4 17.39%
  • D

8 34.78%
  • F

6 26.09%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Rate superman as mentor

So yeah as the title suggest rate superman as mentor for the legacy characters and children. Take the time, (if you have) to post what makes superman a good mentor or a bad one if you think he is.
    my rating is C
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-19-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Superman is the worst mentor ever (who is still an otherwise good person).

And it is beyond frustrating why DC let THIS, of all possible other options, be his defining consistent character flaw.

Seriously, WHEN has DC shown Supes to be a good mentor (note: mentor =/= parent ... Clark was a great parent to Jon up until Bendis happened)?

He never trusted Jimmy Olsen with his Secret.

He epicly failed Lar Gand in pre-Crisis times.

He dumped Kara Zor-El off at the Danvers instead of raising her himself.

He has had almost zero interaction with Karen Starr since post-Crisis.

He lost Matrix.

He couldn't rehabilitate Superboy Prime.

He forgot about Lor-Zod.

He taught Conner nothing.

He doesn't exactly welcome Cir-El.

And worst of all, he gave the biological son Jon that he actually raised for 10 years to his crazy suddenly- alive- for- no- good- reason biological dad Jor-El and lost out of years of raising him.

John Henry Irons isn't quite as derivative as the others (nor was he trained by Kal), so he alone avoids this abandonment.

Not sure at all about Keenan Kong or Val-Zod.

So yeah, in this one and only category, there is only one possible grade for the Big Guy:

F you, Clark! You have failed this family!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-19-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Somewhere between a B and C. For all his natural abilities either as a leader or mentor in his field, it's not something that really interests him. You just can't be the best or your best without the desire.

In group settings he frequently leads only by example, like with the Legion in some cases. With younger heroes he often subcontracts to his parents. The major exception was Kara, whom he trained in a very particular way to become her own successful hero very quickly. He's never been reluctant to take his cousin under his wing, and to a pretty good measure that extended to Team Superman with Alpha Centurion, Matrix, John Henry, and Kon El. Jon is a new exception and has been doing well.

If anyone reads One Piece then this is a very easy point to get: his style of being the greatest superhero is being his own hero. Although he has a responsibility to the future and those around him, his approach is mostly very hands off. This was very big in modern times with so many young heroes, like with Captain Marvel, the Supermen of America, Kenan, and reboot Legion to name some.

Interestingly he had a stint as DP editor that was exactly the same. He was perfectly good but just not dedicated.

Astonishing Member

Clark learned most of what he knows on the job, imo it makes sense that he thinks it's better to figure things out on your own than having someone whisper in your ear. At the hip mentoring is more a Batman thing imo.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I'll be kind and rate him as C. Given his track record (in various continuities) he isn't a very good mentor, regrettably.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Master Hero Vladimir

I'll give him a B. He can be a good mentor when he wants to be (just look at Jon), but I don't see Superman as a mentor the same way I see Batman.

Under the Rebirth team, I would have given him at least a B. But after this Jor-El fiasco with Jon.... well
    3A72E566-697D-4D7C-ABBB-626A642ABABE.jpg
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 12-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Clark learned most of what he knows on the job, imo it makes sense that he thinks it's better to figure things out on your own than having someone whisper in your ear. At the hip mentoring is more a Batman thing imo.
    Pretty much this.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D. Unlike Batman, he seems uninterested in passing down his skills to the next generation, and comes across as too hands off or permissive, though he was at least trying with Jon (well, before Jor-El showed up).

He really does need to improve, since now 3-4 super-powered kids might be active soon (Conner, Kara, Jon and possibly Lor).

It's ironic that Superman, who has much better social skills than Batman, has far weaker relationships with all the heroes he mentors.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well, he can't really pass down what he has effectively. It's a drawback. Like how Bruce can't intervene quick enough to say, immediately stop a villain from literally tearing apart one of his proteges. Superman has the luxury of operating from a distance and never has to squat overhead and get angry about operating in his city without his permission or anything. So you have the likes of Sinbad and Thorn getting their own way and having him as a resource whenever they shout for him.

I think its less that Superman needs to improve his mentoring skills rather he shouldn't be put into positions to have to mentor. I have no interest in seeing Superman mentoring other generations. I care about watching him do his thing.

There was a great quote from Christopher Reeve once when asked what he thought Superman was to the world. His answer was "a friend". That's how I view Superman too. The world's friend. Not the world's dad, not the world's active teacher, and not succeeding generations' mentor. What he happens to teach he does by his example.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-19-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, I went D.

I think he makes a good role model... I think he makes a good leader... but He's not really the type that is there to help with the day to day problems or personal crisis's that come up. It's not really his 'thing'. He's usually juggling 4 books, a personal life, a day job and an exploding volcano... he's not really in the place to teach others how to be better heroes.

Yeah, only way Superman would ever make a good teacher would be if he retired, and specifically made the effort to become that and make it his full-time gig. Kinda like All-Might. But Superman's never going to retire outside of Elseworlds'.

Had to give Clark a "D" because he does have a few wins scattered among the many failings so it's not a full fledged "F." But it's pretty close.

Beyond that, Clark seems to struggle with blood relations, be it clones or cousins or whatever. If you've got Kryptonian blood, especially if it's the blood of El, then Clark's gonna be super awkward about things and try real hard to forget you're there.

The only real exception has been Jon. Tomasi gave the Kents a purely Rockwellian life that flies in the face of Clark's historic approach to family. Granted, Clark did have a full ten years to adjust that we never saw, but his treatment of Kenan, Lana-Superwoman, etc., show that he hasn't changed his ways, he's just managed to make Jon an exception to the rule.

Hell, Clark seems closer to, and spends more time with Nightwing than he does Power Girl, Kenan, John Henry, or Conner, and barely spends more time with Kara. Clark at least guest spots in Dick's book about every year or two and when he does they have an actual conversation. Half the time when Clark sees his own "family" it's either a team up situation (like the JSA/JLA team ups) or he's shown up to give the kids a hard time and explain what they're doing/did wrong.

Honestly I wish Tomasi had included this in his run. Clark as a happy family man......that's not him. Many, many stories have told us its not him. Tomasi either went against the grain or didn't realize there was a grain there in the first place, but as much as I love Jon and the Tomasi run (at least the first chunk) it never felt authentic to me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Had to give Clark a "D" because he does have a few wins scattered among the many failings so it's not a full fledged "F." But it's pretty close.

Beyond that, Clark seems to struggle with blood relations, be it clones or cousins or whatever. If you've got Kryptonian blood, especially if it's the blood of El, then Clark's gonna be super awkward about things and try real hard to forget you're there.

The only real exception has been Jon. Tomasi gave the Kents a purely Rockwellian life that flies in the face of Clark's historic approach to family. Granted, Clark did have a full ten years to adjust that we never saw, but his treatment of Kenan, Lana-Superwoman, etc., show that he hasn't changed his ways, he's just managed to make Jon an exception to the rule.

Hell, Clark seems closer to, and spends more time with Nightwing than he does Power Girl, Kenan, John Henry, or Conner, and barely spends more time with Kara. Clark at least guest spots in Dick's book about every year or two and when he does they have an actual conversation. Half the time when Clark sees his own "family" it's either a team up situation (like the JSA/JLA team ups) or he's shown up to give the kids a hard time and explain what they're doing/did wrong.

Honestly I wish Tomasi had included this in his run. Clark as a happy family man......that's not him. Many, many stories have told us its not him. Tomasi either went against the grain or didn't realize there was a grain there in the first place, but as much as I love Jon and the Tomasi run (at least the first chunk) it never felt authentic to me.
    Interesting concept.

I think it's worth questioning if he's even their mentors in the first place. Batman recruits Robins... trains them... lets them move in... Superman really doesn't DO any of that. These other heroes are just 'there'. Does he really have any obligation at all to Power Girl? The cousin of your doppleganger from a different universe?? Steel was a grown man who was inspired by Superman, but wears armor... what does he have in common with Superman? Clark can't pass on his tactics and train his powers for Steel? He's just kind of 'there'... Kind of the same with Connor. Young Justice made Clark seem like a Jerk, but how DO you connect with your illegally grown clone? His very existence is a reminder and a violation of your DNA...

No real excuse for Kara. As a blood relative who can teach him first hand stories about his parents and Krypton... Who has the same powers without the experience... Clark SHOULD be a better mentor to her. However the others? They're kind of add ons thrown at him. They aren't really HIS to mentor...