Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Who should we really thank for Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel rise to fame ?

After reading this... https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-ke...o-in-hollywood

It makes me wonder Who should truly thankful for Carol Danvers rise of Fandom and towards the current movies ?

As fans of Carol Danvers: Where do you think the Thanks truly lie ?
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 12-20-2018 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Edit with new article

I can't see the post on my phone, but the thanks clearly goes to Thomas and Gene for creating her, Busiek for bringing her back into the Avengers line, Bendis for keeping her on when that line became hot and letting her solo have legs, and then KSD/McKelvie/Wacker/Amanat/Quesada for the Cap reboot. Along with every other writer and artist who have told stories about her.

And most importantly, the fans and readers who have supported her over the years and allowed for her rise to flagship status.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The link doesn't work for me.

But I'd like to thank Brian Reed.

Busiek, Bendis, Reed, and DeConnick all played their part. And of course, the Carol Corps!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel is making one of most consistent and steady pushes of character I have seen in long time maybe ever. No one person or thing is the key to her success. The corporate machine is pushing her how high she reaches depends on the fans. If I was directly trying to answer question it would be when did marvel decide she worthy of a push. I guess that when decide to make her Captain Marvel so then Kelly Sue DeConnick gets lionshare of credit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I can't see the post on my phone, but the thanks clearly goes to Thomas and Gene for creating her, Busiek for bringing her back into the Avengers line, Bendis for keeping her on when that line became hot and letting her solo have legs, and then KSD/McKelvie/Wacker/Amanat/Quesada for the Cap reboot. Along with every other writer and artist who have told stories about her.

And most importantly, the fans and readers who have supported her over the years and allowed for her rise to flagship status.
    No thanks for Brian Reed and his Ms. Marvel run ?

Or how about Chris Claremont of X-men fame, who gave Carol her binary powers ?
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 12-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Marvel is making one of most consistent and steady pushes of character I have seen in long time maybe ever. No one person or thing is the key to her success. The corporate machine is pushing her how high she reaches depends on the fans. If I was directly trying to answer question it would be when did marvel decide she worthy of a push. I guess that when decide to make her Captain Marvel so then Kelly Sue DeConnick gets lionshare of credit.
    What about Brian Reed and his work on Carol Danvers that predates Kelly Sue’s work ? Shouldn’t that matter too ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Busiek, Bendis, Reed, and DeConnick all played their part. And of course, the Carol Corps!

No mention of X-men writer Chris Claremont, who gave Carol Danvers her Binary Powers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    No mention of X-men writer Chris Claremont, who gave Carol Danvers her Binary Powers ?
    I think some thanks should also be given to Claremont for keeping her around when she could've been shuffled off to limbo.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

How about some thanks for Gerry Conway who created Ms. Marvel?

He took Carol Danvers who was a forgotten stock Marvel girlfriend like Jane Foster or Karen Page and made her Marvel's Supergirl.

(Now, she's Marvel's Wonder Woman (or so they keep trying to convince us))!

Invincible Member

Carol has an enthusiastic fan base, but she's still not all that popular. Like Connick herself said, Marvel was not doing a ton promotion during her run. She was the one hustling out there getting support for the book on social media. Marvel was able to sell a movie pitch and use the character in other media and thus decided to keep the book in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think some thanks should also be given to Claremont for keeping her around when she could've been shuffled off to limbo.
    Yes, but Carol was shuffled off to limbo between 1983 and the end of 1997. The rest of the '80's all you saw of her were spotty appearances when you saw the Star gammers. In the '90s, all I can recall of seeing Carol was Operation Galactic Storm and it's the aftermath, the Starblast mini, and X-Men Unlimited #13. Kurt Busiek is the one who really brought her out of this semi-exile state.

FOX. If FOX never purchased the rights to make X-Men movies the Avengers, much less Carol Danvers, wouldn't have one. Marvel only pushed the Avengers because it's all they had left.

Jamie Mckelvie.

A lot went into Carol's rise to prominence. I don't think it had everything to do with Kelly Sue DeConnick's run, although that was a turning point. I think she just came along at the right time to elevate her status. Carol has always been one of those characters who has had the potential to be something greater, but never managed to push through. I think there was a growing demand for female superheroes. I still remember that one brief period at Marvel where they only had one title featuring a female hero, which was Black Widow. I think that might have been the turning point, so to speak. I think that's when Marvel got serious about realizing the potential of its female characters and Carol got the best of it. She came along at the right time and struck all the right chords. I think she has done plenty to earn her spot as one of Marvel's top female heroes and I hope she holds that title for years to come.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.