Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

I'm better on him breaking the helmet and easing up once he knows it's her and that's how he loses. So far she she has gotten on surprise attacks and speed rushing.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I'm better on him breaking the helmet and easing up once he knows it's her and that's how he loses. So far she she has gotten on surprise attacks and speed rushing.
    Nah. I think Thor will get stomped by super Carol after she tanks one hit with Mjolnir.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Well

spoilers:
    rip thor. Thank you murdercarol
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Well

spoilers:
    rip thor. Thank you murdercarol
    end of spoilers
    Gee, who could have predicted It?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Default The Death of Jobber Thor

LMAO! The only good thing about this drek is that Thor, God of Jobbers, has been finally put out of his (and ours) misery, so he can become the badass God of Thunder again under Cates. I knew Carol was going to win this one.

The saga of Jobber Thor started in 2014, when Aaron turned the Odinson into a boorish and dimwitted fratboy who projected his self-Worth into Mjolnir to the point he lost all of his dignity and confidence the moment the hammer was given to his former love interest Jane Foster. Which contradicted pretty much all the moments where Thor has shown to be a badass and confident hero even without Mjolnir. (check out the moment when he used his bare hands to drag the planet sized Midgard Serpent away from Earth and the ''Mjolnir was just a tool'' speech he did during the Ragnarok story)

ragnarok godblast.jpg

I hope Cates saves Thor from the angsty deconstructed hero rabbit hole and the Worf Effect rabbit hole.

#RememberThor #NotmyThor
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-01-2019 at 04:34 AM.

BANNED

The over-reliance on that damn hammer is what drove me crazy. Aarons Thor as you said projected all his self-worth on that hammer. It's like his hammer presented his penis and him losing it was presented as him literally being emasculated. Especially since it was later on owned by a woman lol. I dunno if i am reading too much into this, but i could swear it's like Aaron just wanted to ruin Thor anyway he could.

One thing i hope Cates does not do is have Thor overly rely or center his entire existence around the hammer, which i have some fears he might do, he seems to put a lot of weight into the hammer as well, especially when it came out of nowhere when Surfer used it against Thanos.

you should have read the recent Avengers chapter.

terrible, just terrible.

btw, I thought Thor losing to Carol was bad but it seems he might be resurrected and hence he will get a new look which is great.

Fantastic Member

Good luck, Cates loves Aaron's Thor.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    The over-reliance on that damn hammer is what drove me crazy. Aarons Thor as you said projected all his self-worth on that hammer. It's like his hammer presented his penis and him losing it was presented as him literally being emasculated. Especially since it was later on owned by a woman lol. I dunno if i am reading too much into this, but i could swear it's like Aaron just wanted to ruin Thor anyway he could.

One thing i hope Cates does not do is have Thor overly rely or center his entire existence around the hammer, which i have some fears he might do, he seems to put a lot of weight into the hammer as well, especially when it came out of nowhere when Surfer used it against Thanos.
    I don't know, I tend to agree with Odin that Thor really isn't the be-all, end-all without the hammer. He's certainly more powerful than he's been shown to be without Mjolnir, but make no mistake -- that hammer is to Thor what a long rifle, sidearm and grenades are to a soldier. Dare walk onto the battlefield without them and 9 times out of 10, you're probably getting sized up for a body bag within the hour. Mjolnir is not "just a tool", it contains the full measure of the power of Thor. Says so on the inscription. Blame wise Odin.

I don't agree necessarily with Aaron's depiction of Thor, because I felt that version of Thor had been covered and addressed decades ago. He's no longer some irresponsible, bratty man-child getting by on his Father's name or the trappings of Asgard. But I suppose Aaron decided that version of Odinson needed to be refreshed for the new generation of fans and readers.

That said, I also suspect Aaron was parroting the complaints of devout Thor fans who were upset with him relinquishing the hammer in the first place. Perhaps his portrayal of Thor was like holding up a mirror to that contingent of Thor's base? Just a hunch.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Perhaps his portrayal of Thor was like holding up a mirror to that contingent of Thor's base. Just a hunch.
    oof .

Incredible Member

I'm looking forward to Cate's take on Thor. I didn't mind Aaron's run initially but I feel like he was on the book too long and it went off the rails. But yeah, for the most part I agree, good riddance jobber Thor!

I suppose the writer doesn't see the irony in having Carol kill Thor. They're basically reflections of the same role but from separate eras. At least Thor was an interesting character back then.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I don't know, I tend to agree with Odin that Thor really isn't the be-all, end-all without the hammer. He's certainly more powerful than he's been shown to be without Mjolnir, but make no mistake -- that hammer is to Thor what a long rifle, sidearm and grenades are to a soldier. Dare walk onto the battlefield without them and 9 times out of 10, you're probably getting sized up for a body bag within the hour. Mjolnir is not "just a tool", it contains the full measure of the power of Thor. Says so on the inscription. Blame wise Odin.
    I'm not a huge thor fan but I'm pretty sure thats NOT how it worked. Even without it he didn't disappear or turn into a mortal. The donald black saga ended what? Like the 70's? Not sure.

I'm almost certain the hammer "ISN'T" like a rifle to a soldier, that would be HORRIBLE, but I gotta admit. I don't have the receipts. I just vaguely remember him pwn'ing people without the hammer. Anybody?

I don't agree necessarily with Aaron's depiction of Thor, because I felt that version of Thor had been covered and addressed decades ago. He's no longer some irresponsible, bratty man-child getting by on his Father's name or the trappings of Asgard. But I suppose Aaron decided that version of Odinson needed to be refreshed for the new generation of fans and readers.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

That said, I also suspect Aaron was parroting the complaints of devout Thor fans who were upset with him relinquishing the hammer in the first place. Perhaps his portrayal of Thor was like holding up a mirror to that contingent of Thor's base? Just a hunch.
    ----BUUUUURRRRNNNNN---- that would be petty as hell for writer to pull, but ... writers are known to be clever.

Funny thing... if that was the case, the devout fans just kept right on buying it. Smh. Wild.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I'm not a huge thor fan but I'm pretty sure thats NOT how it worked. Even without it he didn't disappear or turn into a mortal. The donald black saga ended what? Like the 70's? Not sure.

I'm almost certain the hammer "ISN'T" like a rifle to a soldier, that would be HORRIBLE, but I gotta admit. I don't have the receipts. I just vaguely remember him pwn'ing people without the hammer. Anybody?

That actually makes a lot of sense.

----BUUUUURRRRNNNNN---- that would be petty as hell for writer to pull, but ... writers are known to be clever.

Funny thing... if that was the case, the devout fans just kept right on buying it. Smh. Wild.
    Walt Simonson removed Blake from the equation early in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

That's true to an extent in pure mono y mono barehanded combat Thor is noticeably less potent then say Hercules.

But he's still in the top ten of Bricks of the Marvel Universe, and their is no reason why he can't just slot in another weapon.

If a soldier's rifle breaks he gets another. Which Thor did get with that axe he had for awhile, but he was still a Jobber.