Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I suspect the showrunners would disagree, but I won't dispute the point.
    Agreed.

That said, the foundation that they built the show on seems like it leaves them the out should they reconsider at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Sign me up to the prequel to a HP's Hogwarts House founders
    Wait for it...

They want to make a Batman and Superman show but they can't use the characters fully because of movie universe has them. So the "Prequel show" is way to give you everything you like about those characters except the character you really want to see. For me that is really pointless I really only care about the main characters so it is great big tease for me. I watch Gotham Season 1 and by season 2 I was done because it was not for me. Shows I want start with Smallville Season 10 or Gotham Season 5.

Krypton has been surprisingly the exception it isn't really "hey I am trying to be a superman show without Superman" to me feels like a show set in the universe of character I know and nicely set ups future things for that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They want to make a Batman and Superman show but they can't use the characters fully because of movie universe has them. So the "Prequel show" is way to give you everything you like about those characters except the character you really want to see. For me that is really pointless I really only care about the main characters so it is great big tease for me. I watch Gotham Season 1 and by season 2 I was done because it was not for me. Shows I want start with Smallville Season 10 or Gotham Season 5.

Krypton has been surprisingly the exception it isn't really "hey I am trying to be a superman show without Superman" to me feels like a show set in the universe of character I know and nicely set ups future things for that character.
    I would like to see a Young Bruce Wayne series, as to his journey to becoming Batman, or the Dark Knight's early days.

As long as Rowling doesn't write the script i'm all for it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Warner Streaming Service is gonna need some original content...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Here's the thing. It matters how you think about these shows. If you insist on thinking of them as "Before Batman Begins" or "Before Man of Steel" then you miss the point of what the shows really are. And you prejudge their quality based on what you think it's a prequel of. And it's just not a prequel of anything, so your predetermination is unfair, and limiting to what the show is really capable of.

If you think about them as their own thing, their own unique show, and not a "prequel" of anything, then you allow yourself to give the show the freedom to tell the story it intends to tell, and you can accept it on those terms.

A show may still fail, but at least not due to any ill-advised pre-judgement.
    Well said.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What would be the proper term for a show about events that happened before the character donned the costume?
    It’s just another adaptation. Clark in Smallvillr faced Lex Luther multiple times, Branisc, Bizzaro, Doomsday, met the Legion of Superheroes, dated Lana and Lois, worked at the daily planet, was effected by green and red kryptonite, met Joe El multiple times, formed a pseudo Justice League, and was in the middle of a conflict with Darkseid before he “donned the costume”.

He did almost all of the things Superman does

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s just another adaptation. Clark in Smallvillr faced Lex Luther multiple times, Branisc, Bizzaro, Doomsday, met the Legion of Superheroes, dated Lana and Lois, worked at the daily planet, was effected by green and red kryptonite, met Joe El multiple times, formed a pseudo Justice League, and was in the middle of a conflict with Darkseid before he “donned the costume”.

He did almost all of the things Superman does
    Good point. I never watched Smallville, but I went through four seasons of Gotham, and Master Bruce did face many of the same villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    For me Batman is the least interesting character in the Batman comic books and movies. So having a show with everyone but Batman in it is just fine with me.

From what I watched of Krypton it just seemed like the standard dystopian sci-fi show or movie with references to the Superman mythos to get the Superman fans to watch it. If it were named Signus 370 would Superman fans still watch it? If someone likes sci-fi shows in general I guess they will like it, but it just seemed to me been there done that. Basically an upgraded version of the 1970s version of Battlestar Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    For me Batman is the least interesting character in the Batman comic books and movies. So having a show with everyone but Batman in it is just fine with me.

From what I watched of Krypton it just seemed like the standard dystopian sci-fi show or movie with references to the Superman mythos to get the Superman fans to watch it. If it were named Signus 370 would Superman fans still watch it? If someone likes sci-fi shows in general I guess they will like it, but it just seemed to me been there done that. Basically an upgraded version of the 1970s version of Battlestar Galactica.
    Really? Zod, teasing Doomsday, a more accurate Brainiac than I had ever dared hope for in a live action show, Superman's grandpa being the lead, Superman's great grandpa wearing blue and red cape attire on a regular basis and appearing mostly as a hologram ala Superman's dad in both origin movies, use of the Phantom Zone Projector. I mean I get that it doesn't have the shiny bright Superman tone and feeling, but it is rooted deeply in the Superman mythos. And that's not even counting easter eggs that I probably missed.