Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Power levels bother me less than this damned 'virtue signalling' Thor that Aaron's been writing.

Every flashback with Thor is him trying to earn being worthy of the hammer. Every good deed, every life saved, it's all for the hammer.

It turns Thor into the strawmen that atheists throw out against the religious, that they don't do good to do good, but for the promised eternal reward. And it lessens Thor, as his humility came after his time as Donald Blake. I don't know when the worthy enchantment was added to the hammer, but I do know it wasn't always there, and having Thor focused only n his hammer lessens him.
    The earning of the hammer bit was in the original Tales of Asgard backup, irrc. Each adventure would end with Thor being able to lift the Hammer higher.

Then at some point after Thor won the Hammer, Odin got P.O.'d at Thor all over again.

Why exactly Odin stuck Thor in the Don Blake persona has been retconned more than once.

The new stories might just make explicit what the Lee Kirby stories implied: Thor must have done something to piss Odin off and there must have been a reason Odin didn't just give him Mijonir outright.

If it helps any Odin comes off as even a bigger d bag than he did in the Silver Age. Which is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The earning of the hammer bit was in the original Tales of Asgard backup, irrc. Each adventure would end with Thor being able to lift the Hammer higher.

Then at some point after Thor won the Hammer, Odin got P.O.'d at Thor all over again.

Why exactly Odin stuck Thor in the Don Blake persona has been retconned more than once.

The new stories might just make explicit what the Lee Kirby stories implied: Thor must have done something to piss Odin off and there must have been a reason Odin didn't just give him Mijonir outright.

If it helps any Odin comes off as even a bigger d bag than he did in the Silver Age. Which is saying something.
    Well, in the least you can say whatever Odin was doing worked. Thor didn't end up being anywhere near as big a d bag as his dad (and 90% of his peers for that matter). So earning worthiness or whatever from earning the hammer seemingly did him some good.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In regard to this particular run, I think I am far less biased than you.

Thor is constantly show as drinking and eating to excess. What else does one call it when having saved a village from a raiding dragon one proceeds to eat and drink more than the dragon ever took? It’s clear he’s being shown as selfish, happy to take more than he gives.

And I don’t understand your notion that Jane Thor and Thor aren’t being constantly compared. It’s true they don’t fight directly...but let’s consider a few other things.

One can lift the hammer, one can’t.

One constantly eats and drinks to excess, one doesn’t.

One is faithful to their lover, one isn’t.

One completes three classic tasks with more finesse than the other.

One sacrifices their health every time they are Thor.

One fails to defeat Mangog, one defeats Mangog and is willing to make a sacrifice that appals and awes the other.

Can you really tell me with a straight face that Jane Thor is not being compared to Thor,and being portrayed as superior??
    This. Aaron turning Jane into his pet character doesn't bother me as much as having Odinson constantly beaten up by characters that should be a step or two below him. Even without Mjolnir he still has Superman-like strenght and centuries of fighting experience. And also he turned Thor into a insecure manchild obsessed with his hammer.

And btw Gorr is not an original villain. He's basically the goth edgelord version of Desaak the Godslayer from Dan Jurgens run.

Fantastic Member

Jason Aaron is such an idiot and useless as portraying Thors power nowadays that he straight up made a needlessly convoluted way for King Thor to throw his hammer into the Sun so it lights up on fire and then use it to burn a side of a planet with it made of napalm. Does Aaron not know that lightning creates fire as well? Or has he even forgot that he had Thor create a literal fire rain? How about the fact that he is just King Thor meaning he has Odinforce/Thorforce but he can't even destroy one planet? This is beyond stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Jason Aaron is such an idiot and useless as portraying Thors power nowadays that he straight up made a needlessly convoluted way for King Thor to throw his hammer into the Sun so it lights up on fire and then use it to burn a side of a planet with it made of napalm. Does Aaron not know that lightning creates fire as well? Or has he even forgot that he had Thor create a literal fire rain? How about the fact that he is just King Thor meaning he has Odinforce/Thorforce but he can't even destroy one planet? This is beyond stupid...
    Yeah, we are getting close to Bendis levels of infuriating inconsistencies. Aaron doesn't seem to know that Mjolnir can do more than just shoot lightning bolts. Classic Thor with Mjolnir can absorb energy and reflected against foes, teleport across worlds and shoot an uber powerful energy wave called God Blast or Bolt of Anti-Force.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    This. Aaron turning Jane into his pet character doesn't bother me as much as having Odinson constantly beaten up by characters that should be a step or two below him. Even without Mjolnir he still has Superman-like strenght and centuries of fighting experience. And also he turned Thor into a insecure manchild obsessed with his hammer.

And btw Gorr is not an original villain. He's basically the goth edgelord version of Desaak the Godslayer from Dan Jurgens run.
    Deask is more reasonable though, he stopped attacking after Thor and Herc are shown to be unlike those ******* gods and only return after King Thor showed concerning signs.
    While Gorr is just "All Gods are bad!"

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Deask is more reasonable though, he stopped attacking after Thor and Herc are shown to be unlike those ******* gods and only return after King Thor showed concerning signs.
    While Gorr is just "All Gods are bad!"
    That's why he's the goth edgelord version of Desaak.

Desak was a pretty cool character.

spoilers:
    Gorr is gonna be ruined in King Thor storyline.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Aaron Is pretty inconsistent even with his writing so i'm not surprise if he's gonna mess that character up.

I think with his ''Jobber Thor'' saga, Aaron was trying to do something like Daredevil Born Again, a story where the hero reaches rock bottom and goes through the mud before making a triumphant comeback. The problem is his story relied on writing characters in a manner that is inconstent with the events and words of previous runs (like when Strange told Thor that he will die if Mjolnir Is destroyed again). And it took too long to get to the triumphant comeback part. It doesn't help that Thor still feels nerfed badly even after getting Mjolnir back. Old King Thor should be a semi-reality warper with the Odinforce but he's unable to cause more than just tectonic level destruction.

I miss pre-mcu Thor and pre-2014 Thor. Everything made after 2010 made me really enjoy the older Thor stories that are often overlooked (like the Eternals saga and the Fake Ragnarok saga by Roy Thomas and the early parts of Defalco's run and the Gerry Conway run where Firelord Is introduced)
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 09-17-2019 at 09:42 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

More like MCU Thor than Hercules.
    6 = half dozen...
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Can't ruin what already sucks.

Gorr's stance pretty much amounts to racism. Harmless in a real world context (I want to be clear on that), but even harmless racism is still stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    6 = half dozen...
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Can't ruin what already sucks.

Gorr's stance pretty much amounts to racism. Harmless in a real world context (I want to be clear on that), but even harmless racism is still stupid.
    He's definetely a one trick pony villain.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

What do you mean?
    It's a idiom meaning they are the same thing.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20the%20other

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    My problem with the Unworthy Thor is that it fails to make Thor, God of Thunder. Instead, it makes him Thor, God of Hammers.

Seriously, Thor Ragnarok solved my biggest problem with the Thor mythos and that was a comedy.
    In the Unworthy Thor mini I was hoping that Thor would stop feeling sorry for himself and realize that he's been too dependent on his hammer and that he's been using it as a crutch.
    He didn't, Even though both Jane and mother tell him that he doesn't need it, and that he was more than a hammer but he's still obsessed with it, feels like he's nothing without it and he needs it to be complete.

Self-pity is such a seductive emotion, and it really hurt to see Thor constantly wallow in it, it would be so much more powerful it Thor learned to not let a chunk of uru define his worth.

I really wish that Gorr was the antagonist of WotR instead Malekith. Jane-Thor and Regular Thor are fighting him together, gorr knocks the hammer out of Jane's hand, and Thor instinctively picks it up and WHAM....Jane and gorr freeze astonished at the moment, Thor smiles hands the hammer back to Jane, and they take gorr down together.