Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The Flash, with a better script and dialogue.

What don't you like about the current script and dialogue of the pending Flash movie?

Legion of Superheroes. Its the scariest place for DC to go right now, I know, but they really need to take some risks and differentiate themselves from their distinguished competition and this is a good way to do that. Or the JSA, man. Come on Johns, show some balls!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-24-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Legion of Superheroes. Its the scariest place for DC to go right now, I know, but they really need to take some risks and differentiate themselves from their distinguished competition and this is a good way to do that. Or the JSA, man. Come on Johns, show some balls!
    I posted in my 2019 Comic Book Movie thread that DC Animated is putting out a Justice League vs. The Fatal Five animated movie.

Maybe this is a way to begin the process of introducing the Legion and its world to the general public -- or at least stoke the demand for Legion material in the comic book audience and then hope that it filters out beyond that.

Then, down the road, I'd like to see Wan take a crack at the Legion. However, the Legion really does have to be done carefully. It needs to be a hit from the get-go or else Warners will be gunshy about the property ever making a reappearance outside comics.

I do think that Wan is one of a few directors that has a reasonably good shot at making the Legion a household name.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Aquaman 2: We all enjoyed Aquaman. If its not broke, don't fix it. Keep that ball rolling

Man of Steel 2: Cavill is awesome as Superman. You just need good management behind the project. Wan would be perfect. Have him cook up a Brainac Plot and I know it will be a success.

Retired

I hope he does the second AQUAMAN, but to balance things out he should also do something that's much darker and horrifying--such as Klarion the Witch Boy, the Spectre or Shade.

Sugar and spike!

You know, I wonder if James Wan will now be a victim of his own success as Aquaman is by far his most mainstream hit. Will this define what a "James Wan" movie is going forward. M. Night Shayamalan kind of faced the same thing after The Sixth Sense, which is why the very different Unbreakable underperformed.

In other words, Wan really CAN'T do a Klarion or Sugar & Spike movie. You gotta follow up a blockbuster with another blockbuster to keep that career momentum going. Sure, he can do horror stuff as he has a built-in fanbase for that, but that will kind of be seen as his side projects by the main media. The next CBM he does will HAVE to be tentpole-level (or something he can turn into a tentpole), not a niche project. I don't think Spectre or supernatural/Vertigo properties can go beyond niche. They're still niche even as far as comics fans are concerned.

Wan can absolutely write his own ticket at Warner Bros. right now, so I hope he chooses wisely. He's still not signed on for the Aquaman sequel, so I'm sure Warners will try to lock that in, but I bet if he all of a sudden made noises about wanting to direct a Superman movie, Warners would immediately issue a press release talking about how much they love and adore Henry Cavill and any press speculation to the contrary was fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I posted in my 2019 Comic Book Movie thread that DC Animated is putting out a Justice League vs. The Fatal Five animated movie.

Maybe this is a way to begin the process of introducing the Legion and its world to the general public -- or at least stoke the demand for Legion material in the comic book audience and then hope that it filters out beyond that.

Then, down the road, I'd like to see Wan take a crack at the Legion. However, the Legion really does have to be done carefully. It needs to be a hit from the get-go or else Warners will be gunshy about the property ever making a reappearance outside comics.

I do think that Wan is one of a few directors that has a reasonably good shot at making the Legion a household name.
    I'd take an animated Legion movie, over nothing, as long as it was in the theatre. That may be a good way to do it, but an animated film would have many of the same recognition problems as if they just went ahead with a live action version.

So I would prefer live action with a fair amount of humor, and really embracing the ridiculous beauty of the Legion. After Aquaman and Shazam (assuming both are hits), WB may be more inclined to do DC like DC is supposed to be. And there is no better way to do that than going to one of the glorious team books - Legion, JSA, etc.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I can't believe I just thought of this, but I think if DC/Warners really wants to revive interest in the DCEU, they should see if James Wan wants to direct a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie (not just a JL Dark spinoff).

I like Aquaman as a character and as a movie, but the reality is that if Wan can take Aquaman and turn it into a billion dollar property (essentially an example of cinematic alchemy), then there really is nothing he can't do.

Just imagine (to quote a DC phrase), James Wan directing a big, colorful, (and, yes, wonderfully bloated) Justice League epic! I think even Kevin Tsujihara would let it run over two hours.

If Wan did do a JL movie, would you want to see him follow up on the idea of the Justice League vs. the Legion of Doom (or Injustice League -- whatever Snyder was going to call it) or go in a completely new direction?

Given that we already have Luthor, Black Manta, and, soon, the Cheetah in the DCEU, Legion of Doom might actually be doable.

I like Aquaman as a character and as a movie, but the reality is that if Wan can take Aquaman and turn it into a billion dollar property (essentially an example of cinematic alchemy), then there really is nothing he can't do.
    I think that's jumping the gun, I'm not saying that Aquaman was bad but they're were factors which helped it reach the 1 billion mark.To when it was released (time of year) and where first (it being released in China first, where it had little to no competition). To Wan being belove in China and the actors. By the time it was released in the USA the hype train was in full swing.

I say make him do the sequel and wait to see how Shazam does. So the people in charge of DCEU can determine what to do with the universe.

Retired

They better make a movie about THE SPECTRE soon, before Marvel gets a jump on them and makes a movie about THE SCEPTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I think that's jumping the gun, I'm not saying that Aquaman was bad but they're were factors which helped it reach the 1 billion mark.To when it was released (time of year) and where first (it being released in China first, where it had little to no competition). To Wan being belove in China and the actors. By the time it was released in the USA the hype train was in full swing.

I say make him do the sequel and wait to see how Shazam does. So the people in charge of DCEU can determine what to do with the universe.
    Well, given that the next James Wan DCEU movie is at least 2-3 years away even if they start filming later this year, I think doing Justice League rather than another Aquaman is a great way to revive interest in many DC heroes at once. It would also give Henry Cavill another shot at Superman without the risk of doing a solo Superman movie.

Once JL is a billion dollar hit, THEN let's see a solo Superman vs. Brainiac movie by Wan. If we wait too long to do anythiing with Superman, we're gonna lose Cavill and Warners would have to take the time to find a new movie Superman.

Other than maybe Armie Hammer, I don't know who could fit the bill, and I'd rather stick with Cavill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    They better make a movie about THE SPECTRE soon, before Marvel gets a jump on them and makes a movie about THE SCEPTER.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Spectre movie, but as I said earlier in the thread, I don't know if Warners will want to "waste" Han on a film that would likely not be a tentpole.

Whatever movie Han does next will take a few years from inception to release, and if the Spectre is a niche film, then it would be about 6 years from now before Warners gets their next Wan blockbuster. I can't see them okaying that. They need to keep the DCEU mega hits coming and not derail things now that the ship has been righted.

Whoever does do a Spectre movie should take their cues from the Michael Fleisher/Jim Aparo Adventure Comics run or the John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake solo series.

Well, given that the next James Wan DCEU movie is at least 2-3 years away even if they start filming later this year, I think doing Justice League rather than another Aquaman is a great way to revive interest in many DC heroes at once. It would also give Henry Cavill another shot at Superman without the risk of doing a solo Superman movie.

Once JL is a billion dollar hit, THEN let's see a solo Superman vs. Brainiac movie by Wan. If we wait too long to do anythiing with Superman, we're gonna lose Cavill and Warners would have to take the time to find a new movie Superman.

Other than maybe Armie Hammer, I don't know who could fit the bill, and I'd rather stick with Cavill.
    I thought the Supergirl movie was going to use Brainiac as the villain. Seems rather redundant to put Brainiac in a Superman movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I thought the Supergirl movie was going to use Brainiac as the villain. Seems rather redundant to put Brainiac in a Superman movie too.
    I think any Supergirl movie is just another Warner Bros announcement that may likely never happen like most of their announcements. Has the Supergirl movie gone beyond the rumor stage?

My vote for Brainiac's first time on the big screen is for him to fight his actual nemesis, Superman.