Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Peter is also about second chances. See: Sandman, Kaine, Prowler, etc (okay, maybe Prowler isn’t on the same level as Doc Ock, but Sandman and Kaine both killed people when they were bad guys)
    I know Peter's about that, but Ock has had quite a few chances. Don't get me wrong. I like the Superior Spider-Man character. It made me read Spider-Man for the first time in many years, but I know Ock will do something bad and screw things up. As stated he had already joined Hydra with Evil Cap. Also he will be in San Francisco without Peter around to watch what he's doing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I know Peter's about that, but Ock has had quite a few chances. Don't get me wrong. I like the Superior Spider-Man character. It made me read Spider-Man for the first time in many years, but I know Ock will do something bad and screw things up. As stated he had already joined Hydra with Evil Cap. Also he will be in San Francisco without Peter around to watch what he's doing.
    A simple solution would be to get the West Coast Avengers, the Runaways, and/or any other heroes presently in California to watch Otto like a hawk. Ideally, Jessica Drew would return to San Francisco (and reunite with Lindsay McCabe), as she's had the most experience with the Superior Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    A simple solution would be to get the West Coast Avengers, the Runaways, and/or any other heroes presently in California to watch Otto like a hawk. Ideally, Jessica Drew would return to San Francisco (and reunite with Lindsay McCabe), as she's had the most experience with the Superior Spider-Man.
    Great ideas. That would definitely be the way to go.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Honestly, I just love Otto's redemption. Yes he's an arrogant douche but quite honestly, his heart is in the right place. Peter's lived through his life after all. He knows what Otto is capable, plus he knows what Otto can become. Also as Otto said when he saved Aunt May, he has Peter's upbringing. His "ridiculous" ideals of right and wrong. Being Spider-Man changed him for the better. Plus I feel that he had too much character development as SpOck to go back to plain Doctor Octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Runaways seems less likely, but I'm really hoping for a crossover with the West Coast Avengers at some point. Otto already referenced them in the Superior Octopus issue and I believe Thompson has expressed interest in using him, so that would be really fun to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Honestly, I just love Otto's redemption. Yes he's an arrogant douche but quite honestly, his heart is in the right place. Peter's lived through his life after all. He knows what Otto is capable, plus he knows what Otto can become. Also as Otto said when he saved Aunt May, he has Peter's upbringing. His "ridiculous" ideals of right and wrong. Being Spider-Man changed him for the better. Plus I feel that he had too much character development as SpOck to go back to plain Doctor Octopus.
    I guess it just depends on how you read it.

Like a lot of what drove him as the Superior Spider-Man was inflating his own ego and proving he was better then Peter and that defined a lot of his victories and his screw-ups as Spider-Man.. He enjoyed the praise he got for being a hero but I don't think it ever made him a believer of doing good for good's sake, especially when he was running around in the body of a guy he had effectively killed. Nothing in that preview tells me that isn't the same guy.

If this was the Otto who sacrificed himself to bring Peter back, that would be one thing, but it isn't.

The imprinting of Peter's life didn't seem to really effect a lot of how Otto acted as Superior Spider-Man. He was mostly running around on his own terms and by his own beliefs of how a hero should act, and that sometimes ran counter to what Peter believed.

I mean, he was more or less Doctor Octopus a few months ago so I don't think it would be that much of a stretch for him to go back again.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I think Otto now might be at a similar place as the Otto who gave up Peter's body at the end of the first SSM run, based on his actions to save Aunt May in ASM 800. He took the Goblin spike hits intended for her, essentially sacrificing himself for her and giving up any tactical advantage, ironically similar to what Peter did by making Otto move to save the little girl from the train in SSM 30, giving up his tactical advantage and alerting Otto to his presence in their consciousness.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Great ideas. That would definitely be the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Runaways seems less likely, but I'm really hoping for a crossover with the West Coast Avengers at some point. Otto already referenced them in the Superior Octopus issue and I believe Thompson has expressed interest in using him, so that would be really fun to see.
    Thanks for the feedback, and while I can see Frontier's reasoning behind not buying into Otto's redemption so easily if his personality and attitude are mostly unchanged from his first run as the Superior Spider-Man, I can also believe that the events of Spider-Geddon may well be a more positive influence on his approach to heroism than some may be willing to credit. Time will tell, of course.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Like a lot of what drove him as the Superior Spider-Man was inflating his own ego and proving he was better then Peter and that defined a lot of his victories and his screw-ups as Spider-Man.. He enjoyed the praise he got for being a hero but I don't think it ever made him a believer of doing good for good's sake, especially when he was running around in the body of a guy he had effectively killed. Nothing in that preview tells me that isn't the same guy.

If this was the Otto who sacrificed himself to bring Peter back, that would be one thing, but it isn't.

The imprinting of Peter's life didn't seem to really effect a lot of how Otto acted as Superior Spider-Man. He was mostly running around on his own terms and by his own beliefs of how a hero should act, and that sometimes ran counter to what Peter believed.
    if there wasn't good in Otto, he wouldn't have had that relationship with Anna Maria. that was at the beginning of his time as "Peter."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I mean, he was more or less Doctor Octopus a few months ago so I don't think it would be that much of a stretch for him to go back again.
    Having read the issue now I will say it actually is self-aware on Otto still needing to earn his face turn.

spoilers:
    Anna Maria also works for Horizon University and she immediately puts two and two together that Otto is back and has a new alias. And when she confronts him, she calls bullshit on his trying to justify his past villainy as the arms messing with his brain.
    end of spoilers
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    ...spoilers:
    Anna Maria also works for Horizon University and she immediately puts two and two together that Otto is back and has a new alias. And when she confronts him, she calls bullshit on his trying to justify his past villainy as the arms messing with his brain.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This was a great social commentary by way of allegory (I love this sort of subtle subtext stuff when done right). Otto's excuse and resulting exchange with Anna Maria reminded me of the type of self-serving hollow excuses various public figures have given in recent years when caught in criminal acts.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    spoilers:
    This was a great social commentary by way of allegory (I love this sort of subtle subtext stuff when done right). Otto's excuse and resulting exchange with Anna Maria reminded me of the type of self-serving hollow excuses various public figures have given in recent years when caught in criminal acts.
    end of spoilers
    I agree and it really begs the question of how does Otto earn the redemption "right way."

spoilers:
    Like, for all of his talk about wanting to start off on a clean slate and turning a new leaf, he is still using wealth he obtained from his path villainous lifestyle to fund his current lifestyle.
    end of spoilers

So yeah, I'm actually really interested in following this run as well.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I agree and it really begs the question of how does Otto earn the redemption "right way."

spoilers:
    Like, for all of his talk about wanting to start off on a clean slate and turning a new leaf, he is still using wealth he obtained from his path villainous lifestyle to fund his current lifestyle.
    end of spoilers

So yeah, I'm actually really interested in following this run as well.
    spoilers:
    Currently Otto wants "redemption" (as evidenced by his flimsy excuse) but on his terms. If his path forward proves a difficult one he is fully prepared to take shortcuts or even stop moving along it altogether. Otto's selfish mindset must change if he wants to truly earn his new role as a superhero. Until Otto realizes he must work at achieving true lasting change he won't progress as a person/character rather, he'll remain just a bad guy playing at being a good guy.

On a related note, I can't wait to watch his journey unfold.
    end of spoilers
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Having read the issue now I will say it actually is self-aware on Otto still needing to earn his face turn.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Anna Maria Marconi. Still one of the best written characters of the Superior era .
    end of spoilers

Good issue, as expected from Gage
    I am really eager on seeing more of Otto's and Anna Maria's Interactions
    Also.. was that Darkseid at the end? Hahah