Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    This was announced alongside Ewing's GoTG, which features reborn Olympians who are now more 'metaphorical' beings that represent their true selves. Maybe this new design ties into that.
    Ewing GOTG!? This is the best news ever.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    No sarcasm i genuinely like the design. Sephiroth Thor rules.
    Ahahahah. Never really liked Final Fantasy. Zero roleplaying involved, you're always a human kid with goofy hair who must save the world. Western RPGs for life.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Ewing GOTG!? This is the best news ever.
    It appears to be part of this new initiative that has been slowly developing over the last couple of years to place key writers in overview positions beside the editors. So it seems like Ewing has all of Marvel Cosmic under his world-building gaze. Or as he put it in NYCC “universe building”, “space books” and “a cast of Billions.”

I am sure you will be happy to know he is bringing Rich Rider into his plans in a big way.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-06-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It appears to be part of this new initiative that has been slowly developing over the last couple of years to place key writers in overview positions beside the editors. So it seems like Ewing has all of Marvel Cosmic under his world-building gaze. Or as he put it in NYCC “universe building”, “space books” and “a cast of Billions.”

I am sure you will be happy to know he is bringing Rich Rider into his plans in a big way.
    Oh yeah. Ewing is the savior of Marvel Cosmic after Bendis, Loeb and Alonso ruined it.

Have you read my thoughts on Thanos Rising?

Spectacular Member

The run is about as subtle as a kick to the groin.

Basically other gods have done bad things so ALL gods are horrible, Especially since they haven't solved every problem ever.

Also, girl-power.
    Best post in the thread. Just wanted to note that.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    We're forgetting about the character assassination of Death? Seriously, she doesn't talk to Thanos for the entirety of Infinity Gauntlet, but she chats up a storm when he's young. What the hell?
    Regarding Thanos Rising, i don't think the dumbing down of Thanos and Death Is entirely Aaron's fault. It's pretty obvious the editors wanted to make Thanks a more creepy and violent villain with none of the character development post-gauntlet and Death a more malevolent entity as to make their relationship less complicated.

However, i do agree with HaveAtThee that Aaron has this tendency of writing powerful fantasy characters steeped in fanciful mythology like they are modern day americans. He's a competent writer who suffers from a lack of imagination. He's mostly confortable writing with the tropes of gritty and violent pulp thrillers. This helps him writing characters like Wolverine and Punisher, because Wolvy and Puny are a big pastiche of said pulp thriller tropes. But the people of Titan and the Asgardians are not characters suited for a street level thriller story. If someone writes a origin story of Melkor where he is a high school kid with daddy issues and no powers who has the hobby of killing small animals and claim it to be totally canon with the Silmarillion, Tolkien's fans would tear that story apart, and rightly so.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-17-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    We already know exactly how his idea of worthiness relates to Thor. It's that Thor is still just as worthy as he always was, but is humble enough to still question that after being exposed to the concept of flawed gods. So that doubt makes him "unworthy" until he reaches a new height that he's already on his way to by Mangog. The story is about how he's already the best god, but now he believes he has to be better. That's the objective throughline of his arc over the entire run.

I can't think of a single person more screwed than whoever has to take over Thor next year. Well, maybe future X-Men writers. Marvel better pull out a cocaine-fueled Donny Cates clone who speaks loose Shakespearean by default.
    Hilarious in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ha! Now I want to see a recreation of this classic cover, with Kate, Clint and some third person doing the j'accuse.

As for 'jobber' Thor, it's felt like a classic heroic deconstruction, which was all the rage for the last few decades, and, so far, has taken way too damn long.

It's not yet progressed to the point of just about every other comic book heroic deconstruction, which seems to follow the same progression;
    1) new hot writer (who may or may not be a curmudgeonly misanthrope who resents the character for being more 'iconic' than his own indie stuff, or consider the whole notion of 'superheroes' to be juvenile and beneath him, but needs the money) shows up and drags hero down and 'breaks' them with the stated narrative goal of building them back up stronger than ever.
    2) new hot writer gets bored (or a better paying gig elsewhere) and leaves the hero muddied and broken, sailing off to ruin someone else's IP.
    3) next generation of readers wonder why anyone wants to read about this beat-up loser or considered them a 'hero' in the first place.

Jason hasn't abandoned the story yet, or 'wandered off,' so it's premature to say that his attempt at deconstruction has gone the way of all things, but precedent is not encouraging...

Due to the length that this story has taken, there might well be readers who have gotten into Marvel since he's been writing Thor, and think of him as a Falstaffian whiner, but that's always been the case, and for every one of them, I can think of fans who got into Marvel in the last decade and think that Tony Stark has 'always' been a snark machine or that Wanda Maximoff has always been a 'reality manipulator' or actual witch or whatever the hell she is this year.
    I think Infinity War put the kibosh on the idea that Thor is a beat up loser. Kinda like how the Aquaman movie with Khal Drogo put the kibosh on the image of Aquaman as a useless joke character that started with the Superfriends cartoon and made worse by Big Bang Theory and Robot Chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That Aaron had a plan, does not make it a good one. His plan was to tear down Thor, and then return his 'mantle' to him by default.

As for Dario, he doesn't work for several reasons.

First, in terms of general genre. Thor is an epic character of myth and legend. Larger than like stories are his life blood. Dario is the head of an evil corporation. Doesn't get much more down to earth than that.

Second, Dario's characterization is amazingly terrible. He's worse than any 80s cartoon villain. There's no meaningful contrast to be had, even if he really is a character of myth.

Third, in terms of internal logic, it simply does not work. When Lex fights Superman, Lex is protected by the fact that Superman has a secret ID and thus cannot testify to Luthor's crimes.

Thor does not have that issue. Thor has been an Avenger for decades. And no, swearing on a bible is not required to deliver testimony. All Sield should have to do is get a sworn statement and go from there.
    Well Supes has been a Justice Leaguer for many years and a beacon of hope for most of mankind,

Ultimate Member

Well Supes has been a Justice Leaguer for many years and a beacon of hope for most of mankind,
    Yeah, but he can't testify in open court unless he wants to reveal his ID.

Thor is an Avenger, with an established identity that can be proven by the government. He can walk into court and Dario can confront his accuser as is his constitutional right.

And as a Founding Avenger, Thor's words would carry some weight

Does anybody has something to say about Thor being jobbed by Carol Danvers, a character Who has always been a tad less powerful than Thor, in the new Captain Marvel issue?

Does anybody has something to say about Thor being jobbed by Carol Danvers, a character Who has always been a tad less powerful than Thor, in the new Captain Marvel issue?
    Issue is only gonna be out in a few days, or is he getting jobbed in the preview? Why are they even fighting?

Oh well, if Thor is there only to get jobbed, that happening to him is dime a dozen nowadays, he's now what J'onn was years ago at DC, that character who gets his ass kicked so someone else looks awesome, and that sucks.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.

BANNED

he's not being jobbed
    I've seen some art, he has somewhat of an upperhand initial surprise hit aside

Nevertheless, carol's power depends on how much energy she's absorbed: under normal circumstances she's nowhere near the guy, sure, but she can get in the general area with sufficient energy.

BANNED

lol i see some chan take on this being happy murdercarol gonna put aaronthor out of his misery

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    lol i see some chan take on this being happy murdercarol gonna put aaronthor out of OUR misery
    That's better. XD