Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Does anybody has something to say about Thor being jobbed by Carol Danvers, a character Who has always been a tad less powerful than Thor, in the new Captain Marvel issue?
    it's her comic so it's expected.

It's Thor, so it's expected.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    it's her comic so it's expected.
    It's post-Disney Thor so it's expected.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

It's current Thor

We are lucky if he can fight his way out of the avengers HQ toilet these days

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    It's current Thor

We are lucky if he can fight his way out of the avengers HQ toilet these days
    Makes me wonder if Aaron always hated Thor and his mythos.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Makes me wonder if Aaron always hated Thor and his mythos.
    I have said before that I think the entire run is heavily biased by some real world issues and beliefs of the creative (at least what I know of them)

In an interview he fairly said as much

And I don't mean in a good way

Of course I could be wrong

But I see the huge amount of bashing of Odin, and the general concept of Thor's divinity and I don't think I am

Still, it's been enjoyed by some

I have said before that I think the entire run is heavily biased by some real world issues and beliefs of the creative (at least what I know of them)

But I see the huge amount of bashing of Odin, and the general concept of Thor's divinity and I don't think I am

I don't necessarily blame Aaron for everything. He's a competent writer who is harmstrung by a lack of imagination. He doesn't seem to be keen on the epic fantasy and space opera genres, because his main inspirations seem to be other comics, gritty thrillers and action movies. This is useful to him when writing a character like Wolverine.

But Thanos and Thor are not Wolverine, and writing asgardians and Eternals like average joes from modern day USA is a fantastic example of not' 'getting'' these characters.

I happened to come across Aaron's apparent farewell comments about Thor and he basically is happy that he wrote Thor as a normal guy with general humanistic qualities. I think the Disney synergy where now Thor is frat-boy Thor is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I happened to come across Aaron's apparent farewell comments about Thor and he basically is happy that he wrote Thor as a normal guy with general humanistic qualities. I think the Disney synergy where now Thor is frat-boy Thor is complete.
    Thor always had some humanistic qualities. Either editors told Aaron to write Thor like his MCU counterpart or he's one of those people who think powerful heroes are boring.

I miss Thor's Shakespeare speak. Have at thee base villain! Tis the god of thunder that challenges thee.

MCU Thor died with Dark World, then he was revived stronger than ever in Infinity War and then the character was assassinated for good in Endgame.

Besides you can ''humanize'' a character without giving an unprecedented losing streak and juvenile dialogue.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Thing is, this is Thor. Not Spider-Man, Hulk, or an X title (or Superman, for example, that beat the snot out of Thor due to superior #s/fan base). Thors fan base is small, so folks at Marvel just/dont/give/a/damn. In fact, I dont think many at Marvel care for the character at all.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Who wants to read about a Norse god with normal guy general qualities? That's ridiculous. You don't need to write Thor as an everyday bro to find him endearing. This is a mistake so many people have. It's not Thor's great powers or his otherworldliness that prevent you from connecting with him, it's the writer's job to give Thor motivations and needs that make you empathize with him. You can strip down Thor all you want, but if the writer doesn't make you care about what Thor's wants and his struggles, it doesn't matter. You can just as easily have him at the height of his power, and have the reader connect with what Thor is after and going through and you'll be fine. People get so hung up on the whole debate on whether him being a god with incredible power is what the problem is. It isn't. It's the writer not understanding or caring enough to but real motivations and needs behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Thing is, this is Thor. Not Spider-Man, Hulk, or an X title (or Superman, for example, that beat the snot out of Thor due to superior #s/fan base). Thors fan base is small, so folks at Marvel just/dont/give/a/damn. In fact, I dont think many at Marvel care for the character at all.
    The MCU made Thor more famous than ever. Especially Infinity War. To say nothing of Loki

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Who wants to read about a Norse god with normal guy general qualities? That's ridiculous. You don't need to write Thor as an everyday bro to find him endearing. This is a mistake so many people have. It's not Thor's great powers or his otherworldliness that prevent you from connecting with him, it's the writer's job to give Thor motivations and needs that make you empathize with him. You can strip down Thor all you want, but if the writer doesn't make you care about what Thor's wants and his struggles, it doesn't matter. You can just as easily have him at the height of his power, and have the reader connect with what Thor is after and going through and you'll be fine. People get so hung up on the whole debate on whether him being a god with incredible power is what the problem is. It isn't. It's the writer not understanding or caring enough to but real motivations and needs behind it.
    This what you get when you get a guy who doesn't care about high concept fantasy characters to write a character like Thor for 6 years.

There's also the issue that most of the current roster of Marvel writers don't care much about Marvel characters and their history. The age of Roy Thomas, Mark Gruenwald, Tom Defalco and Kurt Busiek Is long gone.

Some last minute preview from Kelly Thomson's twitter

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by mung; 11-18-2019 at 04:04 PM.

BANNED

it's like I said, even from the preview you can tell she isn't actually stronger or a match for the guy.