Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I bought it as it was already pulled...solid story. Unfortunately, I LOATHE Kuder's stiff, uninteresting, mannequin-faces art style.

Really loved seeing Adam Hughes doing interiors again. It all looked so good!

I know most people want a female heavy book drawn by Adam Hughes but I want him to do a book featuring all those shirtless men...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I bought it as it was already pulled...solid story. Unfortunately, I LOATHE Kuder's stiff, uninteresting, mannequin-faces art style.
    Similar to me
    Main bit ok, art shifts really annoying
    Could not believe how much this cost me I don't care about the page count, it's still just a floppy, would have skipped it but I didn't want to put my LCS out

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Similar to me
    Main bit ok, art shifts really annoying
    Could not believe how much this cost me I don't care about the page count, it's still just a floppy, would have skipped it but I didn't want to put my LCS out
    I don't want another overpriced issue for at least the next 50 issues. And I'm saying 50 because I can accept issue 700 being a big issue.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I don't want another overpriced issue for at least the next 50 issues. And I'm saying 50 because I can accept issue 700 being a big issue.
    Only three of the last six issues have been oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Only three of the last six issues have been oversized.
    It should have only been one in my opinion, the wedding issue.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

IMHO, the wedding issue should have been an Annual legacy numbered 35. This would have led into the Doom/Galactus issue 650 which would have contained the Doom story from issue 646 as a back-up leaving the return issue more normal sized. Although the Skottie Young page was 100% necessary.

But the stories have been good even if the pricing has been unpleasant.

The Annual better have legacy numbering on it. And be more than a 40 pg slightly enlarged issue.

Astonishing Member

IMHO, the wedding issue should have been an Annual legacy numbered 35. This would have led into the Doom/Galactus issue 650 which would have contained the Doom story from issue 646 as a back-up leaving the return issue more normal sized. Although the Skottie Young page was 100% necessary.

But the stories have been good even if the pricing has been unpleasant.

The Annual better have legacy numbering on it. And be more than a 40 pg slightly enlarged issue.
    Yeah I've been ok with the story, but I'm losing my patience with price bumps irrelevant of page count especially when I feel it's mainly tagged on story

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I've been ok with the story, but I'm losing my patience with price bumps irrelevant of page count especially when I feel it's mainly tagged on story
    The Wedding Issue was really the only issue which needed the extra pages. The 645 and 646 page bumps were sentimentality driven.

645, the "final issue" really wasn't. Even discounting the belief that they were coming back sometime, the real end of the run was Secret Wars 9.

As to the return issue, The Doom story wasn't needed. I will defend the necessity of the Young page, but Doom upped the price unnecessarily. Of course, Marvel did pay for another 30 pieces of cover art which they needed to make up for. Still, meh. I can live with a 40 page 1st issue with a 28 or 30 page story. But both of these issues were padded.

Astonishing Member

The Wedding Issue was really the only issue which needed the extra pages. The 645 and 646 page bumps were sentimentality driven.

645, the "final issue" really wasn't. Even discounting the belief that they were coming back sometime, the real end of the run was Secret Wars 9.

As to the return issue, The Doom story wasn't needed. I will defend the necessity of the Young page, but Doom upped the price unnecessarily. Of course, Marvel did pay for another 30 pieces of cover art which they needed to make up for. Still, meh. I can live with a 40 page 1st issue with a 28 or 30 page story. But both of these issues were padded.
    you've really crystallised this for me

Given this, I've concluded if I see another price bumped issue before the next number milestone, I'll be dropping this from my pull, and I think I'll do the same for any marvel book I pick up from now on

I'm just tired of extra size issues that I feel are padded and hugely over priced for a floppy

And I don't really see this elsewhere nearly as much as marvel

Astonishing Member

Having had another look, I really hated the Mish mash of art here, the book felt very disjointed to me and whilst the basic story was ok it really ruined the experience for me

Another reason I dislike padded issues I feel

I really like Alicia so I loved this issue. I also loved the Wedding Special, though I wish Dorrie Evans--her partner in crime during the Torch and Thing's Strange Tales series--had been included in the festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    I really like Alicia so I loved this issue. I also loved the Wedding Special, though I wish Dorrie Evans--her partner in crime during the Torch and Thing's Strange Tales series--had been included in the festivities.

I can only assume that this story has been tweaked somewhat.

Alicia having a normal GF to hang with and get into mischief (and yes, it would be a relative amount) with would be a good development. While Dorrie Evans is a possibility, the whole Lyja marries Johnny disguised as Alicia thing would be an elephant in that room.

Full Disclosure: I am not a fan of Lyja or the marriage.

Still. someone like Rikki, who hopefully will remain unpowered, would be a great addition to the cast.

^^
    The Lyja elephant was touched on in the Wedding Special comic, iirc.

And I'm an old school FF fan, so I prefer Alicia with some old time pals. And Dorrie did pop up in FF #645 so it would have been great to see her again here.

Q:
    I don't really follow today's comics, I only pick up an issue here and there when I hear that a character I like is featured (as is the case here with Alicia). So I'm wondering, can Ben still revert to his pre-cosmic ray form once a year?
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 12-30-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Ben hasn't been seen in human form since Hickman's "Three" to my knowledge. And yes, would love to see Dorrie again.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES