Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default The tragedy of Jobber Thor

''Are you Thor god of jobbers?''

Someone needs to tell Marvel editorial and Writers that you don't have to nerf heroes, forget their past feats, and turn them into complete pushovers in order to teach them humility.

This is not the real Thor to me. This is a clone created by Odin in order to test the abilities of possible allies and foes in a future battle against the Death god Walker. He's a Thorosi.

#RememberThor #NotmyThor
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 09-19-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: rude

Well never mind. You don’t agree with what Marvel are doing but they know exactly what they are doing so they really don’t need telling anything. Some of us are equally enthusiastic that Thor is just fine as he is in current comics and frankly some people that criticise don’t actually seem to be particularly knowledgeable of the history of Thor.

BANNED

Ever since he came to write Thor, Jason Aaron felt more like throwing away all of Thor’s legacy to make his story work.

High end characters in earth bound team settings do tend to be jobbed a bit.

But yeah... Thor just isn't quite the same without his classic hammer.

thankfully I stopped buying thor many years ago. Since Disney took over marvel is a mess. The only good comics that resemble the marvel previous to the buy out are those that disney has no interest (yet) to turn them into a movie or tv show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    High end characters in earth bound team settings do tend to be jobbed a bit.

But yeah... Thor just isn't quite the same without his classic hammer.
    Or sometimes with it.

While his feats in his own new book have been pretty damn impressive, it only took five minutes spending time with Jane Foster in an Aaron written book to see the him go from All-Father To dude-in-distress
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or sometimes with it.

While his feats in his own new book have been pretty damn impressive, it only took five minutes spending time with Jane Foster in an Aaron written book to see the him go from All-Father To dude-in-distress
    worst thing is, Jane will fight OF Thor with this black stuff amping him

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Ever since he came to write Thor, Jason Aaron felt more like throwing away all of Thor’s legacy to make his story work.
    And he's writing the Avengers like complete garbage children.

I think it's a given that a team's strongest member is usually going to job a lot, but it does seem like Thor has been getting beat up a lot these days, either in his own books, guest appearances, or on his team book.

In contrast I don't recall Waid writing Jane as getting walloped in his Avengers all that often. She was usually the team powerhouse alongside Vision.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by linda2000 View Post
    People are saying Wiccan is the breakout star from Young Avengers and... God, I wish lol. Kate Bishop it's the real one. She had a bunch of duo/solo books regularly for a while and after that got cancelled she soon enough got on a team book that she's the leader of(with a cast that includes: Her best friend, her boyfriend and her mentor/partner). Meanwhile, Billy has only been in one book since the last volume of Young Avengers, that has been cancelled since 2016.
    I like wiccan a lot

But I agree, Kate has a much higher profile imo

I haven't read a comic in quite some time, so I'm not here to comment on any specific narrative or story, but the last time I did was Aaron's run on Thor, and while it was entertaining in parts I just noticed that he (and Marvel in general) wants to tell a human story using mythological/magical/superhuman characters. Whereas other writers take on Thor (or any other powerful character) seeking to write a story about Asgardian characters. It's one thing to inject human or humanistic elements in a fantasy adventure story, it's another to treat said characters as basically regular people who happen to have powers. It's how I feel about movie Thor as well. He doesn't seem like a mystical space god with crazy powers, but rather a goofball frat boy who happens to be a powerful alien. I think Aaron mostly built his run off of Matt Fraction's previous work. Fraction sort of turned Thor and Odin into brutish and thuggish boors with deep issues, whereas JMS' Thor was a slightly modernized take on classical Thor. Similar proper speech pattern (not quite Shakespearean), quite powerful and examining the meaning of Asgardian godhood among humans. Only issue I had was bringing Asgard to Earth at the time, though we'll never know how JMS would have concluded his first arc and where he would've taken Thor afterward. Everything after 2007 has made me really appreciate Dan Jurgens' quite excellent run on Thor from 1998-2004 that often gets overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2000 View Post
    People are saying Wiccan is the breakout star from Young Avengers and... God, I wish lol. Kate Bishop it's the real one.
    Wolverine is a breakout star. Deadpool is a breakout star. Kate Bishop is just a character that popular writers like for reasons that escape me. How did this character become the Young Avenger to get all these comic appearances, when she has the least interesting origin, look and skills? Yeah, I know Hawkeye uses a bow and arrow as well but the character is a master at it and was trained by Cap in hand to hand combat over a number of years.

Kate Bishop is Roy Harper, but not the Red Arrow or Arsenal version of Roy. Kate Bishop is Roy back when he was Speedy right before the horrible downfall.

Yeah, I said it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Wolverine is a breakout star. Deadpool is a breakout star. Kate Bishop is just a character that popular writers like for reasons that escape me. How did this character become the Young Avenger to get all these comic appearances, when she has the least interesting origin, look and skills? Yeah, I know Hawkeye uses a bow and arrow as well but the character is a master at it and was trained by Cap in hand to hand combat over a number of years.

Kate Bishop is Roy Harper, but not the Red Arrow or Arsenal version of Roy. Kate Bishop is Roy back when he was Speedy right before the horrible downfall.

Yeah, I said it.
    Kate gained interest in Fractions Clinton Barton Hawkeye book when he somewhat openly turned the title into a Kate Bishop book. After that each new title that seemed to be about Clint was really about Kate. It was a bait and switch type marketing ploy but it seemed to work...Kate has her fanbase.

I'm not sure you could call her a breakout star since it was built relatively slowly but she has her place for the demographic Marvel is trying to sell to with her.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-29-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Yeah, I said it.
    Kates probably just easier to write/use, Billys power is ridiculous, most people probably don't wanna see Teddy without Wiccan. Eli's trapped in legal nonsense so that really just leaves Tommy and Cassie.

I think she's more Mia then Roy, if Mia came from a rich family and didn't actually want to be a sidekick.

Actually, she's more of an Emiko.