Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Simones arc was really fun, but it didn't get to develop much in Wonder Woman, with Simone using her in that Secret Six thing.

Oh gods, I almost forgot the whole Eros thing. That mess was confusing. And he basically acted like Kanighers silver age Steve Trevor.
    Yeah, Giganta's role in Simone's Wonder Woman was really fun but much too short, so that's why it's nice to see Wilson taking another go at it.

Also, I'm not sure we should assume that "Aphrodite's son" necessarily refers to Eros. Aphrodite had plenty of sons, including Phobos and Deimos. Priapos would probably don't fit into the family-friendly atmosphere, and Anteros (or Himeros) too obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, Giganta's role in Simone's Wonder Woman was really fun but much too short, so that's why it's nice to see Wilson taking another go at it.

Also, I'm not sure we should assume that "Aphrodite's son" necessarily refers to Eros. Aphrodite had plenty of sons, including Phobos and Deimos. Priapos would probably don't fit into the family-friendly atmosphere, and Anteros (or Himeros) too obscure.
    True. Were kinda default assuming Eros because hes the best well known and the one with the most usage in Wonder Womans mythos, but it would certainly not be surprising if a curve ball was thrown. Especially with that one throw away twitter comment from Wilson about researching Hermaphroditus who is another one of Aphrodites children.

From my experience when it comes to having an artist one dislikes it helps to peruse Liefeld artwork. It can give one a better appreciation for most art styles.
    Ouch! Though in the case of Nord, it's not so much the style as the way he poses Diana and the facial expressions he gives her. He can do a decent Diana, as he showed in the first few pages of #58 or in the splash page of her protecting Etta in #60. But the frame where Etta gets hit in the same issue? What's that?

True. Were kinda default assuming Eros because hes the best well known and the one with the most usage in Wonder Womans mythos, but it would certainly not be surprising if a curve ball was thrown. Especially with that one throw away twitter comment from Wilson about researching Hermaphroditus who is another one of Aphrodites children.
    Good catch!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I do wish it was a different artist for this story, but I'm just glad that it seems Giganta will finally be treated with respect rather than just being the villain Diana punches out in one panel. The solicits suggesting that Giganta is powerful enough to spar with the actual Titans makes me very hopeful that this will be our definitive Giganta story, as she really hasn't had one in the past beyond her first appearance in the 40's.

You make a good point about Gigana being powerful enough to go toe to toe with the actual Titans. Maybe it will be revealed that she's actually one of them?

As for the art, i'm praying DC makes a last minute decision to replace Nord with someone whose art I find more appealing If only the Dodsons would give interiors on this book another shot..........
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Oh gods, I almost forgot the whole Eros thing. That mess was confusing. And he basically acted like Kanighers silver age Steve Trevor. XP
    'This is a retcon to unretcon all the past retcons so that Wonder Woman has all of her continuity back~' Which was never really addressed or explored afterwards.
    I thought it was a brilliant way of wrapping up the series. There was nothing to address afterwards since the series and that continuity was ending, and Steve and Diana ended up getting married. I was really grateful to Mishkin for bringing together all the various continuities into a nice neat bow before sending Di and Steve on their way. Now if only he'd addressed those angry ladies from the end of WW #203.

Whether there's the reference to that story or not, I immediately thought of Eros as Aphrodite's son as well. He's obviously the most famous, and the other two contenders, Deimos and Phobos, usually come as a pair. Looking forward to seeing Giganta and the Titans, too.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hermaphroditus would be a more interesting and out-there choice. Wilson saying she is researching him (them?) is a good indication that that's probably who it is.

I'm just happy Aphrodite is getting so much attention. Her demotion from the uber goddess of the Amazons and Ares/Mars's greatest opposition to being just one of many goddesses (and mostly just the useless, ditzy pretty one) has always been one of the most annoying post-Crisis changes to the WW mythos. I don't think any goddess should upstage Aphrodite, not even Athena (though she shouldn't be very far behind and come the next closest in importance).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Hermaphroditus would be a more interesting and out-there choice. Wilson saying she is researching him (them?) is a good indication that that's probably who it is.

I'm just happy Aphrodite is getting so much attention. Her demotion from the uber goddess of the Amazons and Ares/Mars's greatest opposition to being just one of many goddesses (and mostly just the useless, ditzy pretty one) has always been one of the most annoying post-Crisis changes to the WW mythos. I don't think any goddess should upstage Aphrodite, not even Athena (though she shouldn't be very far behind and come the next closest in importance).
    Id argue that Gaea should be allowed that one exception of upstaging Aphrodite, but otherwise, yeah its good to see Aphrodite return to importance.

Fantastic Member

I have 2 questions about Aphrodite in the Golden Age.

1. Was Aphrodite ever considered as Diana's second mother since she's the one who brought her to life?

2. Did Aphrodite blessed Diana her personality traits like sexual love and seduction?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post

1. Was Aphrodite ever considered as Diana's second mother since she's the one who brought her to life?

2. Did Aphrodite blessed Diana her personality traits like sexual love and seduction?
    My take would be: no and no.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Id argue that Gaea should be allowed that one exception of upstaging Aphrodite, but otherwise, yeah its good to see Aphrodite return to importance.
    I think it's bad storytelling form to say that one character is never allowed to be upstaged. If we look at real-world mythologies, every mythical character gets to play in the background or become the butt of a joke once in a while. Within the Wonder Woman mythos, I think Hestia, Hecate, and Demeter all could play more prominent roles, and they all have more personality and mythical vigor than the largely passive Gaea.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think it's bad storytelling form to say that one character is never allowed to be upstaged. If we look at real-world mythologies, every mythical character gets to play in the background or become the butt of a joke once in a while. Within the Wonder Woman mythos, I think Hestia, Hecate, and Demeter all could play more prominent roles, and they all have more personality and mythical vigor than the largely passive Gaea.
    Historically though, Aphrodite is the patron goddess of the Amazons, the one who created them, brought Diana to life, provided their mythical home and was the direct opposition to Ares. She shouldn't, IMO, be "upstaged" in the sense that she clearly was the most important goddess to the WW mythos and that role shouldn't be given to other goddesses willy nilly. Which it kind of was in the Perez run. Other than that they were all women, there really wasn't a good reason to involve all the goddesses of Olympus in a job that Aphrodite largely did by herself beforehand (and in the new version, she didn't contribute that much besides getting her husband to make the lasso).

Other goddesses should have recurring roles and come to the forefront for arcs and Aphrodite by no means should have to be in EVERY story. But being THE patron goddess, or one of the two main ones along with Athena, should be her role. It's no different from any other comic franchise really. Like, James Gordon is THE Gotham cop who is Batman's most important ally on the force, but there are other cops and Gordon doesn't have to be in every story. His larger place in the mythos is unchanged/untouched though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post

1. No, though some instances it seemed like Aphrodite actually lived on the island within her temple.

2. No? While she was the goddess of love, the Aphrodite of the golden age was treated more as a goddess of ethics. With a whole idea that love is needed for peace to exist, and lines like 'power must be tempered by love.' and such. It was very much the idea that if someone didn't follow Aphrodites teachings of having love for every living thing, they would be susceptible to corruption by their own power.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Historically though, Aphrodite is the patron goddess of the Amazons, the one who created them, brought Diana to life, provided their mythical home and was the direct opposition to Ares. She shouldn't, IMO, be "upstaged" in the sense that she clearly was the most important goddess to the WW mythos and that role shouldn't be given to other goddesses willy nilly. Which it kind of was in the Perez run. Other than that they were all women, there really wasn't a good reason to involve all the goddesses of Olympus in a job that Aphrodite largely did by herself beforehand (and in the new version, she didn't contribute that much besides getting her husband to make the lasso).
    Well, if one thinks "historically" like I do, then Ares was the patron of the Amazons!

But I liked a lot of Pérez's take on the Amazons and the goddesses. Maybe not in every particular, but it was much more true to the original Greek myths rather than the rather modern and pop-culture understanding of them that Marston had. I also think the more polytheistic take that Pérez used gives a larger scope for stories. Marston more had Aphrodite and Athena turn up as visions now and then and tell the Amazons that yes, Diana should be allowed to go out and do things.

FWIW, I do think the Amazons should care deeply about several gods and goddesses, but individual Amazons can and should be more connected to specific gods. Where they are in life, what they do, and what they want should also be factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    True and i hope we don't get a rehash of Wonder Woman and Giganta being frenemies. I want to see Wonder Woman face off with Giganta and fans are left realizing that Giganta is a credible threat to Wonder Woman.
    Thank you, because THIS. I'm going to be hopeful, since the solicit says DOCTOR Doris Zeul. (Doris is no dummy and I hate it when her growth powers supposedly dwindle her intellect. Quite sexist to say that as a woman's stature or power grows, her intelligence diminishes, but I digress...)

I love how the rebirth (ha!) of the pantheon are connecting to adventures with the Amazing Amazon's adversaries. Clash of the Titans in this episode, indeed.

It makes me wonder who else may be a thematic match made in Olympus? Doctor Poison vs Asclepius? Queen Clea and Poseidon? Artemis and Dr. Barbara Minerva? Doctor Cyber and Hephaestus in a dual duel between digital and empyrean forges? Doctor Psycho mesmerizes the ultra man-God Heracles? The wrath of Hera and the wrath of The Mask? Apollo, and one of his symbols, the mouse, unleashing the rodent rage of the minute menace of Mouse Man? A tale of the Angler and the Aegeus with Angle Man and Athena? Zara brings the fire and heat to Hades' cold, desolate Underworld by reigniting the Phlegethon or recommits an Olympian original sin with Prometheus?

So many intriguing paths to take that makes the World of Wonder a much larger place than it has been in the past.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 12-22-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Im also hoping we get a deeper take on Giganta than whats previously shown. Some strong characterization would be darn spiffy.
    One of the only things I enjoyed about Robinson's run was the brief interlude in one issue between Steve and an incarcerated Dr. Doris Zeul. It's the most characterization Doris has had in years and, while I don't want her solely characterized as a thief or muscle for hire (she's BIGGER than that), it was fun seeing her throw some attitude at Steve and hold her own personality-wise, FINALLY.