Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Peter is also about second chances. See: Sandman, Kaine, Prowler, etc (okay, maybe Prowler isn’t on the same level as Doc Ock, but Sandman and Kaine both killed people when they were bad guys)
    Kaine is probably the closest comparison on the level of Peter getting on better terms with someone who screwed his life over, but it's also an entirely different relationship and dynamic because of the cloning thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    He might just be relieved that one of his worst enemies is actually trying to reform and be better. If all Otto is doing is trying to save lives, who is Peter to stand in the way of that?
    Maybe if this was the Otto who gave him his body back, but this is the Otto who ended up screwing him over in Spider-Verse and joined Hydra.

I would think he'd know well enough from the last Superior escapade how Otto's attempt at heroics eventually end up.

Anyone who puts their tentacles on the line for Aunt Bae gets carte blanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kaine is probably the closest comparison on the level of Peter getting on better terms with someone who screwed his life over, but it's also an entirely different relationship and dynamic because of the cloning thing.

Maybe if this was the Otto who gave him his body back, but this is the Otto who ended up screwing him over in Spider-Verse and joined Hydra.

I would think he'd know well enough from the last Superior escapade how Otto's attempt at heroics eventually end up.
    Make no mistake Otto has done some horrible things in the past, he even admitted that in Superior Octopus, but you can see he's clearly trying to turn over a new leaf. Which showed when he saved Aunt May in GDS. And if Peter can be on alright terms with Venom, who's screwed with him so many times, I think he can give Otto a chance to do the right thing instead of confronting him and causing him to turn again.

Make no mistake Otto has done some horrible things in the past, he even admitted that in Superior Octopus, but you can see he's clearly trying to turn over a new leaf. Which showed when he saved Aunt May in GDS. And if Peter can be on alright terms with Venom, who's screwed with him so many times, I think he can give Otto a chance to do the right thing instead of confronting him and causing him to turn again.
    Not to mention that Peter has lived quite a few of Otto's memories. He knows how he became who he was and also had seen who he could be. And he's got too much to deal with without flying across country where his presence might cause more harm than good.

I'm so excited about this series. I eagerly await whatever Marvell has in store for our favorite anti-hero. I love Otto ripping on Pete's approach to being Spider-Man/a superhero in the preview panel, it's such an Otto thing to do lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Otto would have probably saved Aunt May irregardless of whether he was turning over a new leaf or not, so I don't think that really changes anything beyond making Peter "Okay" with Doc Ock now.

I mean, the argument could probably be made that Peter shouldn't at all be okay with Venom being loose, and that was used as a knock against him back when they were trying to spin Ben as the "real" Spider-Man, but it is what it is when editorial wants to have a popular "anti-hero" running around unencumbered in their own solo book.

I think it's more believable that Peter would be willing to let Otto loose to do his own brand of heroism then it is Peter letting Otto apply that brand of heroism as Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Not to mention that Peter has lived quite a few of Otto's memories. He knows how he became who he was and also had seen who he could be. And he's got too much to deal with without flying across country where his presence might cause more harm than good.
    If he thinks there's a chance Otto's heroics will end up causing more harm then good, with his track record, I think he would probably head straight over there.

But Peter generally needs to be irrelevant to these spinoffs, which is why that won't happen.

[QUOTE=Frontier;4093886
    If he thinks there's a chance Otto's heroics will end up causing more harm then good, with his track record, I think he would probably head straight over there. [/quote]

I think that's a thing that will happen in the book, though. I do think Parker will be keeping an eye on things.

Otto would have probably saved Aunt May irregardless of whether he was turning over a new leaf or not, so I don't think that really changes anything beyond making Peter "Okay" with Doc Ock now.

I mean, the argument could probably be made that Peter shouldn't at all be okay with Venom being loose, and that was used as a knock against him back when they were trying to spin Ben as the "real" Spider-Man, but it is what it is when editorial wants to have a popular "anti-hero" running around unencumbered in their own solo book.

I think it's more believable that Peter would be willing to let Otto loose to do his own brand of heroism then it is Peter letting Otto apply that brand of heroism as Spider-Man.
    Here's the thing, (if we're pretending the comic world is real) what can Peter even do? Write a letter to Doc Ock or go on Threats & Menaces saying he doesn't endorse him? It's not like Otto would care. Peter can't trademark the name "Spider-man." I guess Peter could beat Otto up and bring him to the police but for what? Being a vigilante or for not bending down and kissing the ring. Otto has officially been declared dead, theirs only Prof Elliott Tolliver and so far his students love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Here's the thing, (if we're pretending the comic world is real) what can Peter even do? Write a letter to Doc Ock or go on Threats & Menaces saying he doesn't endorse him? It's not like Otto would care. Peter can't trademark the name "Spider-man." I guess Peter could beat Otto up and bring him to the police but for what? Being a vigilante or for not bending down and kissing the ring. Otto has officially been declared dead, theirs only Prof Elliott Tolliver and so far his students love him.

I'm reminded of the issue where Spidey super-hypocritically gives Harry Osborne a beat down for heroing as the Green Goblin. xD

If he thinks there's a chance Otto's heroics will end up causing more harm then good, with his track record, I think he would probably head straight over there.

But Peter generally needs to be irrelevant to these spinoffs, which is why that won't happen.
    That's the thing, Otto has a new view on life since he still has Peter's memories which has changed him. I'm sure there will be a point in the series where he will be faced with the idea to kill someone horrible, but would decide it's not what Spider-Man would do. I think they could definitely have Otto use Peter's memories as a meter, to know what line he can't cross. So he can try and be the hero PS4 Spidey thought he was and can be.

Otto's also shown considerable growth from Spider Geddon, with meeting PS4 Spidey, to not killing the Inheritors and giving them a second chance. And I'm sure Peter's seen that, which is why he's fine with letting him go.
    Last edited by GSman; 12-22-2018 at 06:32 AM.

That's the thing, Otto has a new view on life since he still has Peter's memories which has changed him. I'm sure there will be a point in the series where he will be faced with the idea to kill someone horrible, but would decide it's not what Spider-Man would do. I think they could definitely have Otto use Peter's memories as a meter, to know what line he can't cross. So he can try and be the hero PS4 Spidey thought he was and can be.

Otto's also shown considerable growth from Spider Geddon, with meeting PS4 Spidey, to not killing the Inheritors and giving them a second chance. And I'm sure Peter's seen that, which is why he's fine with letting him go.
    And what's fighting Otto over and over again gotten him, anyway? Even dying doesn't stop Otto from coming back and making a hash of Pete's life. Like I said, I'm sure we'll have Pete getting concerned and checking in on things because it's the Superior frigging Spider-Man at it again, though I think he's more likely to ask Miles to talk to him given the rapport they actually seemed to've established by the end of Spider-Geddon.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I'm waiting for the Marvel Legends line for this, Superior Spider-man with Tolliver head alternate, Superior Octopus also with Tolliver alternate head, Anna Maria, maybe Dansen Macabre, the Brothers Grimm, Gypsy Moth, and a Max Modell build-a-figure LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I'm waiting for the Marvel Legends line for this, Superior Spider-man with Tolliver head alternate, Superior Octopus also with Tolliver alternate head, Anna Maria, maybe Dansen Macabre, the Brothers Grimm, Gypsy Moth, and a Max Modell build-a-figure LOL
    I so can't wait to see what happens with Otto and the Night Shift. xD

It's not like the fact that the Spider-Man who blew up New York with his methods was known to be Octavius, was it? And them seeing Otto as the Superior Spider-Man is going to be lolworthy.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

That's a good question. How well known is it that Otto was the first Superior Spider-man. Peter made a point telling some of the heroes, and I suspect the " Superior"Sinister Six may have figured it out. It seems Otto has no qualms about publicly admitting he is the Superior Spider-man again, while "Elliot Tolliver" is the secret identity. This is gonna be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    That's a good question. How well known is it that Otto was the first Superior Spider-man. Peter made a point telling some of the heroes, and I suspect the " Superior"Sinister Six may have figured it out. It seems Otto has no qualms about publicly admitting he is the Superior Spider-man again, while "Elliot Tolliver" is the secret identity. This is gonna be fun...
    Not to mention Count Nefaria will almost certainly put two and two together, at the very least.