Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

All-Star Superman, it's the definitive Superman story. sue me if you disagree, because I'm never changing my mind.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Superman Chronicles v. 1. The very first Superman stories have some of the best energy for the character I've ever seen -- everything was so new and undefined for him. There was a real "anything goes" vibe to these stories I've never seen anyone match since then.

The only books I would want in this scenario? Either they help me survive being on a deserted island. Or they help me escape the island.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Going to go with that upcoming World Against Superman collection of Morrison’s New 52 Superman run.

I envision my self one day on a cruise and suddenly the ship loses power and drifts onto a small island and there
    we find a city of people who were stranded through out time and each is asking "Did you remember to pack reading material"?
    and we say "No" and they reply " neither did we"

For the record........... All Star Superman

BANNED

Red Son

'cause it's amazing. I even told about it to a friend who is not that much into comics and she said ''oh that's good, alot better than usual Superman'' All i can say is EXACTLY !!!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

My favorite is probably Superman in the 70's but I would be happy with the 60's and 80's version as well.

A lot of good stuff from the seventies that need to be collected
    form Superman
    to Action Comics
    To Worlds Finest
    To Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson
    to Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane

The sixties were good, but also campy
    and the eighties got into those long stories
    that crossed over into other books,
    also Jimmy and Lois did not get to shine as much
    as they did (especially in the early seventies)

Oh........ and again D C ........John Byrne Superman Omnibus

All-Star Superman for me, without question.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    A lot of good stuff from the seventies that need to be collected
    form Superman
    to Action Comics
    To Worlds Finest
    To Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson
    to Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane

The sixties were good, but also campy
    and the eighties got into those long stories
    that crossed over into other books,
    also Jimmy and Lois did not get to shine as much
    as they did (especially in the early seventies)

Oh........ and again D C ........John Byrne Superman Omnibus
    They should really reprint that era as two oversized collections. At the very least, it's odd that a famous story like Man of Steel can't be found easily these days.

Speaking of the seventies I think the one trade I would want to read without a doubt indefinitely would be a collection from Superman #292-302. That would be a softcover I'd give anyone but DC hasn't been compelled to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    They should really reprint that era as two oversized collections. At the very least, it's odd that a famous story like Man of Steel can't be found easily these days.

Speaking of the seventies I think the one trade I would want to read without a doubt indefinitely would be a collection from Superman #292-302. That would be a softcover I'd give anyone but DC hasn't been compelled to do it.
    Superman comics from 290 to 320 are my favorite chunk of Superman comics. It blended all the big silly stuff of Superman's myth with a "modern" sensibility. I think this also has "Who took the Super out of Superman?" This run of comics handles Clark without Super powers way better than Superman 2. Well, at least it's the other end of the spectrum. You got to love Clark Kent though, no matter what he is ready to fight in public.

Retired

The last Martin Pasko issue was SUPERMAN 335 so that's where my favourite chunk of Superman ends. Essentially from issue 233 to 335, I was having a good time--1971 to 1979. Not that I didn't enjoy any comics after that, but they just don't stand out in my memory as much.

I was just looking at the old covers on Cover Browser, 233 is definitely a signal that the Silver Age was over. I definitely love many of the comics from that era. Highlights for me are 248-250. The Galactic Golem and Terra Man are two of my favorite rogues. I think Superman in the 70s is a long overdue Omnibus. 233 is definitely the place to start.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

The original Greatest Superman Stories collection. It had great stories from the Gold, Silver, and Bronze age. It includes two of the best imaginary stories, as well as Black Lotus story. I think it even had an issue or two from the Byrne era, which I think was ongoing at the time the trade paperback came out.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Superman comics from 290 to 320 are my favorite chunk of Superman comics. It blended all the big silly stuff of Superman's myth with a "modern" sensibility. I think this also has "Who took the Super out of Superman?" This run of comics handles Clark without Super powers way better than Superman 2. Well, at least it's the other end of the spectrum. You got to love Clark Kent though, no matter what he is ready to fight in public.

I think for collecting the seventies I wouldn't go any later than #255 or stop before 309. At least knock them out in a showcase. To me though 292 to 302 is the tightest string of great issues. If DC was willing to reprint those stories in other collections, they should try them all together imo.