Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should there be more Amazon tribes?

Just saw Aquaman with it's multiple kingdoms, and that made me wonder, should the same thing happen to the Amazons? We have the Bana-Mighdall, but could there be, say, Valkyries? Any other female warrior groups in history? Original ones, like, say, Aztec Amazons?

That would be a cool way to expand the WW mythos. They already have the set up to establish one for Asia, Latin America and Africa, so it works.

Deliah and her Amazons in China (Asia), Maria and her Amazons in Peru (Latin America), the Bana-Mighdall in Egypt (Africa), who I feel Nubia should lead. I'm all for it!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I think somehow all the Amazons in our world should have some respectful and when it comes to it they will band together and fight.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Yes, also there should also be a tribe of Amazons who left Earth to explore Space The Final Frontier.

Not necessarily. We have the Bana-Mighdall, which already suffers from poor characterisation and underdevelopment, and the current Wonder Woman storyline hasn't given much room to explore Themyscira either. To add another one seems foolish under those circumstances.

Second, having Greek-themed Amazons, Egyptian-themed Amazons, Chinese-themed Amazons and so on will easily make them into the equivalent of Planets of Hats (TVTropes).

I'd say that any new Amazon group would need a clear mandate for existing that makes it ideologically different from the existing one, and I'm already not happy with the "man-hating" reason that the Bana-Mighdall got sadddled with.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not necessarily. We have the Bana-Mighdall, which already suffers from poor characterisation and underdevelopment, and the current Wonder Woman storyline hasn't given much room to explore Themyscira either. To add another one seems foolish under those circumstances.

Second, having Greek-themed Amazons, Egyptian-themed Amazons, Chinese-themed Amazons and so on will easily make them into the equivalent of Planets of Hats (TVTropes).

I'd say that any new Amazon group would need a clear mandate for existing that makes it ideologically different from the existing one, and I'm already not happy with the "man-hating" reason that the Bana-Mighdall got sadddled with.
    I'm inclined to agree. (And side note, I love it when TV Tropes can be brought into any discussion.)

Maybe oddly (maybe not), the first thing that popped into my head reading this thread is "been there, done that" with expansion of all the Corps and their symbology in the Green Lantern universe. My mind goes to a writer establishing different clandestine civilizations of Amazons and having them be similarly symbolic of something in particular that clashes with or melds well with the existing Themysciran or Bana-Mighdall Amazons themes.

I guess I'd rather see A) more development and characterization of the Themysciran and Bana-Mighdall Amazons and their societies (instead of piling on new secret civilizations) and B) more development of other established Wonder concepts and their skirmishes with Diana and the Amazons. For example, instead of seeing new South American or Antarctican Amazons, I'd rather see the Amazon and Valkyrie showdown I've always wanted (Odyssey of the Amazons doesn't count and bring back Gundra/Gudra!) or a conflict between the Amazons and Venturians (bring back Queen Clea!)

It could work, but only if its in the hands of someone willing to make the effort. And goodness knows the potential is there.
    Merge the golden age Amazons of China with the Sun Empire and your halfway there with them.

The Bana and the Amazons of the Amazon are trickier to make distinct from one another, especially with recent events by Orlando. But potential is certainly there to make something work.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    That would be a cool way to expand the WW mythos. They already have the set up to establish one for Asia, Latin America and Africa, so it works.

Deliah and her Amazons in China (Asia), Maria and her Amazons in Peru (Latin America), the Bana-Mighdall in Egypt (Africa), who I feel Nubia should lead. I'm all for it!
    Pretty much sums it up for me, too!

The problem is in defining what makes them Amazons, but different from those on Paradise Island.

Bana-Migdall are a splinter faction, but it'd be kinda weird having multiple splinter factions all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The problem is in defining what makes them Amazons, but different from those on Paradise Island.

Bana-Migdall are a splinter faction, but it'd be kinda weird having multiple splinter factions all over the world.
    Have them all follow their respective pantheon's Goddesses of Love. The Bana follow Hathor, the Valkyrie's follow Freya, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

Hmm...Not sure how practical it would be, but could establish these factions all splintering off at different points. If one keeps the 'no Amazon may return to live on Paradise Island if they leave but they may visit' thing. Could have the ones from China maintaining their golden age origin of fleeing eastward when Hercules invaded, having never made the journey to the island.
    Could have a band of them spiteful of the islands ways and choosing to leave, forming a nomadic group.
    Could even have a third group who leave the island to stave off a great crisis and unable to return home, wind up settling somewhere in the world.

Not if it's done like in The Odyssey of the Amazons, where every strong woman in the world is somehow an Amazon without knowing it.

Diversity is healthy, and having several tribes of peoples with different values and beliefs, sometimes only female, sometimes mixed with men, would be better than "all the women in isolated areas are Amazons".

Could be cool but you’d need to put in a ton of time and effort in establishing each one as a distinct group. That takes time, and I’m not sure if the current market could support a long-term initiative like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Could be cool but you’d need to put in a ton of time and effort in establishing each one as a distinct group. That takes time, and I’m not sure if the current market could support a long-term initiative like that.
    It could if we were talking a secondary book focused specifically on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Not if it's done like in The Odyssey of the Amazons, where every strong woman in the world is somehow an Amazon without knowing it.

Diversity is healthy, and having several tribes of peoples with different values and beliefs, sometimes only female, sometimes mixed with men, would be better than "all the women in isolated areas are Amazons".
    That wasn't how Odyssey of the Amazons did it. We had non-Amazon women warriors like the Valkyries.