Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Default CATWOMAN #6: A Sleek, Sensuous, Hard-hitting Finale to 'Copycats' Arch

First and foremost, the art is even better than before. Joelle Jones has made a few tweaks to Catwoman's new costume, and she is simply gorgeous. Her body language is highly reflective of Julie Newmar and Michelle Pfieffer. It's easy to see Catwoman moving and posing with fluid, sensuous grace. It is much appreciated. However, it isn't just Catwoman that looks incredible in this book. Everything Jones draws & inks in this book is amazing, from the disgusting Mrs. Creel, to the wheelchair a certain special someone is seated in.
    What I'm particularly happy about is the writing. The pace has finally picked up speed and there is much more dialogue, fighting, and dramatic events happening in this issue. The fight scenes are well choreographed and hard-hitting. No doubt it helps Joelle Jones having a partner who is experienced in martial arts. She's admitted he gives her input in terms of bringing realism to her fight scenes.
    Finally, in this issue we see a strong, triumphant Catwoman but not without some unfortnate tragedy. There is plenty of drama to go around and Jones packs it in well, and sets the stage for future stories to come. This series is steadily building momentum, and each issue is better than the previous one. Congratulations Joelle Jones and DC Comics on a great finale to 'Catwoman's first arch!

Extraordinary Member

So can somebody explain to me what the Creels wanted from Selina and Maggie, and what the point of these Copycats was?
    The whole plot of this arc doesn't make any sense to me.

Always Rakzo

This pretty much followed Jones' formula. Short but solid. There are good moments and appropriate resolutions but at the same time, a lot of the time is spent in fight scenes which is logical since Jones is an artist and she does know how to depict a well-choreographed fight.

Art is amazing obviously. Hope the next arc offers more content though.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    So can somebody explain to me what the Creels wanted from Selina and Maggie, and what the point of these Copycats was?
    The whole plot of this arc doesn't make any sense to me.
    The Creels wanted Catwoman to acknowledge their sovereignty in Villa Hermosa and follow suit. They used the copycats to frame her as a way to get her attention and demonstrate their power. Once they learned Maggie is Selina's sister, they used her as another way to gain leverage over Selina.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jones and Allred are a great fit for each other. I feel like the art has improved every issue...and this issue was beautiful. Everything was so alive on the page. So much energy.

Love this series. I think these first 6 issues were first and foremost Jones setting up all the chess pieces. Considering she is only relying on two existing characters Selina and Maggie (who hasn't been around too much considering how deep their relationship is), it's pretty amazing that Jones has introduced so many new allies, villains, etc who feel so developed and so interesting in such a short span of issues. This is a big testament to her art which relies so much on the subtleties of expression and less on dialogue-- which is why I love this book so much.

I'm obsessed with Raina and can't wait for more from her... especially now that she has such a deep vendetta. I recently reread the series from the start and didn't fully appreciate how funny Raina is! She is one cold, sarcastic MF! Her background gave me some Sharp Objects vibes... so ruthless!

I'm waiting for the tpb collection (due out April 10th).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman1117 View Post
    First and foremost, the art is even better than before. Joelle Jones has made a few tweaks to Catwoman's new costume, and she is simply gorgeous. Her body language is highly reflective of Julie Newmar and Michelle Pfieffer. It's easy to see Catwoman moving and posing with fluid, sensuous grace. It is much appreciated. However, it isn't just Catwoman that looks incredible in this book. Everything Jones draws & inks in this book is amazing, from the disgusting Mrs. Creel, to the wheelchair a certain special someone is seated in.
    What I'm particularly happy about is the writing. The pace has finally picked up speed and there is much more dialogue, fighting, and dramatic events happening in this issue. The fight scenes are well choreographed and hard-hitting. No doubt it helps Joelle Jones having a partner who is experienced in martial arts. She's admitted he gives her input in terms of bringing realism to her fight scenes.
    Finally, in this issue we see a strong, triumphant Catwoman but not without some unfortnate tragedy. There is plenty of drama to go around and Jones packs it in well, and sets the stage for future stories to come. This series is steadily building momentum, and each issue is better than the previous one. Congratulations Joelle Jones and DC Comics on a great finale to 'Catwoman's first arch!
    Julie Newmar WAS Catwoman. She was statuesque.