Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

bad time for Wilbur to come out of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I do wonder though, in light of Peter and Otto making peace, or at least having a working truce going on, why does Otto want to be Spider-Man now that he has his clean slate?

Like marketting it makes complete sense, since the book sold like gangbusters and somewhere along the line, the creative team/office walked back on Otto going back to being Doc Ock.
    my guess is he really like being Spider-Man and if he wants to he can add the octopus arms on his suit. And it will probably be easier for him to start out as a hero as Spider-Man then as Doc Ock

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Ah, that's it....an extra "T" but still pretty cool; thanks!!
    Ah, but remember that he spells it "Elliot".

I get why characters like Otto as the Superior Spider-Man appeals to people but I just don't really care for seeing such an arrogant and snobby bad guy parading around as a hero without any real comeuppance in the future for him so Marvel can make money off his comic.

Like, I could stomach the Superior Spider-Man story when I understood the endgame was proving Otto wasn't actually the "Superior" Spider-Man and Peter was going to come back, but this series seems to set out to show as much love for Otto as he has for himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Nice to see Otto still being a huge but lovable douchbag. Can't wait to see what they do with Otto in this series, especially with his relationship with Anna Maria.
    I think Gage is going to have to be really careful with how he handles Otto and Anna Maria's relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I do wonder though, in light of Peter and Otto making peace, or at least having a working truce going on, why does Otto want to be Spider-Man now that he has his clean slate?
    I just also don't get how Peter would let Otto run around as Spider-Man.

I mean, setting aside the "truce" which I can't really buy, I just can't see Peter being okay with Otto running around as Spider-Man since that would stand as a testament to everything Otto did to him, his body, and the people he cared about and the fact that Otto got away with it pretty much scott-free thanks to his backups.

And he knows what Otto is like as Spider-Man, and what he's liable to do, and I can't see an in-character Peter letting someone do that using his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get why characters like Otto as the Superior Spider-Man appeals to people but I just don't really care for seeing such an arrogant and snobby bad guy parading around as a hero without any real comeuppance in the future for him so Marvel can make money off his comic.
    did you read the solicits? there would seem to be plenty of comeuppance. Otto isn't that much different from Pietro Maximoff, the end of the day.

I agree that the truce between Peter and Otto feels a little off, but beyond that, I'm excited for this book. I love Otto's arrogant bloviating as a mirror to Peter's humor, especially: he may have the best dialogue in comics right now.

I really hope we get an intrigue supporting cast. I already like how Anna Marie is being handled; based on the Superior Octopus oneshot, it seems like she's constantly in the driver's seat now, always a step ahead of Otto, and I like that autonomy for her character. It'll be interesting to see if she develops any real sympathy for Otto.

And hey, if they aren't you slated to appear elsewhere, I'd love to see Ben and Kaine keeping an eye on Otto.

-Pav, who currently isn't buying many monthlies...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

love the art but I'm not on board. I was enjoying the Superior Doc Ock book, it was nice to see some genuine growth for his character and an Alex Ross designed suit that was perfect for Otto. This throwback to Superior Spider-Man is a cash grab and I don't have any desire to pick up what is now another Spider-Man knock off title.

Jim Cheung designed Superior Octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    did you read the solicits? there would seem to be plenty of comeuppance. Otto isn't that much different from Pietro Maximoff, the end of the day.
    It depends on how it's handled.

Like, if Otto really struggles and sees how difficult it is to be Spider-Man, great, but if it's all to give him obstacles that he can prove himself "Superior" over...not really all that enthused by it.

Astonishing Member

I kinda wish he had stayed as Superior Octopus. It was more unique.

I also wonder what will happen with Otto in the years to come. Superior Spider-Man is very popular. But Dr Octopus is iconic. I think both characters can co-exist by having an evil clone or a time-displaced Otto re-emerge as Doc Ock. Comics are so crazy nowadays, that most people would shrug and just accept it.

I just also don't get how Peter would let Otto run around as Spider-Man.

I mean, setting aside the "truce" which I can't really buy, I just can't see Peter being okay with Otto running around as Spider-Man since that would stand as a testament to everything Otto did to him, his body, and the people he cared about and the fact that Otto got away with it pretty much scott-free thanks to his backups.

And he knows what Otto is like as Spider-Man, and what he's liable to do, and I can't see an in-character Peter letting someone do that using his name.
    To be fair, he's as okay with Otto running around with his symbol as he was when Venom first started out as an anti-hero, basically its too much trouble to try to constantly fight him that you might as well let him try to do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, he's as okay with Otto running around with his symbol as he was when Venom first started out as an anti-hero, basically its too much trouble to try to constantly fight him that you might as well let him try to do good.
    But Peter has a better track record of beating Otto then he does Venom, on-top of the fact that at least Venom wasn't calling himself Spider-Man.

But Peter has a better track record of beating Otto then he does Venom, on-top of the fact that at least Venom wasn't calling himself Spider-Man.
    Pretty much. When this goes belly up. The blood will be on Peter's hands as well as Otto.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Pretty much. When this goes belly up. The blood will be on Peter's hands as well as Otto.
    Peter is also about second chances. See: Sandman, Kaine, Prowler, etc (okay, maybe Prowler isn’t on the same level as Doc Ock, but Sandman and Kaine both killed people when they were bad guys)

He might just be relieved that one of his worst enemies is actually trying to reform and be better. If all Otto is doing is trying to save lives, who is Peter to stand in the way of that?