Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

The numbers the book was selling should've been enough to avoid cancellation (it was canned due to company politics, not sales). But nowhere near Batman level. I would imagine that's what he means.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Claremont did this with the Heroes Return run, on Pier 4 having a tesseract in it. Not exactly original, but I can dig it.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    What do you mean by "middle-ground area"?
    The stories are “okay”, nothing more nothing less. They don’t massively have a dominant place in MU like they should (it’s already happening)
    I’m excited for the wedding but there just seems to be no impact in their big return.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    The stories are “okay”, nothing more nothing less. They don’t massively have a dominant place in MU like they should (it’s already happening)
    I’m excited for the wedding but there just seems to be no impact in their big return.
    They just got back.

Some fans are treating Slott's run like it's a sprint, not a marathon.

This is just getting started and it's going to roll out for years to come.

There's plenty of time to have the FF at the center of universe-shaking events. For now, I'm glad the immediate focus is on the personal level.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    They just got back.

Some fans are treating Slott's run like it's a sprint, not a marathon.

This is just getting started and it's going to roll out for years to come.

There's plenty of time to have the FF at the center of universe-shaking events. For now, I'm glad the immediate focus is on the personal level.

I think Slott has gone at a sprint, actually. And I completely agree that there should be more personal-level things going on...like maybe discussing/arguing where they’ve been? They had a quick 2 lines with one another and in the next issue they’re back home as if nothing has happened. The years they’ve been away feel like they never happened.
    Their return should MEAN something. We should be really seeing how they’ve changed in their time apart, not what their new HQ looks like.

I don’t want them to be universe-shaking events, but the impact their return makes should be shaking in itself, and it just feels like it’s business as usual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think Slott has gone at a sprint, actually. And I completely agree that there should be more personal-level things going on...like maybe discussing/arguing where they’ve been? They had a quick 2 lines with one another and in the next issue they’re back home as if nothing has happened. The years they’ve been away feel like they never happened.
    Their return should MEAN something. We should be really seeing how they’ve changed in their time apart, not what their new HQ looks like.

I don’t want them to be universe-shaking events, but the impact their return makes should be shaking in itself, and it just feels like it’s business as usual.
    This is business as usual in comics. No one in the FF, who have experienced as much as they have, would be flabbergasted by a surprise return. They're happy to be reunited, as we've seen, but this is not something that they have to stop and process. Their lives move too fast for that.

People wanted a sprint in the first issue when they took the time to really get into the moment, and the first three issues were all about that and all of those heroes alongside the rest of the MU knowing that the team was back when the sky was lit up. But the first arc is over, we know how everyone's changed, now it's time to move on to how they're going to re-establish themselves in the MU and move forward.

There really is no winning here, because some people will prefer for them to get back to business ASAP and others will want more time spent on the return, but I think they found the ideal sweet spot.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 12-21-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Mighty Member

This is going to be a hilarious issue.

Just looking at the conjunction of Stan Lee’s passing in the memorial issue #5, with Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters getting married. Stan and Jack would normally be somewhere at this wedding.

I remember one future story where Ben is married to a Mrs Thing and they had two Thing kids, so maybe this marriage with Alicia doesn’t last?
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-21-2018 at 07:33 PM.

That'll be an averted AU, I'm sure. I don't suppose that "Mrs Thing" was Sharon Ventura?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    People wanted a sprint in the first issue when they took the time to really get into the moment, and the first three issues were all about that and all of those heroes alongside the rest of the MU knowing that the team was back when the sky was lit up. But the first arc is over, we know how everyone's changed, now it's time to move on to how they're going to re-establish themselves in the MU and move forward.

There really is no winning here, because some people will prefer for them to get back to business ASAP and others will want more time spent on the return, but I think they found the ideal sweet spot.
    Yeah, it's a fine line between taking too long and rushing into it for comic fans as a whole.

I'm with you. I think the balance was pretty good. There was a big threat to get them together, it was solved in an issue, but that's how stuff got done in the old days. Even the Thing wedding is a quick happening, only four issues after the proposal. 642 issues after they met, but hey.

The Doom story seems like it's going to be a few issues anyway. I hope Slott's really coming up with something different with Doom, though. Asupt as the conclusion to Bendis' Infamous run was, it did leave Doom open to Slott (or whomever was the FF writer).

I'm kind of expecting whatever the rhythm will be to be settled by issue 655-657 or so. 10 to 12 issues after the return seems like a fair time to settle any remaining loose ends. It's even possible the Doom story is indicative of the FF's new status quo. That may even be better. As much as some of us might enjoy seeing the FF handling back to reality chores, the team is best suited to cosmic stuff with the minor and mundane interspaced throughout.

I'm looking forward to this. This should have been the book to launch the Stan memorial cover dress, but such thought are rightfully considered fanboy entitlement.

This is, in fact, the only book with that trade dress to still carry the legacy numbering. I'm glad they kept that 650th issue badge, unlike Uncanny X-Men which lost it's X-Men Disassembled Part # from the cover.

Mighty Member

Considering Lee and Kirby were kicked out of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Girl's wedding, they should be here.

The early reviews of the issue say it's really good. I'm looking forward to it even more!
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The early reviews of the issue say it's really good. I'm looking forward to it even more!
    I would assume that there were no Skrulls, mutant shapeshifters, and illusionists involved to impede the wedding.