least traditionally pretty / 'girly' of the Grapplers (and therefore the least likely for *some* artists/creators to consider for a Face Turn, since everyone since Frank Castle to Marrow seems to have to be prettied up before they transition out of villainy), has reappeared!
    really? I've always thought that Poundcakes, while thick, was very pretty; in the face. Gladiatrix on the other hand...

a revamp of the Femizons is long overdue. Thundra's returned to Weirdworld. Nightshade's semi-reformed. but Superia is somewhere out there. several new brainy villainesses have surfaced (June Covington, Monica Rappaccini, etc). and now they have Zarda; who is quite resourceful/ambitious. she might welcome the addition of the Grapplers.

Sharon Ventura