Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yes, it very much is. For all we know this Jon could be better. I'm not saying I expect it, I'm just saying everyone's exaggerating how much of a sin this actually is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's probably been mentioned, but the end of Doomsday Clock. Its end and the revival of both LSH and JSA would do wonders for my buying of DC Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's probably been mentioned, but the end of Doomsday Clock. Its end and the revival of both LSH and JSA would do wonders for my buying of DC Comics.
    Of course, we have to see if / how / when any "revival" of the LSH and the JSA is (mis-)handled . . .

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think people just hate on Bendis because of his reputation, which he really only developed through Avengers. Bendis has struggled with "big" things and now it's an easy dig to just attack Bendis wholesale. But he does tend to excel on smaller things, especially teenagers. Ultimate Spider-Man only started to get bad after he had written over 100 issues, and then he course corrected after Miles showed up. Can't really blame a guy for losing steam on one character after 100 issues.
    It's not JUST his reputation. I have tried Bendis many time, including early issues of that Ultimate Spider-Man, which is supposed to be so good. I was put off by them, and didn't see any excelling.

That said, I am holding my nose and dipping my toes into a few DC things.
    - I bought two issues of Superman so far. I liked the first one. The second one was a little shaky.
    - I bought Cover, because I LOVE David Mack's comics, and I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    It's not JUST his reputation.
    It is tho.

It's also a popular thing to shit on his writing, him as a person, and any and all his creations.

I have tried Bendis many time, including early issues of that Ultimate Spider-Man, which is supposed to be so good. I was put off by them, and didn't see any excelling.
    How long will it take you realize you just don't like Bendis writing style.

When will some people realize that you're not gonna like every writer's writing style and it has nothing to do with whether they are actually good and in fact has more to do with your taste, you also might find a writer's writing style only works in a particular genre for you ...hell, half of the hate most writers get has to do with people feeling personally affronted when a writer doesn't do something a fan perceives as positive for their fave character and as a result they will hate that writer forever.

That said, I am holding my nose and dipping my toes into a few DC things.
    - I bought two issues of Superman so far. I liked the first one. The second one was a little shaky.
    - I bought Cover, because I LOVE David Mack's comics, and I liked it.
    You don't need to hold your breath if you're just dipping your toes into something.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm behind on Superman but hasn't Jon only just returned to the book, like last issue? I know he aged him up - something that I'm not overly happy about - but isn't it too soon to write off that particular development.
    The thing is that Bendis' problems with Jon go way back from his original Man of Steel miniseries where for some reason that nobody can explain, he was suddenly portrayed as an insecure kid who got traumatized because the Teen Titans rejected him of all things which goes completely against how Peter Tomasi depicted the whole situation in the first place. In fact, the differences between both Bendis' Jon and Tomasi's Jon became pretty jarring once that you started comparing their respective appearances in Superman and Super Sons, Bendis' Jon is an overly-emotional, prompt to throw tantrums brat while Tomasi's Jon is an innocent, kind and fun kid.

And that is without mentioning that Bendis is turning him into a teenager now which goes so much against his original premise that it shouldn't be a surprise in context.

Most excited for:
    Conclusion of Doomsday Clock so we can get on with the return of the Legion and JSA.

Shazam title getting underway (off to a good start)

The upcoming Young Justice title.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    . . . You don't need to hold your breath if you're just dipping your toes into something.
    It depends on what you're dipping your toes into and how that substance smells.

Actually, on second thought this is taking the thread off-topic, too big a drift.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-26-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

I can't wait for the new Swamp Thing TV series. The streaming service isn't available to me since I don't live in the USA, but surely it'll eventually become available elsewhere? DC does know they have fans in other countries don't they?

Spectacular Member

I am excited to see is the stargirl show and the shazam series. Hopefully courtney will return to comics in 2019

Nothing really.

Astonishing Member

JLO, The Outsiders, and Shazam are my top three. DC is REALLY hitting out of the park with JLO and Shazam, and it's the first time I've been very invested in DC Books in a while. I'm also looking forward to see what Bendis is doing with Val Zod (I'm presuming it would be some time 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Of course, we have to see if / how / when any "revival" of the LSH and the JSA is (mis-)handled . . .
    The overwhelming majority of us are well aware that comics can either be good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The overwhelming majority of us are well aware that comics can either be good or bad.
    Yeah, but I get plenty of grief every time I remind people not to get their hopes up when it comes to the JSA and DC's track record of mistakes in the past.

(I still remember when everybody was bitchin' over how I kept pointing out that just because Bleeding Cool was saying the JSA was coming back in their own series in 2017 wasn't a guarantee that it would actually happen as people assumed it would!)