Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    "your" possessive

"you're" contraction of 'you are'
    What are you referring to?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Communication starts with the basics.

also, a little civility would be appreciated.
    What have I always believed?
    That, on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, in the end, more or less, turn out all right.

It's kinda ridiculous but sometimes I feel like there should be "bouncers" that patrol conventions. Someone that is generally within sight who can be a deterrent and an authority figure to report harassment to. Since some don't want to control themselves then they need to be constantly made aware of the consequences for misbehavior.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 07-28-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    It's kinda ridiculous but sometimes I feel like there should be "bouncers" that patrol conventions. Someone that is generally within sight who can be a deterrent and an authority figure to report harassment too.
    No, its not ridiculous. It's the best option available. Obviously, it wont't drastically solve the problem, but any reduction in cases is a step in the right direction.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

It's kinda ridiculous but sometimes I feel like there should be "bouncers" that patrol conventions. Someone that is generally within sight who can be a deterrent and an authority figure to report harassment too.
    I can't comment of SDCC since I've never been, but every convention I've attended had security personnel who are essentially acting as bouncers. So if they are not doing that it's a good idea, I'm guessing since I've seen it before.

BANNED

It's kinda ridiculous but sometimes I feel like there should be "bouncers" that patrol conventions. Someone that is generally within sight who can be a deterrent and an authority figure to report harassment too. Since some don't want to control themselves then they need to be constantly made aware of the consequences for misbehavior.
    Actually every public gathering should have one.

The only double-edged sword with bouncers is they can be unlicensed. Sometimes they end up harassing people themselves since many don't necessarily report to higher authorities. So they'd have to get a reputable security company.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saiths View Post
    wait, this is perfect.

why didn't you take better preventive measures? you probably got pickpocketed because of what you were wearing like don't you realize how naive you are? you can't really blame them because you were probably asking for it.
    Technically speaking, if you just put your wallet in your back pocket, you make yourself an easy mark. Adding a layer or two of security (i.e. money belts, buckled and/or zipped pockets, deep pockets, hidden pockets, using muggers wallets, etc.) combined with not standing out in a crowd, not fiddling with your wallet while it is in you pocket, avoiding crowded areas, etc. will greatly deters pick pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    This makes no sense. If it didn't make them feel any safer then why bother with it at all? Why would you ask anyone to accompany you alone and unsupervised if you really thought they were just going to randomly attack you? If I thought someone was a thief I wouldn't give them my wallet.
    "Hey klepto, can you hold my wallet? I don't want anyone stealing it."

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Technically speaking, if you just put your wallet in your back pocket, you make yourself an easy mark. Adding a layer or two of security (i.e. money belts, buckled and/or zipped pockets, deep pockets, hidden pockets, using muggers wallets, etc.) combined with not standing out in a crowd, not fiddling with your wallet while it is in you pocket, avoiding crowded areas, etc. will greatly deters pick pockets.
    There's no doubt, without getting complicated, I played a hand in it. It was in and out of my pocket like every few yard I'm sure. It doesn't justify what he did, but that's part of the point too. You learn and move on, and try not to let it happen again by taking extra precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    Oh, I agree with this completely. The ones I talked to it was predatory, and often coupled with a slight twinge of revenge or retribution or punishment. Often to people they were not sexually attracted to, like their own children.
    I don't know if I want to hear more or if I want to stop thinking about it right now and never do so again...

Quote Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
    I don't know if I want to hear more or if I want to stop thinking about it right now and never do so again...
    Oh, I mean I don't remember much more than that. We never got that deep into their case files. It was just for a "Law, Justice and State" class, which was part of the Pre-Law program. We interviewed them, but it was only a one day visit, just to see what that was like. Not like a sit down and ask deep questions. Just an overview of some clients you might get should you decide to become a lawyer.

i know i can't really educate you but since everyone thinks i'm being "ruled by my own paranoias" but you're right,

i'm

just

being

paranoid.

What could have turned into an informative thread about the issue that could have helped raised awareness just spiraled into personal attacks and victim-blaming.

This thread is closed.