Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Or rebranded as Thunderstrike like during the Defalco years.
    Right

And I should stress, this isn't saying the character change shouldn't happen, all the examples given have their merits

This is about book identity and about supporting new character growth and old character branding

Publishers are always trying to push a new character but imo using older mantles rarely works unless the branding of the book shows it's a new direction

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    while mortal Jane beats them solo and even wounds Minotaur who took serious punch from Thor.
    In the new Avengers issue, Brood Thor Is knocked out by an asteroid while Black Widow in Warmachine armor and She Hulk managed to defeat two heralds of Galactus.

LMAO!
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

In the new Avengers issue, Brood Thor Is knocked out by an asteroid while Black Widow in Warmachine armor and She Hulk managed to defeat two heralds of Galactus.

LMAO!
    And surfer needed to resort to using his board as a club to deal with blade and man thing mini

He used to face off against thanos and the like

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    And surfer needed to resort to using his board as a club to deal with blade and man thing mini

Honestly, I'd think that Silver Surfer being willing to kill someone simply because they have the starbrand and turning Firelord into yet another sexist strawman would raise more eyebrows.

Why do the Heralds even care? They're not the Guardians

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, I'd think that Silver Surfer being willing to kill someone simply because they have the starbrand and turning Firelord into yet another sexist strawman would raise more eyebrows.

Aaron writes cosmic characters like they are people from Brooklyn.

Firelord Is my favorite herald after Silverado, so i'm not surprised about him messing up another of my favorite characters.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-20-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Yeah, that's just another annoying inconsistency.

Although Surfer never managed to do much damage to Thanks and needed the help of Adam Warlock.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Well there good points too

But I was continuing the point about power displays

I did think firelord was weird

And I'm behind on surfers characterisation, I'd put that down to the recent surfer black story which I didn't read coz the art was just too weird for me

But this is Aaron, I really don't think he gets a lot of characters at all

Imo
    Last edited by kilderkin; 01-20-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, that's just another annoying inconsistency.

Although Surfer never managed to do much damage to Thanks and needed the help of Adam Warlock.
    Yeah, thanos was a par above, but without the gauntlet even Starlin had surfer hold his own enough

But you get my point
    Last edited by kilderkin; 01-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

…She Hulk managed to defeat two heralds of Galactus.
    I didn't like the visual of She-Hulk seemingly belching gamma radiation at Terrax. That aside I wonder if that is a callback of sorts to this:
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yeah, thanos was a par above, but without the gauntlet even Starlin had surfer hold his own enough

But you get my point
    Indeed. And Thanks was smart enough to realize the threat and trick Silverado by turning a member of Nebula's crew into a decoy of himself. I hate when Thanos is depicted as a thuggish brute who doesn't use his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I didn't like the visual of She-Hulk seemingly belching gamma radiation at Terrax. That aside I wonder if that is a callback of sorts to this:
    To be fair, that cartoon Is Jeph Loeb's work. And he is just as bad as Bendis and Aaron when it comes to Cosmic.

I think however good the writer if you use a mix of street level characters, mid range power dudes, planet busters, and cosmic level entities in same stories you end up with a ton of power inconsistencies.

Take the Jonathan Hickman Avengers/ New Avengers stuff...it was good..but a lot of action really didn’t make total sense IF power levels are taken seriously.

Take an obvious example...Hawkeye is supposedly a normal guy who is very well skilled with a bow. In course of series he went into a lot of fights to death against aliens using high tech weaponry. It makes zero sense that he survived!

It’s less than ideal, but I find writing characters completely different to their established personalities much more irritating.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Take an obvious example...Hawkeye is supposedly a normal guy who is very well skilled with a bow. In course of series he went into a lot of fights to death against aliens using high tech weaponry. It makes zero sense that he survived!
    True. The fact that Hawkeye and Black Widow fight alongside the other Avengers (in the movies and the comics equally) doesn't make sense at all, regardless of the writer. It's funny to me that people are so keen to keep things 'realistic' in a genre that is so unrealistic in its core AND even at every opportunity.
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

That's Clint's superpower. He survives. It's why he survived so long in Old Man Logan. It's why he beat the Collector when all of his team had been collected. Its how he and Cap were the only surviving teammates and how he beat Grandmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    That's Clint's superpower. He survives. It's why he survived so long in Old Man Logan. It's why he beat the Collector when all of his team had been collected. Its how he and Cap were the only surviving teammates and how he beat Grandmaster.
    So Clint is a Unique Survivalist like Chirico Cuvie?