Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    The fact that golden age thinkers are still shitting on Harper despite her being retired for a while now is interesting to me. It's almost like it's not about there being anything actually "wrong" with these characters. Hmm
    Golden age thinkers?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    The fact that golden age thinkers are still shitting on Harper despite her being retired for a while now is interesting to me. It's almost like it's not about there being anything actually "wrong" with these characters. Hmm
    Harper was a bad character that stole what was suposed to be a tribute to Robin. I am extremely resentful against this character, we may had actually gotten good interactions between them if they didnt insist with pushing the crap that was this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Harper was a bad character that stole what was suposed to be a tribute to Robin. I am extremely resentful against this character, we may had actually gotten good interactions between them if they didnt insist with pushing the crap that was this character.
    Harper was created during an important time for Robin's history while most of the other Robins were sidelined. Dick was basically dead and she came in wearing a version of his Nightwing costume and she was supposedly so great without anything really done with her character besides her brother.

Didn't she solo Mr. Freeze? God that was dumb.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Mad Hatter. He hypnotized the rest of the Batfam. Not a stretch because she's been established as an engineer from the start.

I actually kind of liked Harper and was interested in her friendship with Cass, but I also stopped reading B&R Eternal because I lost interest quickly. That wouldn't have been the case if it really had been about the Robins, which is what you'd expect. I did like the Mother villain. I wouldn't mind seeing her done again in a better story.

Personally, I think every character in the bat-mythos speaks to some reader on some level, whether the character is old or new. I recognize that my favourite character isn't enjoyed by everyone, but I'd be mortified if I opened up a book next week and found out that a writer killed them. In fact, I think any fan would be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Infinityphoenix View Post
    Personally, I think every character in the bat-mythos speaks to some reader on some level, whether the character is old or new. I recognize that my favourite character isn't enjoyed by everyone, but I'd be mortified if I opened up a book next week and found out that a writer killed them. In fact, I think any fan would be.
    I'm not in favor of killing heroic characters, particularly kids. If you don't want to use them in a book, mothball them.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm not in favor of killing heroic characters, particularly kids. If you don't want to use them in a book, mothball them.
    Yeah, wtf did Tim die again?

I get that Damian's death was always planned by Morrison, but even including that I think that Jason should be the only dead Robin. Dick shouldn't have "died" even if it did give us Grayson *Grayson would have been even more compelling in some ways if Dick intentionally faked his death). Tim dying just felt dumb as well.

BANNED

Sell a couple more funnybooks for shock value.

Retiring Harper pretty much immediately after B&R:E just made what they did with her, and even Cass, in B&R:E worse. They literally used Robin’s anniversary to push them for ultimately nothing. Nothing came from it. Harper rode off into the sunset, Cass was now just around to be around, and non of the Robins or Batman got anything out of it because for the most part they were after thoughts. In fact the side story about Batman and Robin just undermined Batman and Robin. It was not good, and Harper just became more of a target thanks to it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Exactly, sometimes not hearing about a character is a good. I do think that heroes don't stay gone for long, whether they die or retire, that they'll inevitably be brought back into a story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Retiring Harper pretty much immediately after B&R:E just made what they did with her, and even Cass, in B&R:E worse. They literally used Robin’s anniversary to push them for ultimately nothing. Nothing came from it. Harper rode off into the sunset, Cass was now just around to be around, and non of the Robins or Batman got anything out of it because for the most part they were after thoughts. In fact the side story about Batman and Robin just undermined Batman and Robin. It was not good, and Harper just became more of a target thanks to it.
    Good summary of why I hated b&r eternal. I don't know what tynion was thinking. Harper always felt like his self insert character.

Everyone had to act like an idiot to let her shine and save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Good summary of why I hated b&r eternal. I don't know what tynion was thinking. Harper always felt like his self insert character.

Everyone had to act like an idiot to let her shine and save the day.
    You mean Tim Drake.
    Harper is female Tim. They are cut from the same cloth

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You mean Tim Drake.
    Harper is female Tim. They are cut from the same cloth
    Actually, I think Harper could be a bit brasher/ballsier than Tim was . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, I think Harper could be a bit brasher/ballsier than Tim was . . .
    Harper feels like a waste. After the push she got I was expecting more. There were these rumours she was going to return in Tec but we got what we got.

Wasted opportunities. I'm not happy with what they did with BR but you've already come this far and undermined all these excellent characters why not do something grand with Harper.

I didn't mind Harper under Synder. Tynion killed her.