Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Brian Reed did this great job on Carol, giving us all these clues of her enhanced parentage before she became a hero.
    He did an okay job. Supporting cast was pretty dismal. The book never really came into its own under his authorship.

BANNED

Word has it that it was Brian Reed that thought of Carol becoming Captain Marvel behind the scenes. Any truth to this ?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Anyone who has watched both trailers cannot possibly have had the same reaction to CM as they had to WW. I mean -- WW trailer was magical. CM is solid, but aside from it featuring a female protagonist -- it's pretty standard fare. CM is going to come across more as a generic, tough super-hero -- whereas Wonder Woman (the character) was really something special.

I feel CM has enough going for it that it will be successful -- as expected.
    There is no question it will succeed financially, no Marvel movie has truly failed in that aspect, not even Thor Dark World or IM3, its the story that is at question and the lead actress portrayal that must be considered. But after thinking it over they really can't do her character more harm than the comics did during each CW...at least i think they won't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Word has it that it was Brian Reed that thought of Carol becoming Captain Marvel behind the scenes. Any truth to this ?
    It was Brian Bendis who had that idea, which is why it's teased in "House of M." They couldn't get permission from management to do this so she stuck with the old "Ms. Marvel" name (nobody seemed to like Warbird, alas).
    Last edited by gurkle; 12-21-2018 at 10:21 PM.

BANNED

Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What about Brian Reed and his work on Carol Danvers that predates Kelly Sue’s work ? Shouldn’t that matter too ?
    Brain Reed like Christopher Priest on Black Panther-proved Carol could hold a book beyond 6 issues. Is his run the longest of all her runs??

Kelly Sue like Reginald Hudlin on Panther-got her book as trades on shelves.

She did one better than Hudlin-she got her run to DOMINATE digital. I have NEVER seen this volume-Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More below top 10 in trades or digital on Amazon.

Only two other females have done that Ms Marvel (Khan) & Jane Foster (Thor).

She gets the credit for keeping Carol's name out there beyond comic book stores.

Mighty Member

I'd argue having a very well-received portrayal by Vanessa Marshall in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes gave her some popularity. Compare that to her derided portrayal in Avengers Assemble

Extraordinary Member

Brian Reed set up he foundations, and Kelly Sue DeConnick expanded the character. Funnily enough, I don't like KSD's Carol, but she pushed her.