Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Drinking a lot and being an alcoholic are two different things.

Thor has always enjoyed a good celebration. Anyone who's followed him knows that.

But he has always had the ability to prioritize, the address important matters first and foremost, and when the matter is confirmed as settled, great feast, mead, etc.
    Eh, it's the constant obsession with humanizing him and desperately trying to make him "relatable." From speech pattern to actions to reactions to emphasizing or outright embellishing character flaws.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Eh, it's the constant obsession with humanizing him and desperately trying to make him "relatable." From speech pattern to actions to reactions to emphasizing or outright embellishing character flaws.
    That's the problem with most comic authors since the Quesada era. None of them likes writing about larger than life fantasy characters.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Walt Simonson and Michael Von Oeming are by far the best Thor writers imo. I'd add Keiron Gillen to the list but he is more of a Loki writer. Jurgens and JMS were decent. Defalco was a hit and miss imo.
    Modern Thor quickly went downhill after JMS and Gillen left.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    You sound delighted.
    That's what worries me about this ''Love and Thunder'', that It will bring back the unstoppable flawless Jane Fosthor at full force while Jobber Thor (aka Jobhor aka Slowdinson aka Drunken Thor) will be Thor's default charactisation until the death of the western comic book industry.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    That's what worries me about this ''Love and Thunder'', that It will bring back the unstoppable flawless Jane Fosthor at full force while Jobber Thor (aka Jobhor aka Slowdinson aka Drunken Thor) will be Thor's default charactisation until the death of the western comic book industry.
    I expect Jane-Thor will be back again as the main, or only, Thor in the comics about the time the movie premieres.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    I expect Jane-Thor will be back again as the main, or only, Thor in the comics about the time the movie premieres.
    And that will be the moment i'll stop following Marvel for good.

Few things are more frustrating than sinergy.

Jason Aaron is basically Bendis 2.0

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

And that will be the moment i'll stop following Marvel for good.

Few things are more frustrating than sinergy.

Jason Aaron is basically Bendis 2.0
    Do you honestly think so? Aaron is fairly mediocre but he at least puts out some pretty solid work like his current Conan run and the God Butcher arc was great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Do you honestly think so? Aaron is fairly mediocre but he at least puts out some pretty solid work like his current Conan run and the God Butcher arc was great.
    I mean Bendis used to be great too, his Daredevil run was amazing. Most of his runs that revolve around street level characters tend to be great, which is why fans are complaining about his Superman.

He's more suited for gritty street level characters and he writes fantasy and cosmic characters like they are characters from a dark police drama, complete with swears words. And alters lore and continuity to make his stories work. That sound similar to Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I mean Bendis used to be great too, his Daredevil run was amazing. Most of his runs that revolve around street level characters tend to be great, which is why fans are complaining about his Superman.
    And his GOTG run was pure garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    And that's just it, Bendis prefers street level characters because they're more believable to him.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Jane (Thor) was Aaron's Mary Sue, even to long established powerhouse characters like Odin and Thor.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Jane (Thor) was Aaron's Mary Sue, even to long established powerhouse characters like Odin and Thor.
    Don't see what that has to do with my post. Are you saying he's a bad writer for making a Mary Sue?

He's more suited for gritty street level characters and he writes fantasy and cosmic characters like they are characters from a dark police drama, complete with swears words. And alters lore and continuity to make his stories work. That sound similar to Bendis.
    Your analogy still doesn't work. Bendis' latest attempt at street-level was Leviathan and that was strait trash. Sure, he wrote DD well at one point in the past but I seriously doubt he'd do well these days.

And he had Odin being wounded by random mooks of Malekith.

Don't see what that has to do with my post. Are you saying he's a bad writer for making a Mary Sue?

Your analogy still doesn't work. Bendis' latest attempt at street-level was Leviathan and that was strait trash. Sure, he wrote DD well at one point in the past but I seriously doubt he'd do well these days.
    Aaron doesn't have the Mamet-esque speech pattern that Bendis gives to all characters but they still have plenty in common.